Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We should probably give this guy a break- all this discussion of a NCAA tournament bids has him very confused.

Back when UConn started playing in the BE, a period that these PC fans like to point out as pre-1990 when UConn was nothing, UConn regularly rolled Providence. Go look at the games from the early 1980s. UConn OWNED Providence.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No doubt that UCONN has had a very successful run. The problem is that barring ND and Texas, TV contracts aren't given to individual schools, they are given to conferences. See, as good as UCONN has been, ESPN pays for games that require two teams. UCONN/Cuse, UCONN/Ville, UCONN/Gtown, even UCONN/PC due to it's penchant for upsets. When a worthwhile partner isn't available, the value of UCONN's "provided success" is greatly diminished.

ESPN pays for games that draw eyeballs to their network. Those games typically include highly ranked teams. UConn has the promise of a highly ranked team. PC has the promise that tomorrow will be called Saturday.

Reaction Score
PC is and will always be a small, Catholic school with limited resources, in a third tier New England city. As a result, we will always be at the whim of young successful coaches; the conference realignment makes that all the more volatile. That said, if Ed Cooley loves PC as much as he says (I've been watching this team since Billy D was a slow chunky point guard and I can assure you Cooley is different) we will enjoy some extended success, especially if the new Big East sees some early success.

UCONN will recover quickly if anyone takes them. At this point, they're still waiting for the ACC to implode. If they catch on with someone, and I don't think that's an automatic, they'll be fine.

All and all, Providence is much more volatile and sensitive to change, but in a good place. UCONN is much more stable, but in a bad place.

Reaction Score
ESPN pays for games that draw eyeballs to their network. Those games typically include highly ranked teams. UConn has the promise of a highly ranked team. PC has the promise that tomorrow will be called Saturday.

In year when UConn is banned and down, we've been appearing on ESPN regularly. There's a reason why ESPN contracted with our conference. It's because they can sell UConn everywhere as one of the top 5 schools in the nation.

Reaction Score
Please educate me Superjohn
I already did, UConn never went after Dunn hard and completely stopped recruiting him months before he picked PC. UConn backed off Ledo very early as did UK and everyone else. LeFleur was passed over and wanted a fresh start as lead assistant. Ledo will never play a minute for you guys. I keep repeating the same things for you and you still don't seem to be grasping any of it. I'm done with you now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sure fishy, NO ONE wanted a lottery pick on their roster, nah.

When Louisville bails on a kid for grades, there's trouble - kid has a JUCO transcript.

He went where he could - PC doesn't even sniff him if his grades aren't a grease fire.

Reaction Score
Ledo committed to PC when Keno was coaching. He re-upped with Cooley. Grades are an issue; plenty of schools still called. L'ville didn't bail for grades btw. Pitino was ready to coach the PR national team to get Ledo on board. FACT.

Reaction Score
Calhoun and the big East were two of the main selling points in recruiting over the years. Obviously the new big East won't have the same cache as the old one, but the brand equity certainly wouldn't have hurt to keep.

Uconn will be fine in the short term, but without those two selling points it's fair to question the long term stability if we don't land in a power conference soon. Ollie has done a fine job maintaining the status quo, but he has yet to show he can land big time recruits and this won't make it any easier. To thrive year in and year out in a bad conference is not impossible but it takes a special coach and more than past success to do so

Reaction Score
I already did, UConn never went after Dunn hard and completely stopped recruiting him months before he picked PC. UConn backed off Ledo very early as did UK and everyone else. LeFleur was passed over and wanted a fresh start as lead assistant. Ledo will never play a minute for you guys. I keep repeating the same things for you and you still don't seem to be grasping any of it. I'm done with you now.

UCONN backed off Dunn bc Cooley had him locked up. FACT Are you really selling that Uconn didnt want a mcDs AA?
UCONN backed off Ledo bc is was widely known that IF Ledo went to college it was PC FACT
The majority of this board(and JC) laughed at the thought of AL's going to PC. The laughing stopped when Ed called JC from AL's house and told him what was what. FACT
I notice you didn't address Austin...cat got your tongue?

Reaction Score
The BS you're spewing isn't facts at all, I'm sorry but you're too stupid to argue with.

Reaction Score
UCONN backed off Dunn bc Cooley had him locked up. FACT Are you really selling that Uconn didnt want a mcDs AA?
UCONN backed off Ledo bc is was widely known that IF Ledo went to college it was PC FACT
The majority of this board(and JC) laughed at the thought of AL's going to PC. The laughing stopped when Ed called JC from AL's house and told him what was what. FACT
I notice you didn't address Austin...cat got your tongue?
Man, at first I thought you were just throwing out more of your usual delusion, but then I noticed you typed fact all in caps. So I guess you win.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There are more than 119. In fact, there are more than double the number you gave. You don't know what you're talking about. Which is not surprising. And not only that, but you won't acknowledge what I wrote. They were better than hundreds and in the top 5.

There were 124 division 1 football teams in 2012

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I figured we had at least one more season to get acclimated to this crap...so much for that.

I am curious ... What qualies a school to be a "Catholic" school?

It seems like anything other that a state university qualifies.

Reaction Score
Nope, over 240

Remember, d1 fbs and d1 fcs.

The combine takes all comers from all schools.

To prove some point about D1, you might be the only person in the history of the world to combine FCS with the FBS.

There are 124 football teams that can qualify for a BCS bowl, that is all that really matters.

What's next? Yes, we were the best basketball program out of 1,456 collegiate programs in the US?

Reaction Score
and there is a decent chance one of your professors is a pederast.

Reaction Score
What joke, fool. UConn was in a BCS game 2 short years ago. 3 years ago we clobbered S. Carolina in a bowl in Birmingham Ala. Yeah, we slipped a bit with our coaching change, but we just had a great recruiting class. Just as soon as the next ACC team moves (and that will be definately within the next 2 years) UConn gets the call.
BTW, what about Rutgers entire athletic dep't.? Look where they are going. Enjoy your association that has 4 of your 7 founding members (including PC) with little, or no big dance appearances in the 21st century.

Congrats to be the worst program in the history of the BCS to make an appearance. Color me impressed.

Let's cool the credit cowboy. You were what, an 8-4 team who won one of the worst BCS auto-bids in the history of the Big East and BCS?

You then proceeded to show how mediocre the conference was when you went to the Fiesta and got embarrassed, not just by lousy fan support but getting cranked on the field.

But you made a game you didn't belong in, congrats!

Reaction Score
Congrats to be the worst program in the history of the BCS to make an appearance. Color me impressed.

Let's cool the credit cowboy. You were what, an 8-4 team who won one of the worst BCS auto-bids in the history of the Big East and BCS?

You then proceeded to show how mediocre the conference was when you went to the Fiesta and got embarrassed, not just by lousy fan support but getting cranked on the field.

But you made a game you didn't belong in, congrats!
You must be super excited about getting this account approved. I know you were worried it wouldn't happen over on the PC board.

Reaction Score
You must be super excited about getting this account approved. I know you were worried it wouldn't happen.

Call it a pleasant surprise! I just hear everything over here is all lucky charms and rainbows, and I can see why.

Holy Moly talk about a glass half full living in the past group.

Note to Boneyard: What happened 20 years, 10 years, 5 years, 5 months ago doesn't mean long-term success. Who cares what you did last year? Only matters what you are going to do in the future. Can I get an Amen?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Note to Boneyard: What happened 20 years, 10 years, 5 years, 5 months ago doesn't mean long-term success.

Youre right, PC's multi generational failure is a far more accurate barometer of potential future success.

Reaction Score
Youre right, PC's multi generational failure is a far more accurate barometer of potential future success.

It actually perfectly illustrates the point. Great program in the 60s, good success early 70s, maybe a bunch of dumb moves, made a slight comeback from Pitino through Gillen (majority), made more dumb moves, on the way back up.

PC being successful in the 60s and early 70s meant crap because they didn't have the right mold to support it. PC making a Final 4 under Pitino was not followed by the right moves afterwards, same with Gillen in the Elite 8.

Now they are CLEARLY moving in the right direction. Only a moron would look at the past 15 years as a reason why they can't be good, when they are clearly an improved borderline on way of breaking through team.

They will finish BE .500, lose only 1 player, and bring in at least 4 new players next season (2 of whom were Top 100 players, 1 of whom was a Top 150 player, and potentially Ledo, really wildcard, who is a 5 star guy). Even if Ledo doesn't play, they will be ready to break through.

But it takes the right moves to get there, and those are not a guarantee.

Reaction Score
To prove some point about D1, you might be the only person in the history of the world to combine FCS with the FBS.

There are 124 football teams that can qualify for a BCS bowl, that is all that really matters.

What's next? Yes, we were the best basketball program out of 1,456 collegiate programs in the US?

I was talking about the combine. Don't be an idiot. And yes plenty of those players are invited. 43 this year or about 15% of the total.

Reaction Score
It actually perfectly illustrates the point. Great program in the 60s, good success early 70s, maybe a bunch of dumb moves, made a slight comeback from Pitino through Gillen (majority), made more dumb moves, on the way back up.

PC being successful in the 60s and early 70s meant crap because they didn't have the right mold to support it. PC making a Final 4 under Pitino was not followed by the right moves afterwards, same with Gillen in the Elite 8.

Now they are CLEARLY moving in the right direction. Only a moron would look at the past 15 years as a reason why they can't be good, when they are clearly an improved borderline on way of breaking through team.

They will finish BE .500, lose only 1 player, and bring in at least 4 new players next season (2 of whom were Top 100 players, 1 of whom was a Top 150 player, and potentially Ledo, really wildcard, who is a 5 star guy). Even if Ledo doesn't play, they will be ready to break through.

But it takes the right moves to get there, and those are not a guarantee.

Pitino was Dom Perno's whipping boy. Go look at the record.

Reaction Score
I was talking about the combine. Don't be an idiot. And yes plenty of those players are invited. 43 this year or about 15% of the total.

D2 players can make it to. Shall we include them as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom