Butler Picks UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Butler Picks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If she is the second coming of Kiah, that will be plenty enough for me, and that looks pretty achievable. Anything more is gravy.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Normally I like to tamp down the anticipation for recruits for any team. And I honestly think this talk about UConn going 145 – 0 is nonsense. But I think an objective consideration of Natalie Butler’s future importance to the team can’t be overstated. The key point here is that she is a PROVEN commodity at a position that the recruiting scouts are mostly guessing at when they evaluate.

Consider this list of Centers/Posts on the 2014 Full Court Freshman AA Teams (in order of vote totals)

Alaina Coates - SC

Amanda Zahui - MN (Red shirt freshman from Sweden)

Natalie Butler- GTWN

Sydney Stipanovich - Penn

There were nine Centers/Posts listed in HoopGurlz’s Top 100 for the Class of 2013…

1 Mercedes Russell

12 Kendall Cooper

22 Kai James

28 Alaina Coates

39 Kristina Nelson

46 Alex Harris

55 Brionna Jones

56 Jada Terry

88 Kaliyah Mitchell

…only one (Coates) had a better freshman year than Butler.

And this is not unusual for players in this historically late-developing position. In 2013 there were 11 Centers/Posts in the top 100 recruits list…

8 Malvina Howard

9 Rachael Hollivay

11 Imani Stafford

13 Alison Beebee

22 Katie Collier

35 Candice Agee

57 Kristina Higgins

67 Je Zhe Newton

76 Taylor Manuel

77 Ariel Butts

94 Dominique Brooks

…and only one, Imani Stafford, made ANY of the Freshman AA teams.

In other words, unless UConn had signed Coates or Stafford, they just landed the best possible Center. Add on that she will have a HEALTHY red shirt season to practice and develop and then have three years of eligibility and I can understand – and even uncharacteristically share – in the enthusiasm for her future.

When I first heard of her possible transfer I had two thoughts… one, this would be like a free-agent signing in baseball (or, for those of you old enough to remember, like the Yankees grabbing the top player off the Kansas City Athletics!) Second, I thought other coaches and fans would yell “tampering” – although the Lady Vol s are not exactly in a position to do that right now as they hold their breath to see what DeShields is going to do. (And, for the record, I don’t believe there is any basis for a tampering charge in either case.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Normally I like to tamp down the anticipation for recruits for any team. And I honestly think this talk about UConn going 145 – 0 is nonsense. But I think an objective consideration of Natalie Butler’s future importance to the team can’t be overstated. The key point here is that she is a PROVEN commodity at a position that the recruiting scouts are mostly guessing at when they evaluate.

Consider this list of Centers/Posts on the 2014 Full Court Freshman AA Teams (in order of vote totals)

Alaina Coates - SC

Amanda Zahui - MN (Red shirt freshman from Sweden)

Natalie Butler- GTWN

Sydney Stipanovich - Penn

There were nine Centers/Posts listed in HoopGurlz’s Top 100 for the Class of 2013…

1 Mercedes Russell

12 Kendall Cooper

22 Kai James

28 Alaina Coates

39 Kristina Nelson

46 Alex Harris

55 Brionna Jones

56 Jada Terry

88 Kaliyah Mitchell

…only one (Coates) had a better freshman year than Butler.

And this is not unusual for players in this historically late-developing position. In 2013 there were 11 Centers/Posts in the top 100 recruits list…

8 Malvina Howard

9 Rachael Hollivay

11 Imani Stafford

13 Alison Beebee

22 Katie Collier

35 Candice Agee

57 Kristina Higgins

67 Je Zhe Newton

76 Taylor Manuel

77 Ariel Butts

94 Dominique Brooks

…and only one, Imani Stafford, made ANY of the Freshman AA teams.

In other words, unless UConn had signed Coates or Stafford, they just landed the best possible Center. Add on that she will have a HEALTHY red shirt season to practice and develop and then have three years of eligibility and I can understand – and even uncharacteristically share – in the enthusiasm for her future.

When I first heard of her possible transfer I had two thoughts… one, this would be like a free-agent signing in baseball (or, for those of you old enough to remember, like the Yankees grabbing the top player off the Kansas City Athletics!) Second, I thought other coaches and fans would yell “tampering” – although the Lady Vol s are not exactly in a position to do that right now as they hold their breath to see what DeShields is going to do. (And, for the record, I don’t believe there is any basis for a tampering charge in either case.)
Nice work! Thanks!

I figure that Doug and Harry said something to Geno. Either they thanked him for making their job easier, or more likely, they busted his chops for stealing talent from their league.

Reaction Score
Poor Natalie. She'd better be the second coming of Tina Charles and Lisa Leslie combined on Day 1 or there could be some brutal threads after she has the nerve to need a learning curve like 99.9% of the players out there.

There's no pressure of unrealistic expectations at UConn. That Geno must be nuts to think so.

Nan, of course you are right. Natalie's contributions to the team could end up being anywhere
between Big Rig and Big Mama Stef.

Still, her freshman performance at Georgetown gives one hope that she will end up closer to
Stefanie than Christine.

Reaction Score
Averaged triple double: 26 ppg, 18rpg, 10bpg

By the numbers senior season hs:
603 points
409 rebounds
71 free throw percentage
40 points in single game twice consecutively
31 rebounds in one game
26 ppg average after 23 games (highest scorer in the AAA Northern Region)
23 games (every game this season) at least a double double
21 games where she is the game high scorer (for both teams)
19 games with over 20 points
18 rpg average after 23 games (highest rebounder in northern region this season)
16 blocks in one game
12 games achieved triple double (video provided to show blocks upon request)
10+bpg average after 23 games this season (not documented but arguably the highest blocks in northern region ever)
8 games over 30 points
2 games where she reached triple double prior to half time of game
1 extremely appreciative student athlete All this while being double or triple doubled by other team
Natalie Butler Lake Braddock
Georgetown Signee (Blue Star 9th ranking in nation for recruiting class 2013)
ESPN Hoopgurlz ranked #46 in nation by position for class of 2013
AAA Northern Region Player of the Year
2013 Patriot League Player of the Year
2013 Patriot League All Tournament Team
2013 Northern Region AAA Girls Leading Scorer, Rebounder and Blocker
2013 McDonalds All American Games Nominee
ESBC ALL-AMERICAN
Next Sports Phenom Defensive Player of the Year
Washington Post 1st Team All-Met

Congratulations on the pick up

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

603 points
409 rebounds
71 free throw percentage
31 rebounds in one game
18 rpg average after 23 games (highest rebounder in northern region this season)
16 blocks in one game
10+bpg average after 23 games this season (not documented but arguably the highest blocks in northern region ever)
8 games over 30 points
1 extremely appreciative student athlete All this while being double or triple doubled by other team
ESBC ALL-AMERICAN

Welcome!

Thanks for the detail. I think she was also 1st team All-State.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

603 points
409 rebounds
71 free throw percentage
31 rebounds in one game
16 blocks in one game
8 games over 30 points
ESBC ALL-AMERICAN

Great numbers and those numbers speak for themselves and have UConn fans very excited. With her work ethic and willingness to learn along with Genos coaching it is very encouraging to imagine where she could be in a year or two. She has imo gone from a "could've been" to a potential star because of who Geno will surround her with giving her the opportiunity to showcase her skills one on one. I am confident that her numbers have nothing to prove, they are proven numbers at a high level in WCBB and should only get better at UConn. The ole saying Repetition is the mother of skill and at UConn it is very apparent with many of our past players and post players. She will get better, and it may take time but what a get at 6'5 with those skills, her work ethic, and want to.

Reaction Score
You can't teach height, but coaches can mode you into the type of player they want you to be. Natalie Butler has the skill level and the right attitude to succeed at UCONN. If Natalie continues to work hard to improve she will be a force in the middle before her days at UCONN are finished. It would not surprise me if she makes all-american some day.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Natalie can't or won't be a great player at UConn. Believe me, I'd be thrilled if she were able to step in and be an impact player. What I am saying is that annointing her a potential All American, dominating center, etc etc before her first practice at UConn is setting unrealistic expectations. I'll bet Natalie has set similar expectations for herself, I hope she has, but I seriously doubt she'll create a dozen threads on the Boneyard saying how she didn't live up to the hype if her first year at UConn isn't what people had expected. It's especially ironic that it's the Boneyard creating the hype and it would be the Boneyard that would rip into her if she failed to live up to it. I have seen this happen too many times to count on the Boneyard through the years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

603 points
409 rebounds
71 free throw percentage
31 rebounds in one game
16 blocks in one game
8 games over 30 points
ESBC ALL-AMERICAN

So how could she be rated 140 or whatever it was? Sometimes I think the rating systems are a joke.

Reaction Score
I wonder if a recruit like Samuelson (smart girl, family sis's go to Stamford) thinks (even a little)…?
Sure I'll play, no problem with minutes for a talent like me but don't they bloody have enough already?
Should I instead go to Notre Dame?
At least there'll be some spirited competition.

Just thinking.

Or not thinking.

While you're at it, why don't you come up with a few more reasons why different High School All-Americans shouldn't come to UConn, put them on a sign and place the sign at the entrance to their respective high schools?

With Husky fans like you, who needs Voles fans?

Reaction Score
Or not thinking.

While you're at it, why don't you come up with a few more reasons why different High School All-Americans shouldn't come to UConn, put them on a sign and place the sign at the entrance to their respective high schools?

With Husky fans like you, who needs Voles fans?

Yeah, God forbid anyone has a differing opinion or a new way of looking at things on this forum.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So how could she be rated 140 or whatever it was? Sometimes I think the rating systems are a joke.
Good question. In addition to the imperfection of ratings, I think there were 2 factors: (1) She was a late bloomer who improved rapidly. Thus, the rating was based on when she was lower on the learning curve. (2) She committed to G'town fairly early. I wonder if, because of that and her low rating, no one looked at her to reevaluate her. I think the more recent data points--top 15 frosh and unanimous BE FOY are more representative of where Natalie's game is now.

Without being over the top, I do think that Natalie fills a pressing need and seems like a great kid and wonderful addition to the UConn family. I think she can be very, very good. As we saw with Stef and even Tina, there were early struggles. Natalie is not immune to those, but I think she'll be at least a solid player. I'm very happy we have her.

Reaction Score

While I agree that the rating systems are flawed you have to understand that players are not rated on production but rather potential. Any player that is 6'5 can put up huge numbers in the majority of high school leagues around the country but not necessarily have what it takes to be a great DI player. Also the competition level in high school varies greatly from state to state, class to class, and league to league so statistics are not always an accurate tool to rate players. With this being said I definitely think Butler was way underrated.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Natalie can't or won't be a great player at UConn. Believe me, I'd be thrilled if she were able to step in and be an impact player. What I am saying is that annointing her a potential All American, dominating center, etc etc before her first practice at UConn is setting unrealistic expectations. I'll bet Natalie has set similar expectations for herself, I hope she has, but I seriously doubt she'll create a dozen threads on the Boneyard saying how she didn't live up to the hype if her first year at UConn isn't what people had expected. It's especially ironic that it's the Boneyard creating the hype and it would be the Boneyard that would rip into her if she failed to live up to it. I have seen this happen too many times to count on the Boneyard through the years.
I agree that saying she will be just as good as Stef is premature and could be setting an unfair standard for Natalie.
However, NBA analysts usually say that statistically, rebounding is the one category that projects most accurately to the next level (e.g. players like Popeye Jones, who came from a small school with limited TV exposure rebounded very well in college and in the NBA). This will translate even more so in the case of a lateral transfer within the NCAA (and with the loss of Louisville & Rutgers, it would be hard to argue that UConn's conference competition will be better than the new Big East). I think she will likely never be as good a passer and mid-range shooter (or dancer for that matter) as Stef, but she will likely be a better rebounder.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The ratings systems are not a joke, but neither are they entirely accurate and unbiased. Each ratings organization has its own biases, conscious or otherwise. If you take a sort of unofficial average of them all, you usually get a pretty fair idea of what a player's strengths and weaknesses are. It is hellaciously tough to predict just how successful a highschool kid is going to be over her four years in college. Some terrific HS players just don't work out to be terrific wcbb players, for a variety of reasons.Others become much better than even the best of the experts predicted. Bound to happen. Even Geno makes an occasional mistake, and he looks at his prospective players much more intensively than any of the services can look at each of several hundred players.

I would like to add one more word to the Natalie thread. I don't think it is at all likely to happen, but if it SHOULD happen that for some reason Natalie does not achieve what many of us expect her to, I am sure that there will be some curmudgeons who take it upon themselves to criticize her effort, her psyche, her attitude. But I am also sure that if that were to happen, for every Boneyarder who feels entitled to dump on her, there will be a multitude who will dump on that poster. All any of us have a right to expect of any of our girls is that they do the best they can, and we all know that, unless a player busts her butt in practice, she is not going to get into the game. If occasionally some one of us forgets these basic facts, they will be reminded by the rest of us. The Boneyard is NOT going to turn into the Summitt! We just ain't that kind of folks.

Reaction Score
I wonder if a recruit like Samuelson (smart girl, family sis's go to Stamford) thinks (even a little)…?
Sure I'll play, no problem with minutes for a talent like me but don't they bloody have enough already?
Should I instead go to Notre Dame?
At least there'll be some spirited competition.

Just thinking.

This can be said for nearly every single recruit we get. For example, Natalie Butler is assured of nothing though her size makes her unique.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Except that it wasn't the Boneyard that started the AA talk but other folks previously seeing her and knowing the development curve she has been on since high school.

Last edited:
T

TroyHouse66

Re: Natalie Butler... "The Second Coming" (actually The Transfer)
Kibitzer
<<It doesn't take much for Boneyarders to react like cats on catnip laced with steroids.>>

Would folks here, kindly, relax momentarily and employ the Boneyard for its amusement value?
(Please let us NOT get all worked-into-a-frenzy and, momentarily, enjoy the levity here.)

Remember the movie... "UP"
and it's dog-collar-enabled talking pooch...
(SQUIRREL!!)
Just relax & reflect on our years of rampant recruiting rumors on the Boneyard...
(CENTER!!)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I stand by my oft-repeated statement: There is nothing more difficult in sports than evaluating how talent at one level will perform at the next, higher level.

The recent NFL draft bears me out. They spend millions to evaluate college talent and still get it wrong very often. Same goes for the NBA.

As for the HS rating services, we must remember that their first priority is certainly football, with men's and women's basketball next. That's a helluva lot of athletes to evaluate which makes it amazing that they do it well so often.

Even Geno and his colleagues don't always agree. I am reliably informed that a few years ago Geno had doubts about a HS player, but an assistant persuaded him to offer her. She came, played 4 years, acquired 2 NC rings.

Goes to show, it's a tough job................and so on.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why was she not ranked higher? She was a work in process,and a late bloomer. Her upside potential is phenomenal and her attitude and work ethic say UConn Uconn. Uconn. Her stats from her senior year in HS and her freshman year in college show me how she's not a could've been, she is the real deal. Why wouldn't she put up similar numbers at UConn that she put up at GTown? The BE is better then the AAC isnt it or at least comparable. UConn OOC schedule will be a challenge, but it was for Tina Stef and Kiah too and they did fine. How many teams have players 6'4 or above that can put up her numbers? One question will be her defense against top teams because GTown didn't play alot of top 5 teams. That is something Geno will work on and he has a year to get her ready. Don't forget, she will be practicing against Stokes, Stewart and Tuck all experienced National Champions. She wants to learn and get better, she's already proven that by committing to UConn so quickly.

Will she average a double double at UConn? IMO she has a better chance then not because she's already done it. What if she doesnt? If she doesn't and averages 8 pts and 8 rebounds a game her first season at UConn is fine with me. I think that would be better then not having her, however, there is a learning curve and yes there is still room for improvement. Hey if she averages 8/8 her first season at UConn I think most of us will be happy because we know she will only get better. I don't expect her to come out of the gate against a top 5 teams and score 18 pts and 12 rebounds but I also don't expect her to score 6 pts and 6 rebounds. I expect her to play within the flow of the team concept and for Boneyarders who want to knock her or give their negative opinions on her when she does have a poor game, I think other Boneyarders will handle that.

She brings back the intimidation factor. She will be part of our 6'5 6'4 6'3 6'3 combo underneath and those numbers will last for the next 6 years. How many rings will that translate to? Understand where UConn is now. We have the post players, wings, and guards for the next 5-6 years. We have a go to player in Stewart and if Tuck healthy it puts us over the top. Everything else is gravy. IMO the next must get is a Durr. With Natalies commitment the question remains, not who can beat UConn because imo if UConn loses its a fluke but who can compete with UConn. The bar has been set even higher. Yes higher. Think about this. What will the starting lineup be Stewarts senior year? It just might be one of the best of all time. How many teams can come close to that?

Obviously someone has been working with Natalie for her to go from an unknown to BE FOY and put up the numbers she has. It if very difficult to predict someone to be an AA. However looking at Natalies numbers, her improvement over the past couple of years and now coming to UConn surrounded with players who buy into Geno philosophy it imo looks very hard for her to fail to not get better. The winning environment is there at UConn. Its contagious like the flu. Just the fact that she is dedicated to practice and working hard to get better and the fact that she has committed so quickly to UConn tells me she is hungry and wants it.

I think she may have reached her potential at GTown. I think she wanted more opportunity in WCBB. I think her HS coach saw what she had become and realized her limitations at GTown. To get better and reach her goals she needed to transfer. The timing is perfect for her. Stef graduates, Kiah has one year left and Natalie has a year to work with the team before she makes her debut and I expect it to a high anticipated debut. Just my thoughts .

Reaction Score
Why was she not ranked higher? She was a work in process,and a late bloomer. Her upside potential is phenomenal and her attitude and work ethic say UConn Uconn. Uconn. Her stats from her senior year in HS and her freshman year in college show me how she's not a could've been, she is the real deal. Why wouldn't she put up similar numbers at UConn that she put up at GTown? The BE is better then the AAC isnt it or at least comparable. UConn OOC schedule will be a challenge, but it was for Tina Stef and Kiah too and they did fine. How many teams have players 6'4 or above that can put up her numbers? One question will be her defense against top teams because GTown didn't play alot of top 5 teams. That is something Geno will work on and he has a year to get her ready. Don't forget, she will be practicing against Stokes, Stewart and Tuck all experienced National Champions. She wants to learn and get better, she's already proven that by committing to UConn so quickly.

Will she average a double double at UConn? IMO she has a better chance then not because she's already done it. What if she doesnt? If she doesn't and averages 8 pts and 8 rebounds a game her first season at UConn is fine with me. I think that would be better then not having her, however, there is a learning curve and yes there is still room for improvement. Hey if she averages 8/8 her first season at UConn I think most of us will be happy because we know she will only get better. I don't expect her to come out of the gate against a top 5 teams and score 18 pts and 12 rebounds but I also don't expect her to score 6 pts and 6 rebounds. I expect her to play within the flow of the team concept and for Boneyarders who want to knock her or give their negative opinions on her when she does have a poor game, I think other Boneyarders will handle that.

She brings back the intimidation factor. She will be part of our 6'5 6'4 6'3 6'3 combo underneath and those numbers will last for the next 6 years. How many rings will that translate to? Understand where UConn is now. We have the post players, wings, and guards for the next 5-6 years. We have a go to player in Stewart and if Tuck healthy it puts us over the top. Everything else is gravy. IMO the next must get is a Durr. With Natalies commitment the question remains, not who can beat UConn because imo if UConn loses its a fluke but who can compete with UConn. The bar has been set even higher. Yes higher. Think about this. What will the starting lineup be Stewarts senior year? It just might be one of the best of all time. How many teams can come close to that?

Obviously someone has been working with Natalie for her to go from an unknown to BE FOY and put up the numbers she has. It if very difficult to predict someone to be an AA. However looking at Natalies numbers, her improvement over the past couple of years and now coming to UConn surrounded with players who buy into Geno philosophy it imo looks very hard for her to fail to not get better. The winning environment is there at UConn. Its contagious like the flu. Just the fact that she is dedicated to practice and working hard to get better and the fact that she has committed so quickly to UConn tells me she is hungry and wants it.

I think she may have reached her potential at GTown. I think she wanted more opportunity in WCBB. I think her HS coach saw what she had become and realized her limitations at GTown. To get better and reach her goals she needed to transfer. The timing is perfect for her. Stef graduates, Kiah has one year left and Natalie has a year to work with the team before she makes her debut and I expect it to a high anticipated debut. Just my thoughts .
Tonyc.......I fully agree...I see AA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman