Butler Picks UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler Picks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Roster next year now at 11.
I think this means 0 to 2 more players from the 2015 class.

The recent commits by Collier, Boykin and Butler may have sent more than a ripple effect (not quite tsunami but more than a mere ripple) through the households of several families whose daughters are sitting on UConn wcbb scholarships.

They are looking in their own crystal balls and studying tea leaves. Surely they know that (focus on UConn) when the roster gets deep in talent, two things happen. Championship opportunities for the team go UP, but playing time for some players goes DOWN. The Brown family, knowing now that 6'5" Butler is en route to UConn, must be reassessing their daughter's prospects. Similar assessments must be taking place in other homes (Durr, Samuelson, Boley, Cox, Ogumwale, Jekot, McCoy, etc.)

All these families see the bus getting crowded and if they don't commit soon, they will lose their seat, so to speak.

Ah, to be a fly on the wall and listen to these lively discussions!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

NEST309NestTallButler.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The recent commits by Collier, Boykin and Butler may have sent more than a ripple effect (not quite tsunami but more than a mere ripple) through the households of several families whose daughters are sitting on UConn wcbb scholarships.

They are looking in their own crystal balls and studying tea leaves. Surely they know that (focus on UConn) when the roster gets deep in talent, two things happen. Championship opportunities for the team go UP, but playing time for some players goes DOWN. The Brown family, knowing now that 6'5" Butler is en route to UConn, must be reassessing their daughter's prospects. Similar assessments must be taking place in other homes (Durr, Samuelson, Boley, Cox, Ogumwale, Jekot, McCoy, etc.)

All these families see the bus getting crowded and if they don't commit soon, they will lose their seat, so to speak.

I think picking up Butler affects Brown in one way or another. I'm not sure it affects anyone else very much, though maybe it means that McCoy would not start as a frosh, of she picks UConn.

Clearly, UConn looks like a Final Four team for the next 4-5 years, at least. :)

Reaction Score
I think picking up Butler affects Brown in one way or another. I'm not sure it affects anyone else very much, though maybe it means that McCoy would not start as a frosh, of she picks UConn.

Clearly, UConn looks like a Final Four team for the next 4-5 years, at least. :)
Make that a Final 1 team please.

Reaction Score

Some of the recruits you listed are from beyond 2015, and Stewie and Jefferson will graduate by then freeing up two more spots with Chong and Tuck the following year when recruits like Boley would be freshmen, so it's not as crowded as it seems. These days coaches have to be thinking two or three years down the road, which is kind of crazy, but that's how the recruiting game has evolved in college sports where in the most extreme cases you have kids in middle school receiving verbal offers. I would be happy if they land Samuelson to close out the class of '15. A class of Samuelson, Collier, and Boykin is pretty good. Hopefully DJ is working to land her good friend Samuelson. With the addition of Butler, Geno has just enough kids coming in over the next two years to cover the losses due to graduation over the next three. That's a pretty good overlap in terms of handing off the baton from upperclassmen loaded teams to one that's a bit younger while accounting for potential injuries or transfers.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Brown is staying right at home at LSU

Hey, this is great karma! Sawx told us that Butler was going to Va. and she is being fitted for a blue and white uni right now. His telling us that Brown is a done deal for LSU means that maybe there is hope that she will end up here. I am encouraged.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
So happy to wake up to the great news! Welcome Natalie!!!

Reaction Score

If durr, Samuelson, and brown are as good as advertised, they will not lack for playing time.
If Geno offers a scholarship, he generally wants the player regardless of who else comes. In recent years, he seems to have enough roster space, and is sufficiently conservative with his offers that he doesn't have to rescind any of them.
And he does not (seem to) recruit players who bring up playing time.

Reaction Score
Some of the recruits you listed are from beyond 2015, and Stewie and Jefferson will graduate by then freeing up two more spots with Chong and Tuck the following year when recruits like Boley would be freshmen, so it's not as crowded as it seems. These days coaches have to be thinking two or three years down the road, which is kind of crazy, but that's how the recruiting game has evolved in college sports where in the most extreme cases you have kids in middle school receiving verbal offers. I would be happy if they land Samuelson to close out the class of '15. A class of Samuelson, Collier, and Boykin is pretty good. Hopefully DJ is working to land her good friend Samuelson. With the addition of Butler, Geno has just enough kids coming in over the next two years to cover the losses due to graduation over the next three. That's a pretty good overlap in terms of handing off the baton from upperclassmen loaded teams to one that's a bit younger while accounting for potential injuries or transfers.
I would be ecstatic to close out 2015 with Samuelson.

Reaction Score
Put this in perspective. Next season she can practice with the team, which means going up against Kiah (and Morgan and Stewie) and getting the full benefit of coaching by Geno and his staff.

The following season she could be the center, with Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Saniya, Gabby, Courtney, Sadie, and Kia as teammates.

And oh, yeah, Napheesa and De'Janae will be there, too.

And Katie Lou, Asia, and a few others are still in play.

This is simply sinful.
it's gonna be a "great wall of China at the post"....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this. Playtime is not a question now for any top players that come to UConn. Top players will play period. Brown McCoy Samuelson and Durr will all start and play. Landing Butler imo takes all the pressure off. She has proven she can put up big numbers against good teams. No freshman or incoming freshman has or will until they gain experience. Butler has the experience and will be groomed by Geno to be the next big time player. Her first season she will be one of the top if not the top post player in WCBB. Adding another big like McCoy and or Brown only makes it better. You've seen the playtime Morgan and Stokes got. There should be no concerns about playtime. This team is shaping up to be one of the best all over again. If Butler can have averages in the BE at GTown and you surround her with UConns coaching staff and UConn players she can only be better. All the disappointment in not landing Turner and Wilson and now to get an experienced big post player who has already proved herself well it doesn't get any better then that. UConn is one up on everybody else again. There are no "IF's" with Natalie. She has already proven what she can do and wants to learn and get better. I like the want to in this girl. The skys the limit for her playing on this UConn team. I expect her to dominate and from what we've read she will.

Reaction Score
I would think this will make Stewie excited to know she will have some additional experienced frontline help her senior to get her fourth NC.
She already knew she'd have front line help with Collier and Boykin.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score

Kib, I like your assessment. But the old saying goes : " You snooze , you lose". Geno still has a couple of good spots left on the bus , hopefully 2-3 more good players get onboard before the bus pulls off for 2015.... I'm hoping.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She already knew she'd have front line help with Collier and Boykin.
I think the operative word was "experienced," meaning college experience. Collier and Boykin will be freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom