Bryant Shirreffs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs

Reaction Score
Donovan Williams has 2nd string TE written all over him. But, since this is UConn he will be allowed to go 3-9 for two seasons.
worst case scenario he'll end up at either WR or DB... IF a position change occurs... That size warrants one of those skill positions..

Reaction Score
Everyone is seriously overlooking DW in this offensive style. He does not need to sling it 30 times a game now. He would be very effective in this type of spread. We saw him get out and run a bit last year. Don't dismiss him based on the 3 game disaster of last year when the coaching staff had zero clue what they were calling for plays and he was constantly under duress.
I'm not saying he is the next coming of Cam Newton but he is alot better than what we saw.
The dude runs in cement his first five steps and has the shiftiness of a sign pole. I don't know what you were watching but it was the antithesis of a dual threat QB. Factoring in passing accuracy and reading ability, he qualifies currently as a zero threat QB. I can't get there saying it was all scheme.

Reaction Score
The worst stain of the PP era was his treatment of Whitmer. If Whitmer was my son I would have gone on the field and slapped the crap out of Pasqualoni, as I posted at the time?

In Edsall I trust.
Yup- was criminal what they did to that kid, and they did it to be vindicitive and prove a point.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The dude runs in cement his first five steps and has the shiftiness of a sign pole. I don't know what you were watching but it was the antithesis of a dual threat QB. Factoring in passing accuracy and reading ability, he qualifies currently as a zero threat QB. I can't get there saying it was all scheme.
He ran this offense in HS. I have seen him in practice and have been told first hand as well that he looked completely different in practice vs in games (that I was also told alot had to do with the friggin coaching).
The kid has the talent. Between he and Shirreffs ( if he does actually come back and play), the offense should see substantial improvement this coming year.
Keep in mind that they did not run a true spread offense. The coaches really had no idea what they were running or calling. A full spring and summer camp of practice is going to do wonders for the two.

Reaction Score
He did tend to lock into an option and not see alternatives but more often than not he didn't have much time to cycle through them. Behind a more effective OL he'll look much better.
Not to mention a much better QB coach.

Reaction Score
If we get the Shirreffs that played the second half of the Navy game we win 8 games.

He had us ready to beat Navy in a crappy system until Coach Debacle stepped in. Poor blocking and injuries did the rest. I'd love to see him healthy under a competent OC, because so far no one else has shown themselves ready to compete at the same level.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
"eating" (slang for doing something really well) for the family.

haha thank you, the nfl analysts get that wrong alllllllllll the time, esp. when zeke elliot used to do it they would be like " and he is saying feed me! keep feeding me!".... smh thats not what it means lol

Reaction Score
For BS, short throws in the flat and downfield while on the move as well as deep throws were his weaknesses. If he can get better at these we could win quite a few games. His mid range game was pretty good and he had decent running skills. Add in a true offense coordinator who can teach and things may improve dramatically.

Reaction Score
For BS, short throws in the flat and downfield while on the move as well as deep throws were his weaknesses. If he can get better at these we could win quite a few games. His mid range game was pretty good and he had decent running skills. Add in a true offense coordinator who can teach and things may improve dramatically.
That;s the problem for him playing in Lashlee's O if he runs it like he did at Auburn. The spread option part he won't have a problem with..BUT when he needs to make the big throws down the field that are called for in that offense he can't make them because his arm isn't that strong.

Reaction Score
The worst stain of the PP era was his treatment of Whitmer. If Whitmer was my son I would have gone on the field and slapped the crap out of Pasqualoni, as I posted at the time?

In Edsall I trust.
Casey Whitmer?

C

Chief00

That;s the problem for him playing in Lashlee's O if he runs it like he did at Auburn. The spread option part he won't have a problem with..BUT when he needs to make the big throws down the field that are called for in that offense he can't make them because his arm isn't that strong.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he ends up as the backup because Williams beat him out in camp. Never bad to have another warm body, but we're going nowhere with him(or anyone else) at QB if he doesn't get significantly better.

Williams performances were so bad those last three games if I was on the new staff I'd be having him running pass routes starting in the Spring. If UConn is going to be the type of team we all hope that it will, DW never takes another snap as a QB for them again. Turn him into an all-purpose WR you can do reverses with and throw an occasional pass a la Deshon Foxx.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Williams performances were so bad those last three games if I was on the new staff I'd be having him running pass routes starting in the Spring. If UConn is going to be the type of team we all hope that it will, DW never takes another snap as a QB for them again. Turn him into an all-purpose WR you can do reverses with and throw an occasional pass a la Deshon Foxx.
If we gave up on players after their true freshmen season, a lot of really good players would've never been discovered. I personally want to see what he can do with complete support from the coaching staff, an entire offseason to prepare, and finally an OC who actually knows what he's doing.

Diaco threw him out there as a last ditch effort to save his job, we all saw he wasn't ready. But who knows, maybe with some time he becomes a solid player.

I've seen enough of Sheriffs to know he's a glorified FB. Love his passion and sacrifice for the school, but he's seen enough game time for everyone to understand his talent at this point.

Reaction Score
If we gave up on players after their true freshmen season, a lot of really good players would've never been discovered. I personally want to see what he can do with complete support from the coaching staff, an entire offseason to prepare, and finally an OC who actually knows what he's doing.

Diaco threw him out there as a last ditch effort to save his job, we all saw he wasn't ready. But who knows, maybe with some time he becomes a solid player.

I've seen enough of Sheriffs to know he's a glorified FB. Love his passion and sacrifice for the school, but he's seen enough game time for everyone to understand his talent at this point.

If someone on the roster is not better then DW or if they can't recruit someone that is, like the JUCO Pinder they are after, or mayber a post grad then they will not have winning seasons. Better to maximize the kid's talent early and get him into a position where he can contribute.

Reaction Score

Well said. However, BS injury aside, I believe it was strategic and as I have said on several occasions, if it turns out DW is the starter in 2017 fans will be thankful that he got those 3 shaky frosh games out of the way last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm pretty old and it's still like 12-15% of my life since we could go into a football season and think it might actually be enjoyable.

What Edsall and crew are doing on the recruiting trail is surreal. It's like after 20+ years I'm a fan of a normal football program that just goes out and recruits good players, plays a modern style and isn't trying to either squeeze blood from a stone, play 20 years in the past or reinvent the sport.

I'm not even sure how to react.

Dare I say #uptick????? aghh might get hit with a trademark fee, if it ever makes it to HFD's computer screen. Although the loon was a half of a decade to early. He must have the biggest stiffy right now, if hes sober enough.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If someone on the roster is not better then DW or if they can't recruit someone that is, like the JUCO Pinder they are after, or mayber a post grad then they will not have winning seasons. Better to maximize the kid's talent early and get him into a position where he can contribute.

This is about as stupid as anything I've read here lately. Nobody here or anywhere knows whether Donovan will be a successful QB this year or later in his career. You sure as hell don't.

Reaction Score
Dare I say #uptick????? aghh might get hit with a trademark fee, if it ever makes it to HFD's computer screen. Although the loon was a half of a decade to early. He must have the biggest stiffy right now, if hes sober enough.

Given our class is still ranked like 108... I'd say... no. Do not say that.

Reaction Score

You sound like a knowledgeable person and seem confident in your assessment. Maybe you are correct. He certainly is athletic and I too could see him as a receiver. I thought Tyler Davis showed leadership and a strong arm but the coaching staff opted to move Davis to TE and keep DW at QB. I am still hoping that DW's high school coach was correct when he said:

"He [Williams] was the biggest miss in the state of Virginia," Lilly went on to say about schools like Virginia and Penn State who passed on the 6'4" 215-lb true freshman. And Lilly should know. Following a stellar high school career in Virginia, he went on to star in college with the Florida Gators before the Denver Broncos selected him in the 3rd round of the 1984 NFL Draft. Lilly's final game came in Super Bowl XXII.

Williams' predecessor at C.D. Hylton, QB Travon McQuillon ended up at Virginia Tech. During the recruiting process, Lilly called Williams an even bigger prospect. So it's no reason the Huskies coaching staff was exuberant when he committed in June of 2015. And they made sure to stay in touch with Williams until signing day, including visiting on multiple occasions.

I have noted that McQuillon ended up being a quality running back for VA Tech and perhaps as you say a position change could be in store for DW. I'm just going to wait and see how things develop over the winter and into the spring. I met his Dad who played QB at SC State so I'm hoping he has it in his DNA.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought Tyler Davis showed leadership and a strong arm but the coaching staff opted to move Davis to TE and keep DW at QB.

I would not mind Tyler Davis moving back to QB to compete for the job this spring. Someone said about a month ago that he can't make "all" the throws, but I think the organ above the shoulders is far more important than the appendage attached at the shoulder. If Davis is 3rd string or worse entering Fall camp, he reverts back to TE, no harm, no foul.

Moving Donovan Williams after three true freshman year games, with grossly underqualified play-calling offensive coordinators is premature at best.

Reaction Score
I would not mind Tyler Davis moving back to QB to compete for the job this spring. Someone said about a month ago that he can't make "all" the throws, but I think the organ above the shoulders is far more important than the appendage attached at the shoulder. If Davis is 3rd string or worse entering Fall camp, he reverts back to TE, no harm, no foul.

Moving Donovan Williams after three true freshman year games, with grossly underqualified play-calling offensive coordinators is premature at best.
That was me..and he was down right horrific during the spring game! You guys slam Williams on here and what Davis showed was much worse. Go watch some highlights of Nick Marshall at Auburn on YouTube. The QB in Lashlee's offense needs to be able to throw the deep ball effectively. It's a big part of this offense. If Williams stays at QB that means Lashlee thinks he can make him into a QB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom