CBB Trial | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CBB Trial

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is what happens when your kid graduates and his natural ability was the only thing that could make you successful.

Not gonna lie, wish my nonexistent kid could do the same things as Brian Bowen

Reaction Score
How do the shoe companies possibly recoup that money? $100,000 for the #20 recruit? Considering it's a risk that A) they make it big enough to sell any shoes at all outside of the top 10, B) they even sign with your company after they make it big or get drafted, C) any result won't be for YEARS and you could just invest that money elsewhere, and D) there's some % chance you could sign them even without the college steering once they made it big.

I know shoe margins are high, but there's less than 20 guys in the NBA with their own shoe, let alone #20 in a particular high school class.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He's talking about Doug McDermott, not Bowen.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh, got it. Makes more sense.

Still wish my nonexistent kid could ball like Bowen tho

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How do the shoe companies possibly recoup that money? $100,000 for the #20 recruit? Considering it's a risk that A) they make it big enough to sell any shoes at all outside of the top 10, B) they even sign with your company after they make it big or get drafted, C) any result won't be for YEARS and you could just invest that money elsewhere, and D) there's some % chance you could sign them even without the college steering once they made it big.

I know shoe margins are high, but there's less than 20 guys in the NBA with their own shoe, let alone #20 in a particular high school class.

It's more about holding on to your spot. If you get kids to school's that want them, they're more likely to hold you in good favor. Contracts with schools, access, any kind of ancillary benefit you can think of. And any kid who goes there who blows up, regardless of whether they were with you or not, is essentially yours when he goes pro.

And universities are effectively marketing their brand for them.

Reaction Score
Except for that pesky 200k scholarship. 250k if they go 5 years. Plus, if we're being honest, all the birds and post college connections you could ever want.

Not saying everything is equitable for major sports, but don't pretend like they get nothing out of the deal. Nearly 100% of dudes would be D1 athletes if they could, so it's obviously a huge benefit.
$200K scholarship? You mean the thing that can be revoked after any year and is full of easy classes because even the university doesn't consider education a priority? It's the bare minimum, and hardly worth that much. They deserve to be paid over the table, straight up.

Reaction Score
$200K scholarship? You mean the thing that can be revoked after any year and is full of easy classes because even the university doesn't consider education a priority? It's the bare minimum, and hardly worth that much. They deserve to be paid over the table, straight up.

The scholarship is massively valuable AND they deserve to be paid over the tab;e at revenue generating schools.

Simple.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
It's more about holding on to your spot. If you get kids to school's that want them, they're more likely to hold you in good favor. Contracts with schools, access, any kind of ancillary benefit you can think of. And any kid who goes there who blows up, regardless of whether they were with you or not, is essentially yours when he goes pro.
And universities are effectively marketing their brand for them.

Also, Adidas revenue (according to the internet) was north of $20 Billion last year. $100k is a drop in the ocean.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Well if it's worth that little, I guess they should give it out to all the students.

And if the kid wants to take real classes, he can. Plenty do it. If they don't want to, they don't.

Really though, it should just turn into a semi pro league. No association w the school other than the unis and the arena. No classes, no school life, no nothing. And pay the players as employees.

Reaction Score
This is why I think our posters/fans should tread lightly when mocking other schools for violations/paying players. Besides the fact we haven't been a completely clean program, there's virtually no way to compete at the level we have, without having some skeletons in the closet. I have no first-hand knowledge, but if our fans think our only transgressions are what we've been punished for, I think that's pretty naive.

Just hoping we come out the other side of this clean.

Yup.

Never ask how the Tuna is caught.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no first-hand knowledge, but if our fans think our only transgressions are what we've been punished for, I think that's pretty naive.
Then why speculate.

Reaction Score
This is why I think our posters/fans should tread lightly when mocking other schools for violations/paying players. Besides the fact we haven't been a completely clean program, there's virtually no way to compete at the level we have, without having some skeletons in the closet. I have no first-hand knowledge, but if our fans think our only transgressions are what we've been punished for, I think that's pretty naive.

Just hoping we come out the other side of this clean.
We offer facetime with Ray Allen and Rudy Gay.

CL82

Reaction Score
I said I didn't have firsthand knowledge, that doesn't mean I haven't heard things from people who do.
Doesn't mean that you do either. (As an aside, "I know a guy who says..." statements are the bane of the internet.)

Why don't we leave the harmful speculation about our programs to others? They seem to have it covered adequately.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean that you do either. (As an aside, "I know a guy who says..." statements are the bane of the internet.)

Why don't we leave the harmful speculation about our programs to others? They seem to have it covered adequately.
I literally said "I don't" twice, i'm not sure why you're "correcting" me by saying "doesn't mean that you do...".

It's not harmful. But I'll agree not to discuss it as soon as our posters stop doing the exact same thing to other "$chool$".

(as an aside, I wouldn't say "I know a guy who says" it would be "I know a guy who saw").

CL82

Reaction Score
I literally said "I don't" twice, i'm not sure why you're "correcting" me by saying "doesn't mean that you do...".
Yeah I should have said did not do: see below:
Doesn't mean that you did either.

I'll agree not to discuss it as soon as our posters stop doing the exact same thing to other "$chool$".
So you [feces] talk us because your mad about what other guys post? Not following that logic at all.
(as an aside, I wouldn't say "I know a guy who says" it would be "I know a guy who saw").
No actually it would be: "I know a guy who says he saw..." Right?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah I should have said did not do: see below:

So you [feces] talk us because your mad about what other guys post? Not following that logic at all.

No actually it would be: "I know a guy who says he saw..." Right?

Settle CL. He's not blowing up our spot. The original point is that EVERYBODY does these things. And I'm willing to bet that's very close to accurate.

When you see schools like Creighton offering $100k + a well paid job, you know it's an incredibly rampant practice. And UCONN's a big shoe school, which says something as well.

We aren't in the cross hairs for anything so far, which is the most important point.

CL82

Reaction Score
Settle CL. He's not blowing up our spot. The original point is that EVERYBODY does these things. And I'm willing to bet that's very close to accurate.

When you see schools like Creighton offering $100k + a well paid job, you know it's an incredibly rampant practice. And UCONN's a big shoe school, which says something as well.

We aren't in the cross hairs for anything so far, which is the most important point.
I hear you. But I hate the posts that needlessly post sheet about UConn based on "I know a guy BS." It's pointless. It is at best an attempted humble brag at faux insider status (and 'quite frankly' Chief's got that niche all sewed up) and at worst smear on the school. Just in case you think I'm over cautious I remind you that posts on the BY have been used by another school in a complaint to the NCAA and actually resulted in a secondary violation. I'd advise people to take that crap to PM if you really feel compelled to spout about it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Of course that’s a violation, how could the writer think otherwise?

So he thought everyone could offer every recruit infinite money and nothing happens if they don’t prove it was paid?

They’re actively trying to do the oldest, dirtiest trick in the book.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom