Bryant Shirreffs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs

Reaction Score
If we gave up on players after their true freshmen season, a lot of really good players would've never been discovered. I personally want to see what he can do with complete support from the coaching staff, an entire offseason to prepare, and finally an OC who actually knows what he's doing.

Diaco threw him out there as a last ditch effort to save his job, we all saw he wasn't ready. But who knows, maybe with some time he becomes a solid player.

I've seen enough of Sheriffs to know he's a glorified FB. Love his passion and sacrifice for the school, but he's seen enough game time for everyone to understand his talent at this point.

Let's not forget the horrendous OL as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was me..and he was down right horrific during the spring game! You guys slam Williams on here and what Davis showed was much worse. Go watch some highlights of Nick Marshall at Auburn on YouTube. The QB in Lashlee's offense needs to be able to throw the deep ball effectively. It's a big part of this offense. If Williams stays at QB that means Lashlee thinks he can make him into a QB

I remember it being windy on the field during the Spring game last year. Am I confusing it with 2015? Be that as it may, There is more need at QB than there is at TE, especially if Lashlee's system only utilizes one and primarily for blocking? Plus, as I said, If Davis doesn't rise to at least primary back up, he return to the TEs.

Reaction Score
Well said. However, BS injury aside, I believe it was strategic and as I have said on several occasions, if it turns out DW is the starter in 2017 fans will be thankful that he got those 3 shaky frosh games out of the way last year.

As long as they clean up his mechanics and vision, sure. There is raw talent, but he needs to be coached up. Given that we now have what we hope to be a credible coaching staff, I'm optimistic, if not 2017 then beyond.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Any of our remaining or future quarterbacks could end up being a great quarterback. Do you want to know why? Because they will now actually be coached and put in positions to succeed with what they do well. That's the difference between being coached by adults and being coached by Team Nickelodeon... :confused:

Reaction Score
I remember it being windy on the field during the Spring game last year. Am I confusing it with 2015? Be that as it may, There is more need at QB than there is at TE, especially if Lashlee's system only utilizes one and primarily for blocking? Plus, as I said, If Davis doesn't rise to at least primary back up, he return to the TEs.
Last year was beautiful for the spring game. If you want to have competition at QB Eddie Hahn was a much better QB than Davis in hS and ran a similiar offense to what Lashlee runs. He was originally recruited by Diaco as a QB.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Last year was beautiful for the spring game. If you want to have competition at QB Eddie Hahn was a much better QB than Davis in hS and ran a similiar offense to what Lashlee runs. He was originally recruited by Diaco as a QB.

Tangential point, but it makes me so excited to think of the spring game now. Before 12/26, I was probably going to go but with the worst attitude imaginable. I hated the idea of going and watching a crumbling program. Now, there will be so much to look for. Watching the Lashlee offense, seeing any position changes, etc. So excited for Husky football.

Reaction Score
That was me..and he was down right horrific during the spring game! You guys slam Williams on here and what Davis showed was much worse. Go watch some highlights of Nick Marshall at Auburn on YouTube. The QB in Lashlee's offense needs to be able to throw the deep ball effectively. It's a big part of this offense. If Williams stays at QB that means Lashlee thinks he can make him into a QB

Understandedly there is a lot of negative emotion towards Diaco because of how things have transpired so not many give credence to his opinions. Regardless of ones opinion of Diaco, he was right on Byron Jones and Obi. Prior to their final seasons he touted them as best in the country type players and his predictions held true. It doesn't appear that his preseason rave reviews hurt their performance either. If anything it may have motivated them to play up to their abilities. Granted, Diaco is Defensive oriented but if he says that Donovan Williams upside is as high as anyone in the country at QB, I tend to believe it. Even if he is 75% on target, that's pretty darn good. Let's wait and see what happens.

Reaction Score
Granted, Diaco is Defensive oriented but if he says that Donovan Williams upside is as high as anyone in the country at QB, I tend to believe it. Even if he is 75% on target, that's pretty darn good. Let's wait and see what happens.

I don't think the bold can be glossed over though, since Diaco is proven to be incredible incompetent on offense. I don't really trust his evaluation of any offensive player

Reaction Score
I don't think the bold can be glossed over though, since Diaco is proven to be incredible incompetent on offense. I don't really trust his evaluation of any offensive player

As bad as our offense has been you are justified in making your point. However he was dead on with both of his early predictions on Byron and Obi. That was my primary point.
It's hard to believe he would have gone that far out on a limb with his praise of Williams if it weren't so. Let's see what happens in the fall. Like coach J said if he really can't play QB at this level maybe he ends up at receiver or transfers. Time will tell!

Reaction Score
Understandedly there is a lot of negative emotion towards Diaco because of how things have transpired so not many give credence to his opinions. Regardless of ones opinion of Diaco, he was right on Byron Jones and Obi. Prior to their final seasons he touted them as best in the country type players and his predictions held true. It doesn't appear that his preseason rave reviews hurt their performance either. If anything it may have motivated them to play up to their abilities. Granted, Diaco is Defensive oriented but if he says that Donovan Williams upside is as high as anyone in the country at QB, I tend to believe it. Even if he is 75% on target, that's pretty darn good. Let's wait and see what happens.

Byron and Obi showed Diaco that they could play,Williams has not showed anything yet. I truly hope he does. Let's see if Lashlee can work magic with the young man.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the horrendous OL as well.
Can I stick up for the players on the OL and just say they were poorly coached for the last 6 years. I think the talent was there just not used/coached properly. The offensive scheme they had to block for was just that offensive, it sucked big time. I'm hoping that after Lashlee and Grimes get things turned around this spring we will see an OL like the good old days with Randy and Foley.

Reaction Score
Can I stick up for the players on the OL and just say they were poorly coached for the last 6 years. I think the talent was there just not used/coached properly. The offensive scheme they had to block for was just that offensive, it sucked big time. I'm hoping that after Lashlee and Grimes get things turned around this spring we will see an OL like the good old days with Randy and Foley.

Maybe, but I'll say this -- they played for a lot of different O Line coaches over the last six years. Were each one of them as incompetent as the lineplay? Or is it likely that talent factored into it as well?

C

Chief00

Not sure if it was a defense mechanism or not - but BS wasn't very disappointed when DW got promoted - BS rather seemed relieved. We also don't exactly know where he stands on the concussion history spectrum? He took some very bad hits.

Reaction Score
Byron and Obi showed Diaco that they could play,Williams has not showed anything yet. I truly hope he does. Let's see if Lashlee can work magic with the young man.

3 games and a rookie OC.

Reaction Score

To be honest, we don't know if it was poor coaching or lack of talent, or a mesh of both. However, we do know the OL was bad.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was a defense mechanism or not - but BS wasn't very disappointed when DW got promoted - BS rather seemed relieved. We also don't exactly know where he stands on the concussion history spectrum? He took some very bad hits.
Well he may have been happy that his wandering rib could actually have a chance to heal and not be subjected to more hits by Crazy Diaco playing him.

Reaction Score
This is what NC Stat saw day 1 too, I can't imagine he's a fit for the new offense

He has no speed or elusiveness and can't throw accurately > 10 yards

I've seen enough of Sheriffs to know he's a glorified FB. Love his passion and sacrifice for the school, but he's seen enough game time for everyone to understand his talent at this point.

Reaction Score
This is what NC Stat saw day 1 too, I can't imagine he's a fit for the new offense

He has no speed or elusiveness and can't throw accurately > 10 yards

While Shireffs has some serious weaknesses (deep ball, accuracy, reading defenses), elusiveness isn't one of them.

I believe this coaching staff will put him in best position to succeed. When on his game he is a good qb (he will never be above average) And getting consistent good qb play next year is imperative.

Reaction Score
He's not an elusive runner along the lines of a Nick Marshall was

I honestly don't why he'd even want to play with any history of concussions and zero chance of playing professionally

While Shireffs has some serious weaknesses (deep ball, accuracy, reading defenses), elusiveness isn't one of them.

I believe this coaching staff will put him in best position to succeed. When on his game he is a good qb (he will never be above average) And getting consistent good qb play next year is imperative.

Reaction Score
One doesn't need to be an ACC caliber QB to be an AAC caliber QB. The coach's decision at NC State has nothing to do with UConn.

The coaches at Iowa wanted to make Donald Brown a CB. So they thought he wasn't a B1G caliber RB, how did it work out at UConn?

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people playing sports anywhere in the world aren't going to ever play professionally.

#whybother

Reaction Score
Did you read the part about a history of concussions?

He's getting married and having a baby, what does being a below average QB at a bad G5 school do for you exactly? If he wants to stay around the game be a grad assistant or something.

One doesn't need to be an ACC caliber QB to be an AAC caliber QB. The coach's decision at NC State has nothing to do with UConn.

The coaches at Iowa wanted to make Donald Brown a CB. So they thought he wasn't a B1G caliber RB, how did it work out at UConn?

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people playing sports anywhere in the world aren't going to ever play professionally.

#whybother

Reaction Score

He's getting married and having a baby, what does being a below average QB at a bad G5 school do for you exactly? If he wants to stay around the game be a grad assistant or something.
Thank you for playing...now please take your ball, go home, don't go away angry...JUST GO AWAY!

Reaction Score

History of concussions? How many has he had, when did he have them, and what was their severity?

We know he had one in November of 2015. Logic doesn't suggest that should or would keep him from playing in 2017, when it didn't keep him from playing in 2016.

He doesn't need your approval, or understanding, of what playing, anywhere, "does" for him. He gets to decide for himself.

The fact that he may only have one more year to play this game at a level far higher than most people ever reach, is only more incentive to play.

But if he plays at least this year, he can re-assess next year. And he'll get to tell his son or daughter that he didn't quit on his dream. That he knew he had a short window to do something he loves, and he didn't quit just because some on a sports message board obviously doesn't get why people play sports.

Reaction Score
History of concussions? How many has he had, when did he have them, and what was their severity?

We know he had one in November of 2015. Logic doesn't suggest that should or would keep him from playing in 2017, when it didn't keep him from playing in 2016.

He doesn't need your approval, or understanding, of what playing, anywhere, "does" for him. He gets to decide for himself.

The fact that he may only have one more year to play this game at a level far higher than most people ever reach, is only more incentive to play.

But if he plays at least this year, he can re-assess next year. And he'll get to tell his son or daughter that he didn't quit on his dream. That he knew he had a short window to do something he loves, and he didn't quit just because some on a sports message board obviously doesn't get why people play sports.

...LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom