CBB Trial | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CBB Trial

Reaction Score
Former Huskies star Markelle Fultz received $10K from sports agent before arriving at UW, report says
Fultz reportedly received a $10,000 loan from the agency, according to a balance sheet dated Dec. 31, 2015, which is an impermissible benefit and a violation of NCAA recruiting rules. According to that timeline, he received the loan after signing with UW in early November 2015 and before coming to school the next fall.
Hope the UW Huskies don't have to forfeit those 9 wins.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The question for me is, are any of these schools even going to get punished? Or will the NCAA simply sweep under the rug and say there was too much corruption to individually punish. "We've rooted it out now". Which is BS.

Reaction Score
The question for me is, are any of these schools even going to get punished? Or will the NCAA simply sweep under the rug and say there was too much corruption to individually punish. "We've rooted it out now". Which is BS.
That's my question also. And if the trial shows so many schools were offering money and the NCAA does nothing about it then you might as well throw out the whole NCAA model and start over.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's my question also. And if the trial shows so many schools were offering money and the NCAA does nothing about it then you might as well throw out the whole NCAA model and start over.

Never really thought of it like this. The NCAAs inaction on this matter could be the 'excuse' the P5s use to break off and form a new world. Who knows?

Reaction Score
During opening statements Tuesday, attorneys for a former Adidas executive did not deny he conspired to or made payments to the families of high-profile basketball recruits.

"NCAA rules were broken," attorney Casey Donnelly told the jury. "We are not going to waste your time pretending these families did not get funds."

Attorneys: Ex-Adidas exec didn't break laws

James Gatto is not disputing that money changed hands. So now that that's out of the way what does the NCAA do? This is going to be very interesting.

Reaction Score
I was in the room yesterday as a potential juror. For obvious reasons I was not picked
Wow, I would have loved to be on that jury. Although I'm not sure I would want to be a juror on a trial that is going to last weeks.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
During opening statements Tuesday, attorneys for a former Adidas executive did not deny he conspired to or made payments to the families of high-profile basketball recruits.

"NCAA rules were broken," attorney Casey Donnelly told the jury. "We are not going to waste your time pretending these families did not get funds."

Attorneys: Ex-Adidas exec didn't break laws

James Gatto is not disputing that money changed hands. So now that that's out of the way what does the NCAA do? This is going to be very interesting.

Uh, what about the claims they appropriated those cash payments to bogus expenses accounting wise? Isn't that laundering, wire-fraud, or something like that?

Reaction Score
Uh, what about the claims they appropriated those cash payments to bogus expenses accounting wise? Isn't that laundering, wire-fraud, or something like that?

Oh yes, they're very 'd.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

How is this fair to the schools that played by the rules though?

I had no hope that schools that cheated were gonna get punished before Monday, but after what I’ve been reading that fbi essentially told ncaa to stay clear until things played out, I’m hoping some big punishments come down. I hate seeing scumbags like Sean Miller still coaching out there

Reaction Score
How is this fair to the schools that played by the rules though?
Well if the NCAA is saying it's O.K. to pay recruits with no retribution then doesn't that change the whole model? Opens up a huge can of worms. Do you then put schools in 2 categories - one that wants to pay recruits and another that doesn't?

Reaction Score
Well if the NCAA is saying it's O.K. to pay recruits with no retribution then doesn't that change the whole model? Opens up a huge can of worms. Do you then put schools in 2 categories - one that wants to pay recruits and another that doesn't?

Fans of schools like Louisville are confident the NCAA won't charge them/won't see a big penalty. I'm with you guys. The precedent would be insane. Considering the NCAA changed their rules to allow 3rd party findings to be admissible as evidence for enforcement, I think they're just waiting for the trials to end and for everything to get out and be shared with NCAA.

If they don't charge these schools, it would be pretty easy for a school that gets busted for improper benefits to sue the NCAA for selective enforcement. Even if the school didn't win, it would be a major black eye for the NCAA on top of all this FBI stuff.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Would this involve some sort of anti-trust issues given the non profit status of universities?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom