C Zach Brown | Page 22 | The Boneyard

C Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Oh absolutely... We've obviously developed far, far more than we've "babysat." I know this is a fan board and we're allowed to be hypocrites, but it just gets a bit old. I love UConn with all my being, but my glasses are not husky shaped all the time.

Boog, I also agree with you that, if Cal won 10 straight championships and then saved the Pope's life, there would still be posters here saying he sucks as a coach. But don't confuse that minority with the majority who admit Cal has great abilities but he still makes our skin crawl.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Boog, I also agree with you that, if Cal won 10 straight championships and then saved the Pope's life, there would still be posters here saying he sucks as a coach. But don't confuse that minority with the majority who admit Cal has great abilities but he still makes our skin crawl.
But he hasn't... So therefore saying he isn't a very good coach for not winning more with that absurd amount of talent is a valid statement.

Look at it this way, almost every final four team in the last 15 tournaments has had at least one NBA 1st rounder in that year's draft, and most often that player is the focal point of that entire team. The less talented players defer to him more often than not because that's an effective strategy for winning at the college level. Now imagine this, Cal for the last 10 years or so has had at a minimum 3 or 4 of these very same guys on each of his team's, with total roster turnover each year! This past season he had 7 players of this rare caliber (rare relative to the overall talent distribution throughout college basketball). He has coached one NBA MVP in Rose and a future multiple time MVP and potential all time great in Davis, and that's not even counting the slew of other NBA superstars (Cousins, Wall) and budding stars (Noel, Knight, Tyreke, Bledsoe). And yet with all this absurd, ridiculous talent he has one title to his name.

If you have ever watched an NBA player play against regular people, even college athletes, the talent disparity is incredible. Yet Cal has essentially rolled out an NBA roster every season for almost 5 years now to play against kids who have never even seriously considered themselves as draft picks, let alone future stars of the league like Cal's guys. To say he has met expectations with what he brings in talent wise is a complete farce in my opinion. Call me a hypocrite whatever, but there's a reason that even UK fans think Cal has in a way underperformed.

Reaction Score
Why? who says we can't be UConn homers and believe what we want and denigrate the Squid? This is a fan board, I'd expect a HUGE amount of bias and unevenness. Not many here will say a kind word about Calipari and no amount of logic or reasoning will change that!

Nor should it. For every person that is baffled by the Calipari bashing, there is at least one person who is baffled by the people who are baffled. If someone doesn't get it, just ignore it. There is plenty of history to explain why people hate the guy. There isn't any reason I can think of why people feel the need to complain about the bashing.

Reaction Score
Nor should it. For every person that is baffled by the Calipari bashing, there is at least one person who is baffled by the people who are baffled. If someone doesn't get it, just ignore it. There is plenty of history to explain why people hate the guy. There isn't any reason I can think of why people feel the need to complain about the bashing.

^^^^^^^
THIS

He's a good coach but he's scum and everyone knows it, has been since he was an assistant at Pitt nothing has changed except the fact he took the Kentucky job and somehow created an aura that he gets guys into the league. The only one's believing that are you guys who don't like him being bashed, ESPN because they bought in and aid his recruiting and some really dumb parents who think it's really good for their kids to play 18 minutes a game there rather than 30 minutes somewhere else. That's fine but there are many of us here who don't respect the man, and that's okay too. Without opinions this wouldn't be much fun here at the BY after all now would it?

Now let's get back to Zach Brown and his tweets or something. Maybe Boo is going to be our best recruiter outside the staff itself, one can hope!

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^
THIS

He's a good coach but he's scum and everyone knows it, has been since he was an assistant at Pitt nothing has changed except the fact he took the Kentucky job and somehow created an aura that he gets guys into the league. The only one's believing that are you guys who don't like him being bashed, ESPN because they bought in and aid his recruiting and some really dumb parents who think it's really good for their kids to play 18 minutes a game there rather than 30 minutes somewhere else. That's fine but there are many of us here who don't respect the man, and that's okay too. Without opinions this wouldn't be much fun here at the BY after all now would it?

Now let's get back to Zach Brown and his tweets or something. Maybe Boo is going to be our best recruiter outside the staff itself, one can hope!

I just don't like his personality. A bit of a whiner.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone, outside of Lexington, actually likes the man. I'm just sick of the mentality around here that we're somehow holier than all else when we are gladly using AD as a featured alum and would take on one and dones if the situation presented itself. There's not a (sane) person here who would have turned down Diamond Stone last year. But enough of this hijack...

Still seems like we're in the driver seat for Brown and in a way I'd rather him not commit now since he's still going to be recruited either way. It makes it easier to still go after other comparable bigs should Maryland decide they want everyone that we recruit.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^
THIS

Muntz like false argument. There are not discussions here about whether or not he's scum. Everyone knows he is. There are discussions here about whether or not he's a good basketball coach. And disliking someone -- even rightfully -- doesn't change their accomplishments.

Reaction Score
Muntz like false argument. There are not discussions here about whether or not he's scum. Everyone knows he is. There are discussions here about whether or not he's a good basketball coach. And disliking someone -- even rightfully -- doesn't change their accomplishments.

Except people don't like him because he's slimy at best and at worst he cheats. And this sliminess and cheating inflates his accomplishments.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We are doing in this discussion what we do with every discussion. It's not just about accomplishments. It's about subjectively considering factors and subjectively measuring them. In other words we can't disassociate the objective and subjective aspect of issues.

Homerism is just an identifier. We gravitate to things that make us feel better. And we sometimes feel the need to argue things to ensure this feeling.

In general if we like something we are more likely to present arguments in a positive way which includes presenting factors supporting those arguments and not present, or diminish the value of factors that refute this position. If we dislike something we do the opposite. Unless of course one happens to be a lawyer in which case one has to subvert the personal bias for the client. Each occupation has their own particular Mezuzah to bear.

Reaction Score
And not everyone agrees that he is a good coach. If you want to argue that he is, great. But when people whine that everyone who disagrees is obsessed with him, well, that is just silly. He is a figure in college basketball. His actions have an impact on the UConn men's team. This ia a UConn basketball forum. Seems reasonable to discuss the man. What is less reasonable is to discuss the people who are discussing him. We are irrelevant so why is there so much complaining about the squid haters?

Reaction Score
And not everyone agrees that he is a good coach.

Minor tweak: anyone with an opinion worth listening to agrees that he's a good coach, which doesn't necessarily mean that they admire him or want to hang out with him.

If Ollie went to 4 final fours in 5 years there would be a statue of him outside of Gampel, and Gampel would be called Ollie.

But, again, you're the one who said that Calipari had a crush on me so your brain clearly works in odd ways.

Reaction Score
And not everyone agrees that he is a good coach. If you want to argue that he is, great. But when people whine that everyone who disagrees is obsessed with him, well, that is just silly. He is a figure in college basketball. His actions have an impact on the UConn men's team. This ia a UConn basketball forum. Seems reasonable to discuss the man. What is less reasonable is to discuss the people who are discussing him. We are irrelevant so why is there so much complaining about the squid haters?

I think we need to admit he's a good coach at the very least no matter what our thoughts are of him as a person. He can coach, whether it's as good as it was when at UMass anymore I'm not sold, but the man can coach no doubt about that.

Reaction Score
Minor tweak: anyone with an opinion worth listening to agrees that he's a good coach, which doesn't necessarily mean that they admire him or want to hang out with him.

If Ollie went to 4 final fours in 5 years there would be a statue of him outside of Gampel, and Gampel would be called Ollie.

But, again, you're the one who said that Calipari had a crush on me so your brain clearly works in odd ways.
He's a good coach but with the #1 class every year national titles are to be expected, he's been exposed in late game situations in his last few big games. As for Gampel being renamed, nah. Calhoun put UConn on the map and won three National Championships and we still don't call Gampel The Calhoun.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

I actually had the chance to hangout with him for a couple of hours a few years ago during the AAU tourneys in Vegas. I know people here love to hate him but he was one of the most charming, charismatic people I've ever been around. I've found it much harder to hate him since then. I got to meet him because one of my best friends is tight with two other guys who used to be universally hated on the boneyard a few years ago, Dana and David Pump (the Pump brothers), who are also great guys. That was a super fun night at Light in the Bellagio. I don't think I ever shared that story for fear that I could be excommunicated from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I actually had the chance to hangout with him for a couple of hours a few years ago during the AAU tourneys in Vegas. I know people here love to hate him but he was one of the most charming, charismatic people I've ever been around. I've found it much harder to hate him since then. I got to meet him because one of my best friends is tight with two other guys who used to be universally hated on the boneyard a few years ago, Dana and David Pump (the Pump brothers), who are also great guys. That was a super fun night at Light in the Bellagio. I don't think I ever shared that story for fear that I could be excommunicated from the Boneyard.

You know you can't just hang out and like anyone you wish to when you are a member of the Boneyard right CA? This is like freakin treason.

Deepster? bother swami? where the hell are you guys?

;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Except people don't like him because he's slimy at best and at worst he cheats. And this sliminess and cheating inflates his accomplishments.

And he's completely full of s***. He doesn't have a genuine bone in his body.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know you can't just hang out and like anyone you wish to when you are a member of the Boneyard right CA? This is like freakin treason.

This guy is pallin' around with the Squid and the Pump Brothers. If that's like treason, what pray tell is treason?

Reaction Score

The Pumps weren't hated. We were pointing out the total hypocrisy surrounding the Rudy Gay recruitment. Made no sense for people to criticize the Baltimore Ballers thing when the Pump brothers were selling their services at the same time. Both were legal. The same people paying the Pumps (Sweaty Williams) were criticizing the Beltway Ballers thing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I know people here love to hate him but he was one of the most charming, charismatic people I've ever been around. .

You do know the devil must be charming, right?

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:

59450876.jpg

Reaction Score
From today's USA Today. Not exactly breaking news:

"By Walter Villa, Special for USA TODAY High School Sports October 5, 201

MIAMI, Fla. – Zach Brown, a 7-foot-1 junior center and the No. 17 prospect in Class of 2017, has narrowed his list of college choices to a select few and lists Connecticut, Kentucky and Miami as the front-runners.

His adoptive father, Michael Lipman, said Brown has those three on the top of his list but is also considering North Carolina State, UCLA, Ohio State, LSU and Kansas.

Brown transferred to Miami High for this school year and has gotten in great shape, according to Lipman, dropping from 268 pounds to 249."

Reaction Score
From what I'm hearing, Lipman is the one making this keep going. He wants Brown to go on all visits and really check out his options before making a decision. He'd have been ours already otherwise, so says the rumor mill. I still think we're in a really good place here, but I'm not sure Kentucky has made him a priority (though I don't know that they will).

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone, outside of Lexington, actually likes the man. I'm just sick of the mentality around here that we're somehow holier than all else when we are gladly using AD as a featured alum and would take on one and dones if the situation presented itself. There's not a (sane) person here who would have turned down Diamond Stone last year. But enough of this hijack...

Still seems like we're in the driver seat for Brown and in a way I'd rather him not commit now since he's still going to be recruited either way. It makes it easier to still go after other comparable bigs should Maryland decide they want everyone that we recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom