CG Bones Hyland In Home Visit 5/1 | The Boneyard

CG Bones Hyland In Home Visit 5/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I imagine we get one of either Nah'Shon or Demarr. Hopefully one pulls the trigger soon.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Bones was a composite top 100 player before he tore his meniscus last spring, he was actually the highest rated player on WeR1 at the start of the AAU season last year, ranked higher than Isaiah Wong. That injury just happened at the absolute wrong time. There would have been a lot more high major interest had he not been injured. What I like about him is that he’s a much better ball handler than our other 2 guards we’re bringing in. Also worth noting that Bouknight also had a meniscus tear, I don’t necessarily like the idea of building a team around kids who were underrecruited because of injury. Luckily we do have a phenomenal S&C coach in Sal.

Reaction Score
Bones was a composite top 100 player before he tore his meniscus last spring, he was actually the highest rated player on WeR1 at the start of the AAU season last year, ranked higher than Isaiah Wong. That injury just happened at the absolute wrong time. There would have been a lot more high major interest had he not been injured. What I like about him is that he’s a much better ball handler than our other 2 guards we’re bringing in. Also worth noting that Bouknight also had a meniscus tear, I don’t necessarily like the idea of building a team around kids who were underrecruited because of injury. Luckily we do have a phenomenal S&C coach in Sal.

He's not a great ballhandler from what I've seen. He makes decent decisions with the ball, but he's not getting to the rim much at all in the aac if he can't improve his handle.

But gaffney and bouknight aren't known for their handle either. Hurley prioritizes length and athleticism, then shooting when recruiting.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to prioritize skills a bit more than KO did. He seems to recruit guys that don’t leave you worried they can compete. Athletic guys with reasonable ball skills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if sticking with bouknight through his injury is something that helps here. Might be reassuring to someone coming off a major injury

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley seems to prioritize skills a bit more than KO did. He seems to recruit guys that don’t leave you worried they can compete. Athletic guys with reasonable ball skills.
I hope so - I really do because that is a need for sure
JA and AG have no skills?
B Adams so far hasn't fit that mold

Reaction Score
Why is this kid playing AAU right now if he is 2019?

Reaction Score
Why is this kid playing AAU right now if he is 2019?

He was injured last Spring and Summer and still recovering from jumping out a window/dealing with trauma. He’ll benefit from both the exposure and the minutes now, then stop playing when he commits.

Reaction Score
He's not a great ballhandler from what I've seen. He makes decent decisions with the ball, but he's not getting to the rim much at all in the aac if he can't improve his handle.

But gaffney and bouknight aren't known for their handle either. Hurley prioritizes length and athleticism, then shooting when recruiting.
Length and athleticism go a long way on the defensive end.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
there is a great story on Hyland on The Athletic today outlining the details of the fire:

Reaction Score

Well @kansashusky went to see him play recently and stated the following on the other thread,

"Had the chance to watch him this weekend, and I was impressed. Very crafty and creative play maker, but does everything within the flow of the game, and does not turn the ball over. I think he will end up in the top 100 for all services here soon.

Frame is a bit lacking, but he reminded me of a poor man's Brandon Knight."

He didn't mention he had trouble with his handle. I doubt Hurley is recruiting a PG who can't dribble.

Reaction Score
His handle is flashy, but he’s one of the few players his age who can get away with it. He has remarkable hand-eye coordination and quick hands. He even ties his shoes fast. When the ball is in his hands, it’s like it has a charge in it. The rapid pace of his dribbles is discomforting for defenders. One coach recruiting him notes that he over-dribbles on occasion, but some of that is Bones messing with his man. In WeR1’s final game of the weekend, a defender scowls as Bones works the clock near half court, repeatedly putting the ball between his legs and crossing over before finally attacking.

He excelled in Kansas City working out of ball-screen action. He can pass with either hand and was able to read the defense, hitting rollers or throwing skip passes to open shooters. “He’s one of the most terrific passers you’re ever going to see,” Griffin says. “He can score a lot of points, but boy, a lot of people make comments about how well he passes the ball and threads the needle. He can see things long before they happen on the court.”

Reaction Score
His handle is flashy, but he’s one of the few players his age who can get away with it. He has remarkable hand-eye coordination and quick hands. He even ties his shoes fast. When the ball is in his hands, it’s like it has a charge in it. The rapid pace of his dribbles is discomforting for defenders. One coach recruiting him notes that he over-dribbles on occasion, but some of that is Bones messing with his man. In WeR1’s final game of the weekend, a defender scowls as Bones works the clock near half court, repeatedly putting the ball between his legs and crossing over before finally attacking.

He excelled in Kansas City working out of ball-screen action. He can pass with either hand and was able to read the defense, hitting rollers or throwing skip passes to open shooters. “He’s one of the most terrific passers you’re ever going to see,” Griffin says. “He can score a lot of points, but boy, a lot of people make comments about how well he passes the ball and threads the needle. He can see things long before they happen on the court.”
Sounds like a point guard to me.

Reaction Score

hahaha That made me chuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger