C Zach Brown | Page 21 | The Boneyard

C Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So to be clear, we have to claim AD now as someone we developed, even though he didn't really do all that much developing here. So if we claim him, we have to stop with the Calipari/Coach K do not develop players argument that permeates this board and leads some to make the asinine assertion that they are not good coaches. We were merely a pit stop for AD just as Kentucky and Duke are now for other one and done guys who would have gone straight to the pros were it allowed. If we reap the benefits (as it seems we are), then Cal "developed" Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, et al
Or he has come back year after year and has worked out with the coaches. All we know is what we've seen which was that one year

Reaction Score
Can you and would you be willing to elaborate?

He's full of crap. Calhoun did very little wrong while at UCONN and was never disciplined for anything until the sham APR ban. The only thing JC did that was lacking in judgement was to go to bat for Nate Miles. It was really the only time he took a big gamble on a questionable character type kid and lost. Ultimately, the only infraction was some assistants sending too many texts to recruits. Everything else was above board and given the hard on that the NCAA had for attacking UCONN, you can bet if there were anything else, they'd have found it.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but that's an odd tangent to go off on when Brown's guardian is the one who made the comments about Drummond.

So to be clear, we have to claim AD now as someone we developed, even though he didn't really do all that much developing here. So if we claim him, we have to stop with the Calipari/Coach K do not develop players argument that permeates this board and leads some to make the asinine assertion that they are not good coaches. We were merely a pit stop for AD just as Kentucky and Duke are now for other one and done guys who would have gone straight to the pros were it allowed. If we reap the benefits (as it seems we are), then Cal "developed" Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, et al

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I still wouldn't mind hearing what he has to say. I'm confident in my ability to detect b.s. if it's not b.s. i still want to hear it.

Speculative rumors about such things can take on a life of their own and can hurt people. Balance that against your curiosity and which wins out? Quite frankly, nothing good would come of this.

Reaction Score
AD's stint at UCONN was 2 steps on the ladder to where he is now, so KO gets no credit for that? The NBA is 24/7 for training unlike college so lets be real as to what can be done with the time alloted, but our time at his young age was critical and KO is values guy building character.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but that's an odd tangent to go off on when Brown's guardian is the one who made the comments about Drummond.

I guess that's how it's viewed nowadays. Even if a player plays one year at a program, that program's given credit for that player as far as
coaching goes.

Reaction Score

If I'm worth anything on this board, it is the "odd tangent..." I think the point is valid regardless of who said it though. People get pissed when a recruit's parent/handler says Coach Cal puts players in the NBA. The knee jerk reaction is that he's "just a babysitter." But AD's time here was essentially the same scenario. Point is that recruits/parents see players in the NBA and that's all that matters; whether they were four year players who went from unable to dribble to a star or a guy who was too good for college to begin with.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If I'm worth anything on this board, it is the "odd tangent..." I think the point is valid regardless of who said it though. People get pissed when a recruit's parent/handler says Coach Cal puts players in the NBA. The knee jerk reaction is that he's "just a babysitter." But AD's time here was essentially the same scenario. Point is that recruits/parents see players in the NBA and that's all that matters; whether they were four year players who went from unable to dribble to a star or a guy who was too good for college to begin with.

People only get pissed because it's Calipari/UK.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'd disagree about AD. Being a local guy he literally was on campus loads for years. Also having years of time for the coaching staff to talk to his coaches, for him to play with current players etc. A much more integrated development and all within the rules I choose to believe.

Reaction Score
I'd disagree about AD. Being a local guy he literally was on campus loads for years. Also having years of time for the coaching staff to talk to his coaches, for him to play with current players etc. A much more integrated development and all within the rules I choose to believe.

And Damarcus Cousins and the other UK guys constantly go to their games and play in pick-up games, etc. Just the double standard I'm calling out. The narrative on this board for years has been that Cal (and now Coach K for some reason) can't coach, only win b/c they have great players, and basically babysit players before they go to the draft (one and done's.) Andre is our example for that, local kid or not. If we claim him as this great ambassador (which we should) then we have to change our narrative about Cal and K. I have no issue w/ claiming AD; hell, I claimed Bynum back in the day, too. Any exposure is good exposure. And if some recruits parent/handler looks at UConn and thinks, "that's the place that developed Andre Drummond" then that works quite well for me. We just have to realize our hypocrisy.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
And Damarcus Cousins and the other UK guys constantly go to their games and play in pick-up games, etc. Just the double standard I'm calling out. The narrative on this board for years has been that Cal (and now Coach K for some reason) can't coach, only win b/c they have great players, and basically babysit players before they go to the draft (one and done's.) Andre is our example for that, local kid or not. If we claim him as this great ambassador (which we should) then we have to change our narrative about Cal and K. I have no issue w/ claiming AD; hell, I claimed Bynum back in the day, too. Any exposure is good exposure. And if some recruits parent/handler looks at UConn and thinks, "that's the place that developed Andre Drummond" then that works quite well for me. We just have to realize our hypocrisy.
Why? who says we can't be UConn homers and believe what we want and denigrate the Squid? This is a fan board, I'd expect a HUGE amount of bias and unevenness. Not many here will say a kind word about Calipari and no amount of logic or reasoning will change that!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think I just heard something like this in the recent debate from Rand Paul about hypocrisy (other candidates arguing states rights over federal rights concerning marriage vs those same candidates pushing federal rights over states rights about marijuana). You can see the boost that argument gave him amongst voters. I know someone will make the case this belongs in the cesspool but I maintain the microcosm is representative of the macrocosm. Your opinion, which I support, won't win popularity contests.

Reaction Score
Boog, you are spot on. AD developed at UConn about as much as many Kentucky guys have in their one year there. I am happy to have the AD PR, but real fans know his development at UConn was fairly limited. I give you credit for stating the truth even if many don't want to hear it.

On the flip side, Bazz and Boat did develop a great deal while at UConn.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why? who says we can't be UConn homers and believe what we want and denigrate the Squid? This is a fan board, I'd expect a HUGE amount of bias and unevenness. Not many here will say a kind word about Calipari and no amount of logic or reasoning will change that!
I was going to post something like what you presented but went highbrow instead. LOL!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the vast majority of people here know Coach K is a great coach. And when you count recruiting as a big part of a coach's job, Cal is also great. Where we disagree on his being excellent is on his player development and his in-game coaching. The latter was demonstrated in his last games vs Ollie and Calhoun.
But all in, he is still a very top coach
His history of cheating and his rationalizing his recent final four losses (they were so young, the winning streak was more important than the NC) along with his oily demeanor are why we don't like him.
Plus, you are comparing one one-and-done to about 25.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think the vast majority of people here know Coach K is a great coach. And when you count recruiting as a big part of a coach's job, Cal is also great. Where we disagree on his being excellent is on his player development and his in-game coaching. The latter was demonstrated in his last games vs Ollie and Calhoun.
But all in, he is still a very top coach
His history of cheating and his rationalizing his recent final four losses (they were so young, the winning streak was more important than the NC) along with his oily demeanor are why we don't like him.
Plus, you are comparing one one-and-done to about 25.
Thank you for saying this. I get the whole hypocrisy argument but AD is a single player who was a CT native, life long UConn fan and wasn't even planning on playing college ball until last minute. For all we know, AD would have stayed another year but the situation around the programs future and the APR ban made it a NO BRAINER for him to declare. That's not enough for us to be classed with Kentucky in terms of the program's modus operandi.

UConn and Kentucky (under Cal, this is important) are not, and have never done things the same way in terms of the path taken to a title.

Reaction Score
On the flip side, Bazz and Boat did develop a great deal while at UConn.

Oh absolutely... We've obviously developed far, far more than we've "babysat." I know this is a fan board and we're allowed to be hypocrites, but it just gets a bit old. I love UConn with all my being, but my glasses are not husky shaped all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom