Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Catholic schools leaving this year, taking Big East name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PC has beaten the almighty UCONN on two back-to-back recruiting classes, barring a big play by UCONN at the end of this recruiting period and PC staying pat.

The C7 is not the best, but the Big East will be a better conference top-to-bottom than the mismatched load of baloney the other side will have.

PC has a built in recruiting advantage - they stopped pretending to be a place of higher education long ago.

Reaction Score
Y
It really doesn't matter. UConn has also lost to South Florida.
In that same span, UConn has been to 2 Final 4s and won a national championship.

Now that's what matters. If having a better football record mattered, we'd be in the ACC over Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse, because we have better football records and basketball records against them.

Your boy ricco wanted to know how PC stacked up on the court. I was just educating him

Reaction Score
If Providence is a joke and all of that jazz, then the talent they are pulling in shouldn't even be comparable in theory right? That's the point. UCONN is the top, PC is dirt according to you guys. Yet PC is bringing in legit players under Cooley.

2014 will also be a big year for PC, right now at least 3 openings, possibly 4 or 5 depending on how things play out. Should be interesting.

And again, you can't even compare the bad of the C7 to the bad of the baloney 11. Aren't even comparable. Not endorsing DePaul and others as powerhouses, but if you put them in a round robin against SMU, East Carolina, Tulane, etc., they'd easily boast a winning record.

And by big year you mean make the NIT, right?

Reaction Score
PC has a built in recruiting advantage - they stopped pretending to be a place of higher education long ago.

Says the fan of a program banned from postseason play for academic violations

Reaction Score
Y

Your boy ricco wanted to know how PC stacked up on the court. I was just educating him

That's silly. UConn is far and away ahead. Just because UConn football beat Notre Dame doesn't mean UConn is in that league.

Reaction Score

Academic violations? Uh, no. It's not a violation.

And, FYI, Harvard last year didn't make its APR. Is that a joke school too?

Reaction Score
Easily the dumbest, most myopic statement in the history of this board. Including HFDs rants

Congrats on being a complete fraud

Really? Are you serious? You would take Dunn and a guy that's never going to play over Calhoun?

Ledo is your Bynum. I don't think anyone here preferred our commit Bynum over the bigs we missed by taking him. And the Tar Heels surely didn't lament that it lost on his recruitment.

Reaction Score
When did UConn beat nd

For the record, I don't think PC stacks up to UConn in hoops. The huskies have been the gold standard in college basket ball for the last 15 years

Reaction Score
When did UConn beat nd

For the record, I don't think PC stacks up to UConn in hoops. The huskies have been the gold standard in college basket ball for the last 15 years

It's nice to know you knock UConn football without following it.

Reaction Score

Right, we have real classes where you get bad grades if you don't try. I guess we finally agree on something.

Reaction Score
Do you PC kids actually think Ledo will play for you guys next season? Also do any of you actually think Dunn is better than Omar Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Do you PC kids actually think Ledo will play for you guys next season? Also do any of you actually think Dunn is better than Omar Calhoun?

Ledo - 50/50 at best. If I had to bet, I'd say no.

As for Dunn/Calhoun, if you asked me who has had a better season, OC. But he also has been the beneficiary of having a full summer and fall of workouts, and playing closer to his national position. Dunn wasn't taking contact until December, and is playing the #3 with the ball out of his hands most of the game. KD has a ton of potential that at least for this season was partially stunted because of his injury and having to play minutes way out of position.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No doubt that UCONN has had a very successful run. The problem is that barring ND and Texas, TV contracts aren't given to individual schools, they are given to conferences. See, as good as UCONN has been, ESPN pays for games that require two teams. UCONN/Cuse, UCONN/Ville, UCONN/Gtown, even UCONN/PC due to it's penchant for upsets. When a worthwhile partner isn't available, the value of UCONN's "provided success" is greatly diminished.
PROVIDED SUCCESS???? What kind of moron are you? Who provided UCONN 3 champuionships in past 15 years? Speaking of providing - what the hell has PC provided for the Big East since joining except comical fans, a roaming dj who is obnoxious during your home games and an occasional decent player (Gomes who is from CT!) Your athletic department is pathetic as is your facilities. I think you are acting stupid here as a joke because if you aren't you are a joke

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is starting to grow on me.
thats good because body hair doesnt grow on little boys until they rach 14 or so, don't worry, your time will come. your mommy wants you to brush your teeth so good night junior

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
PC loses 1 starter and brings in a top 50 frosh and a lottery pick...
Returns the BE leading scorer, BE top returning rebounder and one of the conferences top big men
POWERBALL or the CLASSIC LOTTO? who the hell do you have that is a lottery pick?

caw

Reaction Score
Ledo - 50/50 at best. If I had to bet, I'd say no.

As for Dunn/Calhoun, if you asked me who has had a better season, OC. But he also has been the beneficiary of having a full summer and fall of workouts, and playing closer to his national position. Dunn wasn't taking contact until December, and is playing the #3 with the ball out of his hands most of the game. KD has a ton of potential that at least for this season was partially stunted because of his injury and having to play minutes way out of position.

I actually agree with this, Dunn is being played out of position. That said, he probably didn't have enough time to play the PG this year in college due to his injury and Council is a pretty darn good PG (offensively).

Going forward, not sure if Dunn or Calhoun will be the better player, but Calhoun has really been solid in BE play. Dunn needs a ton of work on his shot. Calhoun on his handle.

caw

Reaction Score
Y

What is the all-time record again? or if we are going by your fellow PC fans take (last year doesn't count) what is the record this year?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UCONN backed off Dunn bc Cooley had him locked up. FACT Are you really selling that Uconn didnt want a mcDs AA?
UCONN backed off Ledo bc is was widely known that IF Ledo went to college it was PC FACT
The majority of this board(and JC) laughed at the thought of AL's going to PC. The laughing stopped when Ed called JC from AL's house and told him what was what. FACT
I notice you didn't address Austin...cat got your tongue?
UCONN and PC - neither was Dunn's first choice- he chose PC when things didn't work out at 2 other schools and he didn't see the PT at UCONN that PC could afford him-straight from one of his best friends mouth
Ledo wanted UK and UK only but when UK found out his eligibility would be 25/75 at best, they backed off. Glen Miller advised UCONN to stay away. He went to PC because Cooley had a scholorship to burn and took a shot. If Cooley called JC the laughter came from JC's end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Congrats to be the worst program in the history of the BCS to make an appearance. Color me impressed.

Let's cool the credit cowboy. You were what, an 8-4 team who won one of the worst BCS auto-bids in the history of the Big East and BCS?

You then proceeded to show how mediocre the conference was when you went to the Fiesta and got embarrassed, not just by lousy fan support but getting cranked on the field.

But you made a game you didn't belong in, congrats!
UCONN football will make another BCS appearance before PC finds itself in a sweet 16 game - a game it will never belong in

Reaction Score
To thrive year in and year out in a bad conference is not impossible but it takes a special coach and more than past success to do so
Ollie's been special so far. Have you seen the list of 2014 recruits considering us?

caw

Reaction Score
I agree with your initial premise to a point. PC's administration bought into the "stepping-stone" mentality. Whenever a coach came in that worked, say Pitino or Barnes, it was assumed that they were going to walk when the time came. Then they got coaches like Welsh, who would flash some brillance but was a nut, or Keno who couldn't do anything. PC got some good recruiting classes, they got some good recruits, they just never had the constant ability to string together success. Things are different now though, they have invested in athletes and in coaching. I think things are moving in the right direction (two good recruiting classes and a good transfer team), but it will take a few years to know if we really have a gem.

And while I agree history means something, it doesn't mean everything. Recruits might have laughed because while UCONN was winning NC's, PC was posting 4-14 BE seasons. Things are different now. Players want two things:

1 - To play for a winner
2 - To play against the best

And maybe you will go for #4 next year, and maybe you won't. But what will really hurt is not having a conference home, and having a terrible TV contract. That is more of what I am referring to by being in a better position. Stability means a lot to recruits.

And after posting back-to-back better recruiting classes then the Huskies, the distance between PC and UCONN might not be as great as you think.

First, PC's back-to-back recruiting classes were highly based on Ledo. If he never plays, does that count? Seriously? Taking him out of the equation and last year was pretty even. This year, well, PC currently has the higher ranked player, but it's not done yet. Also, we have been through this before with PC beating UConn out for Coleman and UConn ending up with some schlub called Lamb. Rankings are nice and all, but they aren't the end-all-be-all.

Second, Cooley is a good coach and a hard worker on the recruiting trails. If he stays at PC, they have a good one, one they aren't likely to do better than. I think Ollie is better, but recognize that is currently only opinion. It does say something that Ollie (if eligible) has UConn in a place where they would be a 6-7 seed right now and Cooley has PC not even on the bubble.

Third, sure the past doesn't predict the future but you are ignoring two important things: 1) Ollie has his contract, no more going down the road of "not knowing who your coach is if you go to UConn" recruiting that happened this past year. Cooley did a great job of it with Austin. 2) 2014 or 2015 UConn has fantastic new practice facilities being built. UConn football already has some of the best in the country, soon UConn basketball will also.

Fourth, tell me how many times you have watched (soon to be) #1 Gonzaga on TV this year? Did their miniscule TV slate/contract and horrible conference hurt them at all this year or the past 15 when they have dominated PC in NCAAT appearances, wins, seeding, etc. (despite PC being in a top 2 conference with tons of exposure every year)? NCAA basketball is 1000% more about the coaching than the conference/TV/etc. This has been shown multiple times in the past. If you can get a loyal coach who is also very good, the rest will fall into place. Though some few are still only 5 toes in with Ollie, I'm 10 toes in. Football is a different animal.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hume, that's not my point, but thanks for playing.

The point being is that it doesn't matter what you did in the past, it matters what you are going to do in the future.

Look at what being good in the past got PC ... A lot of empty promises and lost seasons from poor leadership (people like Herbst who couldn't get their heads out of their asses to survey the bigger picture). You had a school and leadership looking for value and not afraid to make power moves. It happened in the 70s, it happened after Pitino, it happened after Gillen, and it happened again once Welsh was fired.

The fact is, sure PC has been pretty medicore and less than stellar, but you can't keep living on the fact that your resume is full of x Elite 8's and y Final Fours. Houston did that for a while and they are irrelvent now.

In the end, it's how you position yourself in the future, and most of that comes from conference affliation and alignment. The thought that UCONN is in a better place now than PC is, that is a laughable statement. UCONN might be long-term (assuming the expected ACC bid opens up), but not right now.

You equate UCONN with Houston?????????????
You talk out of your ass
It doesn't matter what you've done in the past-words spoken by someone who knows what it is to have done nothing in the past

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
PC has beaten the almighty UCONN on two back-to-back recruiting classes, barring a big play by UCONN at the end of this recruiting period and PC staying pat.

The C7 is not the best, but the Big East will be a better conference top-to-bottom than the mismatched load of baloney the other side will have.
You can recruit the best players but if you cant coach them to excell it is pointless. Cooley hasn't proven ANYTHING. Fairfield with 1 decent year. If you had to rank the Big East coaches as far as basketball IQ, experience (hands on- via playing or coaching at the highest levels) and the ability to speak to the kids and make the understand what it takes to get to the next level- Cooley ranks at the bottom
KO may not have the coaching experience but playing under all the genius coaches in the NBA and learning from HoF Calhoun - there is a large gap between KO and Cooley

Reaction Score
You can recruit the best players but if you cant coach them to excell it is pointless. Cooley hasn't proven ANYTHING. Fairfield with 1 decent year. If you had to rank the Big East coaches as far as basketball IQ, experience (hands on- via playing or coaching at the highest levels) and the ability to speak to the kids and make the understand what it takes to get to the next level- Cooley ranks at the bottom
KO may not have the coaching experience but playing under all the genius coaches in the NBA and learning from HoF Calhoun - there is a large gap between KO and Cooley

What are you basing your this on?
Cooley has taken a group of players that were ranked in the bottom 10 defensively the last two years and gotten them to buy in. He guided them through an OOC slate without their leading scorer and best player.
Cooley has a lot to learn, but at the bottom of the BE; no sir.
Shocked you anoint Ollie as the real deal after 26 games.
Two words. Mike Davis.
Buy a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member