Butler Picks UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Butler Picks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO with Natalie Butler coming to UConn, at this point in WCBB, all the recruits who have chose to not to come to UConn have given up their right to win a NC. With that said, Durr and Samuelson still have a chance. With UConns roster for the next 2 seasons it is terrifying how good they will be and with the addition of Durr and Samuelson they will virtually guarantee themselves numerous NCs. IMO if your going to play college basketball why not guarantee yourself a NC and that can only now be done at UConn.

Reaction Score
If anyone has any video of Natalie Butler this year at Georgetown make sure you look at it really hard, and perhaps even save it. Then compare her with how much she will improve by her senior year at UCONN.
Do you think there will be much of a difference ? You betcha !

I know she is just what we needed. A true, back to rim center for the next 4 years. You can actually see
opposing teams start to break down when we are getting offensive rebounds time and time again.
I watched Muffett just cringe when ND could not get a loose ball or rebound. I see it happening next
year with Kiah, Stewie, and Kaleena roaming the key.

So Natalie, thanks for coming to UCONN to help us become even better. We look forward to you
putting your own special stamp on UCONN WBB. We are quite rabid about our WCBB at UCONN .
I am sure you will never, ever regret your decision to come to UCONN !

See you soon !

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Um, confident, hopeful, excited, and grateful.
So, as a group, has the BarnYard(sic) become more arrogant or more full of itself...inquiring minds want to know.

IMO ...at this point in WCBB, all the recruits who have chose to not to come to UConn have given up their right to win a NC.

I know it's Tony and God bless his optimism but that statement is not confident, hopeful, excited and grateful (all of which I am for towards this transfer). It's "something else".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I wonder if a recruit like Samuelson (smart girl, family sis's go to Stamford) thinks (even a little)…?
Sure I'll play, no problem with minutes for a talent like me but don't they bloody have enough already?
Should I instead go to Notre Dame?
At least there'll be some spirited competition.

Just thinking.
No, more likely she's thinking, "Wow, both my sis's have gone to Stanford with the Oguinmike sisters and what do they have for competing."

Reaction Score
have given up their right to win a NC.

One of the lesser known amendments in the Bill of Rights. It comes after right to bear arms but before unreasonable search.

Reaction Score
I know it's Tony and God bless his optimism but that statement is not confident, hopeful, excited and grateful (all of which I am for towards this transfer). It's "something else".

"something else" ? That IS Tony C ! Is he wildly optimistic ? I thought so too but he did call the 2013/2014 season on the nose. Did he not ?
Maybe he's the realistic one !!!!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Correct.
This is to prevent a team from trying to get around the scholarship limit in basketball (or football) by giving scholarships in other sports to BB players.
Thanks everyone.. Makes sense :)

Reaction Score
As we all know, the situation at UConn as regards the possibility of a given individual making All American is peculiar. It is almost inevitable that some players deserving of that honor will be passed over (as MoJet arguably was this year) simply because the voters are understandably reluctant to load the AA team up with players from the same team, because individual players' accomplishments do not stand out as sharply when they are surrounded by other outstanding players and because of the limited playing time, during the regular season, resulting from Geno's reluctance to stomp on the throats of hopelessly overmatched opposition. So Ms. Butler may not actually gain AA recognition. HOWEVER, based on everything I have read about her skills, physicality, coachability and willingness to do whatever it takes to excel, she seems to me to be an excellent bet.

As for Ms. Durr, I have no doubt that she is a truly exceptional player and I hope that she decides to become a Husky. I was simply taking exception to the statement her doing so was "essential" (or something along those lines; I can't seem to find Doc's original quote, and it may have come through stronger than he intended, or I may have just taken it as such._ My point is that I think we are quite likely to go undefeated for the next four or five years in any case. Nurse or Saniya or Sadie (who seems to be the forgotten recruit for BY posters) will, imho, be perfectly capable of handling any pg chores that need to be handled, both as backup to MoJet and as her successor. If Durr comes, so much the better. Frosting, as it were.
Not so sure they will go undefeated for 4-5 years straight but the team will certainly be VERY dominate.

Reaction Score
This shows how off the rails things are getting.
Only 1 player a year, tops, could get away going pro without 4 yrs of college. Stewie could. (CP did; Maya, DT couldve) Everyone else -- Loyd, MoJet, DD, ... -- would do their longterm career damage without getting more college coaching. And even Stewie will benefit greatly from the next 2 years.

I highly doubt Butler will be so spectacular that she will be able to leave without using all her eligibility.
Did i miscommunicate? She would have four years of college; one at Georgetown, one sit out Basketball season and two seasons with our team. That's four years of college and enough credits to graduate. I'm just saying she could leave with a year of eligibility. Not saying she would but who knows, financial factors, etc.

U

UCONNfan1

Not so sure they will go undefeated for 4-5 years straight but the team will certainly be VERY dominate.
Was that Malaprop on purpose? If so, well done. I've seen that word misused many times, and often here on the boneyard...

Reaction Score
IMO with Natalie Butler coming to UConn, at this point in WCBB, all the recruits who have chose to not to come to UConn have given up their right to win a NC. With that said, Durr and Samuelson still have a chance. With UConns roster for the next 2 seasons it is terrifying how good they will be and with the addition of Durr and Samuelson they will virtually guarantee themselves numerous NCs. IMO if your going to play college basketball why not guarantee yourself a NC and that can only now be done at UConn.
Tonyc- - - Great minds truely think alike! I had posted this on the "other" Butler Thread, and replay it here:
Writing this after Natalie Butler picked UCONN to spend the next 4 years of her college career it is once again apparent that if you are an elite WBB player no matter what reasons are given to chose a college the choice is this, if you want to be the best player you can possibly be, if you have dreams of playing pro BB either WNBA and/or overseas, or want to play for the USA international teams, you will chose UCONN to go to school and play for Geno Auriemma and the best coaching staff in Division I! UCONN has the proven track record of having their players go to the highest levels of competition! Any other choice is the safe, easy way out, to avoid the fish-bowl that is UCONN WBB! Notre Dame, Baylor, TN, TX, Stanford, Duke, L'ville, MD, NoCar, TXa&m, PSU, SoCar, etc. are all NICE choices but have not shown they can consistently produce the top players that stand the test of time as the best in WBB!

Last edited:
T

TroyHouse66

There is always something to learn... especially under Geno's system.
Natalie is quite accomplished, BUT at other programs was she ever introduced to guarding the opponent who is attempting to go out under the basket to in-bound a ball?
Now THAT's defensive intensity!!
The focused energy required by this intensity might explain how UConn players seem to lose 1" to 3" in roster-height by the time they are printed.
Could someone put a tape on Natalie when she arrives to begin practices: by the time she is about 6'-3", she should be ready.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Poor Natalie. She'd better be the second coming of Tina Charles and Lisa Leslie combined on Day 1 or there could be some brutal threads after she has the nerve to need a learning curve like 99.9% of the players out there.

There's no pressure of unrealistic expectations at UConn. That Geno must be nuts to think so.

Reaction Score
Poor Natalie. She'd better be the second coming of Tina Charles and Lisa Leslie combined on Day 1 or there could be some brutal threads after she has the nerve to need a learning curve like 99.9% of the players out there.

There's no pressure of unrealistic expectations at UConn. That Geno must be nuts to think so.

Nan, you can't blame UCONN Fans for being very optimistic about Natalie coming to UCONN. Everything that I have read about her leads me to believe that she will be a future star for UCONN. She is just what UCONN needs for the 2015-2016 year with the graduation of Kiah Stokes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

It doesn't take much for Boneyarders to react like cats on catnip laced with steroids. One they got a whiff of that interview with a coach (linked to Rich's blog) that served up one "great," a followup "AA great," and a series of "unbelievables" (speed, footwork, and work ethic), the dam burst and Natalie was on the fast track to the HoF before she even laced up a pair of sneakers in Storrs.

I'll take a few hits for being repetitive, I'm sure, but here we go (again), Mark Twain:

"Optimist: Day-dreamer, just spelled more elegantly."

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Look, we desperately needed a big. No other way about it. And we got one. So it's a huge event for some of us! Doesn't mean she'll be instantly Tina or anything even close, but we needed a bang in the paint post. We did. We got. We rejoice, even if over the top.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I'm not one to judge a player before I see them and that holds true for Natalie, but there is some justification for expectations in her case because she has a year - a very good year - already under her D1 college belt. I know it wasn't at UConn and was in a watered down Big East, but she was the FOY in the league. Playing for GA is certainly unlike playing elsewhere, but she is not untested.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Durr and Samuelson come, Tony will probably spontaneously combust and we'll need a replacement.:)
If Durr AND Samuelson come to UCONN, I (yes I, SmaryPants, of the glass not half empty, but rather lying shattered on the floor) might even be tempted to predict a Tonyesque 195-0. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not one to judge a player before I see them and that holds true for Natalie, but there is some justification for expectations in her case because she has a year - a very good year - already under her D1 college belt. I know it wasn't at UConn and was in a watered down Big East, but she was the FOY in the league. Playing for GA is certainly unlike playing elsewhere, but she is not untested.
I would say an exceptional year for a freshman Div. 1 big. Bigs as Nan is frequently given to reminding us often take longer to mature as college players.

Reaction Score
Look, we desperately needed a big. No other way about it. And we got one. So it's a huge event for some of us! Doesn't mean she'll be instantly Tina or anything even close, but we needed a bang in the paint post. We did. We got. We rejoice, even if over the top.
Agree 1,000% semper.

However ... talk of Natalie being a future AA is vastly premature and probably what prompted Nan's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom