Bryant Shirreffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs

Reaction Score
I think BS throws a better ball, but Lornzen wasn't the same after hurting the thumb (?) on his throwing hand.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hopefully he ends up as the backup because Williams beat him out in camp. Never bad to have another warm body, but we're going nowhere with him(or anyone else) at QB if he doesn't get significantly better.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
When you run like a Fullback many times a game you're bound to get injured.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty old and it's still like 12-15% of my life since we could go into a football season and think it might actually be enjoyable.

What Edsall and crew are doing on the recruiting trail is surreal. It's like after 20+ years I'm a fan of a normal football program that just goes out and recruits good players, plays a modern style and isn't trying to either squeeze blood from a stone, play 20 years in the past or reinvent the sport.

I'm not even sure how to react.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty old and it's still like 12-15% of my life since we could go into a football season and think it might actually be enjoyable.

What Edsall and crew are doing on the recruiting trail is surreal. It's like after 20+ years I'm a fan of a normal football program that just goes out and recruits good players, plays a modern style and isn't trying to either squeeze blood from a stone, play 20 years in the past or reinvent the sport.

Just enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score

Old? Aren't you like 43? Other than great post and I agree. Makes you wonder why Randy didn't do it this way the 1st go round here but whatever, things are looking up for the 1st time in years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Old? Aren't you like 43? Other than great post and I agree. Makes you wonder why Randy didn't do it this way the 1st go round here but whatever, things are looking up for the 1st time in years.

6/43 =14%

C

Chief00

BS may be tough and hard nose but he doesn't possess the physical traits or QB IQ needed for the position.
This doesn't mean I am advocating D Williams since these characteristics were not visibly on display with him either - but less of a conclusive sampling.

Reaction Score
BS may be tough and hard nose but he doesn't possess the physical traits or QB IQ needed for the position.
This doesn't mean I am advocating D Williams since these characteristics were not visibly on display with him either - but less of a conclusive sampling.

We all hope he comes back, competes, and proves you wrong. He showed some ability in a lousy system, I want to see what he can do in a good system.

C

Chief00

We all hope he comes back, competes, and proves you wrong. He showed some ability in a lousy system, I want to see what he can do in a good system.
I agree the system was lousy - but quite frankly I did not see the ability potential - either physical or mental (i.e quarterback progressions). I wish I did - but Chief gives it to you straight.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

It started with the coaches he hired. Not a bunch of older coaches that he owed favors to, but a great mix of experience and new talent. What you see is a head coach confident enough to hire the right people without the concern that they will upstage him. I am not sure RE 1.0 hires Crocker and Lashlee.

It feels like RE 2.0 is more confident than arrogant...and I think that will make him an even better coach.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

I think this reaction is pretty much the best way.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have felt that a healthy Shirreffs had the IT factor. I trust him to make plays in crunch time. Not the most accurate in terms of hitting guys in stride which limits YAC. But he will move the chains provided he gets 2.5 seconds + to get the ball out. His running style is of a fullback. He will get first downs but will get hit hard. In a Lashlee offense- he will be effective but is not the desired burner that can take a play to the house.

Donovan Williams was not ready last year. No reason to judge him on those 3 games in terms of can he do it at this level. The 40 yard run against Temple was impressive and I could see him also doing well in this offense. He will learn how to read a defense with proper coaching. the physical skills are there.

I am trying to put my projection /coaching glasses on much like Randy and his coaches will with the in school players. Young players grow in front of you. (Case in point Obi M). I can see position changes and lots of coaching up. The good news is the players want to win and are willing to put the work in to make it happen.

I am going to watch this unfold with excitement, unlike the last year or so where I was beaten down by a loon who was way over his head.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Others have said it, but having BS back completely changes the outlook of the 2017 campaign.

If we could just protect the kid at an average clip, he can be a really good player for us. Hoping that he feels up to one last season and Edsall is selling him on going out with a bowl game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree the system was lousy - but quite frankly I did not see the ability potential - either physical or mental (i.e quarterback progressions). I wish I did - but Chief gives it to you straight.
He did tend to lock into an option and not see alternatives but more often than not he didn't have much time to cycle through them. Behind a more effective OL he'll look much better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If BS is the starter then they will need to work on his internal clock, his progressions, and (obv) his protection.

Barring some miracle unknown QB, he is our best chance to win any games next season unless we go to the triple option.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Donovan Williams has 2nd string TE written all over him. But, since this is UConn he will be allowed to go 3-9 for two seasons.

Reaction Score
Yes I do
That would be fantastic news. You can't replace experience and for us right now, that's most important at the start of next season. I'm hoping that his accuracy issues were due mostly to him rushing his reads/throws because he felt the walls collapsing around him. Given a little more time, he could be that much better. In the meantime, DW can develop with good coaching and be potentially field-ready sometime during next season. The fire he was thrown into this past season by BD was a horrible way for a kid to get his first action. Especially when you consider that the team had already quit on Diaco...and he had obviously not been coached up either. Now he'll have that chance with Lashlee.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If BS is the starter then they will need to work on his internal clock, his progressions, and (obv) his protection.

Barring some miracle unknown QB, he is our best chance to win any games next season unless we go to the triple option.

I agree with the bolded piece. While I appreciate that he was hurt, and love his toughness, some of his worst play came pre-injury. The mental aspect of the position is where he most needs to improve. Better OL will obviously help.

As for him coming back, the more options we have the better. I don't think anyone can say he's the best option, how can any of us know that? It's just speculation. Donovan Williams may look like Donovan McNabb by August. Maybe we get a transfer or JUCO. Maybe McAfee is so good as a true freshman he beats them all out. I actually hope someone beats him out for the job, that means we have a capable veteran backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom