C Zach Brown | Page 20 | The Boneyard

C Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That wasn't me dumba$$. You are in over your head champ. Go back to something you can handle like being Calipari's mancrush.

Actually, he's better at this than you are.

In any event, knock it off.

Reaction Score
That wasn't me dumba$$. You are in over your head champ. Go back to something you can handle like being Calipari's mancrush.
Pretty sure Cal has no idea who Ern is. Tough to have a man-crush on someone whom you don't know exists.

Reaction Score
You have to love internet bulletin boards. So we ignore every rumor on the internet that UConn's rise was due to cheating, but we accept every rumor on the internet that any other successful program cheats. Why? Because some anonymous sources are better than other anonymous sources?

I presume that programs cheat. But none of you have any idea how much particular programs cheat compared to other programs. Except for the rare instances in which one gets caught. And if you measure it that way, we are not the worst but we are worse than many.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Zach needs to commit to UConn asap, give us some tweets, or we need new positive info bc this thread is so gross now.
The pinned thread at the top of this forum avoids all this. Props once again (can never say it enough times) to @tcf15 for all his work. These recruiting threads are a dumping ground. It serves it's own purpose. Check out the Durham and Alterique threads and compare them to the Stone thread for instance.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You have to love internet bulletin boards. So we ignore every rumor on the internet that UConn's rise was due to cheating, but we accept every rumor on the internet that any other successful program cheats. Why? Because some anonymous sources are better than other anonymous sources?

I presume that programs cheat. But none of you have any idea how much particular programs cheat compared to other programs. Except for the rare instances in which one gets caught. And if you measure it that way, we are not the worst but we are worse than many.
Now this is a rational thought.

I'm torn between discussing things rationally and succumbing to the irrational states in these forums.
A voice of reason in a maelstrom of unreasonableness feels frighteningly irrational. Furthermore offering rational advice must appear condescending to at least some of the people for which that advice was intended to help creating the exact opposite affect.

Sadly I think this Boneyard, with all of it's emotional and irrational thinking, is a better place than the real world.
At least opinions get expressed equally as opposed to repressed or unequally expressed. And although it is frightening to observe opinions that are radically different than our own, it is refreshing at the same time for those of us who are aware we are neither G-ds gift to the world or G-d himself.

Reaction Score

Isn't that what makes us fan(atic)s. Everyone but us cheats, a recruits only chance of improving is to come here and those that choose another school don't really care to win a championship. What am I forgetting

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It must be that time of month where a kid doesn’t commit immediately after an OV and you all are suddenly on your period because either the kid is an idiot or everyone else is cheating.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't that what makes us fan(atic)s. Everyone but us cheats, a recruits only chance of improving is to come here and those that choose another school don't really care to win a championship. What am I forgetting
That pretty much sums up the facts of the matter very well...

Reaction Score
I accept that UConn (speaking mostly about Calhoun) was right on the line of what was allowable for 20 years. And, I would state strongly that we did not tighten our academic hold on "student-athletes" as well as some Universities (THOUGH ... this is widely practiced). I do think the William Rhoden/Harvey Araton columns about graduation are misplaced. We have Ray Allen & others that made millions of dollars (even to the Stanley Robinson or Khalid El-Amin level in foreign work) ... push these kids to get a degree; however, they identified the means to advance themselves in a primary way: basketball prowess. Keep the focus on degree. I do not think there is anything amiss with a young man taking a high-paying gig at that age. UConn, though, should continuously push for them to want to finish.

Then ... did some kids flatline and just not to give effort at the end of their careers? I think Calhoun has a good record of keeping dozens of kids in touch with him and the fraternity. They want to be part of all things UConn Men's Hoop. You are going to get a kid or more who just does not keep with the group.

Nochimsen? I don't believe the UConn staff was what was portrayed. Nate Miles is what he is. He was high-maintenance and, maybe, Calhoun should have just peeled off. But, he did have success with Caron Butler and others; he liked playing Father Flanagan. I don't believe Nochimsen's actions were directed by UConn Basketball. I don't believe Nochimsen was your "typical" booster ... that we read about. Not a wannabe like the guy at the U. He was using athletes to advance himself; outside of the UConn Program. We are tainted because of his origins.

The Baltimore AAU with Gay; the wins on other kids? Part and parcel of NCAA HOOP in the last 25 years.

If a Rutgers fan or some others say something? You wish you had a Calhoun ... or a Dean Smith ... or a John Calipari ... or some other guy (like the UNLVcoach) who can figure out the current rules & be entrepreneurial in getting kids.

Reaction Score

Well the last part is true...

When they go to Syracuse.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cheating aside, way too much is known about recruits and recruiting but in reality, nothing is known. It really is a bit insane to follow recruits very closely. We get who we get, we don't get who we want, we get someone out of the blue, kids commit before their junior year and change their minds five time. There really was a time when nobody except the coaches know who they were recruiting. A lot easier on the fans.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I accept that UConn (speaking mostly about Calhoun) was right on the line of what was allowable for 20 years. And, I would state strongly that we did not tighten our academic hold on "student-athletes" as well as some Universities (THOUGH ... this is widely practiced). I do think the William Rhoden/Harvey Araton columns about graduation are misplaced. We have Ray Allen & others that made millions of dollars (even to the Stanley Robinson or Khalid El-Amin level in foreign work) ... push these kids to get a degree; however, they identified the means to advance themselves in a primary way: basketball prowess. Keep the focus on degree. I do not think there is anything amiss with a young man taking a high-paying gig at that age. UConn, though, should continuously push for them to want to finish.

Then ... did some kids flatline and just not to give effort at the end of their careers? I think Calhoun has a good record of keeping dozens of kids in touch with him and the fraternity. They want to be part of all things UConn Men's Hoop. You are going to get a kid or more who just does not keep with the group.

Nochimsen? I don't believe the UConn staff was what was portrayed. Nate Miles is what he is. He was high-maintenance and, maybe, Calhoun should have just peeled off. But, he did have success with Caron Butler and others; he liked playing Father Flanagan. I don't believe Nochimsen's actions were directed by UConn Basketball. I don't believe Nochimsen was your "typical" booster ... that we read about. Not a wannabe like the guy at the U. He was using athletes to advance himself; outside of the UConn Program. We are tainted because of his origins.

The Baltimore AAU with Gay; the wins on other kids? Part and parcel of NCAA HOOP in the last 25 years.

If a Rutgers fan or some others say something? You wish you had a Calhoun ... or a Dean Smith ... or a John Calipari ... or some other guy (like the UNLVcoach) who can figure out the current rules & be entrepreneurial in getting kids.
To your first point, one way to look at top level sports programs is that they, like any other student in a major like business for example, want to get their students employed. Players came to UConn under Calhoun to major in basketball and hopefully earn a career in the pros, and in that regard UConn has been like an Ivy League program for the last 25 years.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If you think college basketball is dirty, you should hear about football in the south someday.

Them good 'ol boys play high stakes!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Third grade!

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
This kid might be a little raw, but for a kid entering his junior year, his fundamentals seem very good. Always keeps the ball high, which is just so important for a big man. I'm sure he wont announce his commitment for awhile. He's still a young kid. I'm not worried and very optimistic.

Reaction Score
One article mentions his legal guardian liking KO and UCONN's ability to develop bigs like Drummond. Heaping praise on KO.

C

Chief00

Of course the worse cheating is often never detected.

I have no regrets, Calhoun did what he needed to do to level the playing field. Whatever advantage we achieved in certain instances was standard operating procedure in the SEC football.

Reaction Score
Of course the worse cheating is often never detected.

I have no regrets, Calhoun did what he needed to do to level the playing field. Whatever advantage we achieved in certain instances was standard operating procedure in the SEC football.
Can you and would you be willing to elaborate?

Reaction Score
One article mentions his legal guardian liking KO and UCONN's ability to develop bigs like Drummond. Heaping praise on KO.

So to be clear, we have to claim AD now as someone we developed, even though he didn't really do all that much developing here. So if we claim him, we have to stop with the Calipari/Coach K do not develop players argument that permeates this board and leads some to make the asinine assertion that they are not good coaches. We were merely a pit stop for AD just as Kentucky and Duke are now for other one and done guys who would have gone straight to the pros were it allowed. If we reap the benefits (as it seems we are), then Cal "developed" Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, et al

Reaction Score
So to be clear, we have to claim AD now as someone we developed, even though he didn't really do all that much developing here. So if we claim him, we have to stop with the Calipari/Coach K do not develop players argument that permeates this board and leads some to make the asinine assertion that they are not good coaches. We were merely a pit stop for AD just as Kentucky and Duke are now for other one and done guys who would have gone straight to the pros were it allowed. If we reap the benefits (as it seems we are), then Cal "developed" Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, et al
I'm not real comfortable with the double standard either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds