Bryant Shirreffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Are you sure you meant to say that? lol I thought I saw BS running for his life most of the time last season. And the "coaching"? Beg to differ here..it WAS terrible!
I think it was just a typo. I knew he meant he WAS under duress.

Reaction Score
My initial thought was the same 31, but when you look at the wording, it's not like just one word was off...so it does seem like it was the intended message. Hope not though!

Reaction Score
Are you sure you meant to say that? lol I thought I saw BS running for his life most of the time last season. And the "coaching"? Beg to differ here..it WAS terrible!

I took it as sarcasm.

Typo.

Should have said: There was never really a time where Bryant wasn't constantly under duress, or dealing with terrible coaching either.

Which is still a confusing way to say "Like Williams, Bryant also spent a lot of time running for his life, and dealing with terrible coaching".

Reaction Score
Well that is good news. If someone beats him out, good for the new QB. But if BS stays healthy I am at least not worried that we get competent QB play, and then I can truly start figuring out how Edsall rides this year's large and experienced senior class to a winning season

You and I have been big supporters of Bryant through thick and thin. I think we'll see the QB we expected last year if he's healthy. Accurate short passing, big runs fairly often and plenty of composure. If his troubles with the long ball this year were related to his ribs (quite possible), he could have a great year and in turn bring us a surprising number of wins.

Reaction Score
Typo.

Should have said: There was never really a time where Bryant wasn't constantly under duress, or dealing with terrible coaching either.

Which is still a confusing way to say "Like Williams, Bryant also spent a lot of time running for his life, and dealing with terrible coaching".
That seems much more reasonable and more like something you would say WingU! For a moment, I thought you might have been trapped in a dream like in Dicaprio's movie Inception! ;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Has Bryant already graduated? Obviously free to do whatever, but if he plays for one more season is it possible he could start an MBA or another post-grad degree?

Hopefully they would work that out better than the Robbie Frey fiasco.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somebody tell Bryant to practice his foot steps and timing on post, hook and square in route trees. Can't be overthrowing or underthrowing those when you've got an open middle field read and the receiver has leverage. Ball has to come out to the spot.

Somebody tell Donovan Williams that he needs to know what all that means before he's ready.
I'm on it! (Oh, wait, I'm not...:rolleyes:)

Really glad for Bryant. I'm sure he wasn't happy with how things ended for him in 2016. I'd love for him to get a chance to show what he can do when he actually has some protection.

Reaction Score
You and I have been big supporters of Bryant
through thick and thin. I think we'll see the QB we expected last year if he's healthy. Accurate short passing, big runs fairly often and plenty of composure. If his troubles with the long ball this year were related to his ribs (quite possible), he could have a great year and in turn bring us a surprising number of wins.

You are correct that I belive that, healthy, he may be our best QB since Orlovsky. And no, 4 games from someone does not get you in the discussion. But that is not even the issue here. If you think that at best he's below average, that's fine. HE'S STILL THE BEST WE'VE GOT UNTIL WE SEE SOMEONE ELSE GET ON THE FIELD AND PLAY BETTER. And I do believe that the Lashlee system is made for him (although you can certainly argue that the system would like a QB with greater 40 speed).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You are correct that I belive that, healthy, he may be our best QB since Orlovsky. And no, 4 games from someone does not get you in the discussion. But that is not even the issue here. If you think that at best he's below average, that's fine. HE'S STILL THE BEST WE'VE GOT UNTIL WE SEE SOMEONE ELSE GET ON THE FIELD AND PLAY BETTER. And I do believe that the Lashlee system is made for him (although you can certainly argue that the system would like a QB with greater 40 speed).

I hope BS comes back. He got NO help help last year. Read NO as ZERO, NADA, ZILCH. His line didn't protect him and the coaching just stood by and allowed him to take a beating, IMO. I don't know what Lashlee's offense is like but BS should be a very effective 3-5 step drop QB. Run short outs, slants, crosses. Let your TE chip then slip into the flat on the weak side, moving pocket, etc.

Reaction Score
Everyone is seriously overlooking DW in this offensive style. He does not need to sling it 30 times a game now. He would be very effective in this type of spread. We saw him get out and run a bit last year. Don't dismiss him based on the 3 game disaster of last year when the coaching staff had zero clue what they were calling for plays and he was constantly under duress.
I'm not saying he is the next coming of Cam Newton but he is alot better than what we saw.

I don't think Lashlee comes here and takes a pay cut if he didn't believe he had a QB. Whether that guy is BS, DW, or a transfer is yet to be 100% determined. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Lashlee thought DW could be the guy for his system.

Reaction Score
O.K., as exciting as the last four weeks have been, we still don't have a QB for next year. Here is my question. The players are all back for the second semester. There must have been a meeting where the players showed up, met the new staff and started their new strength and conditioning programs.

So when they had the meeting, was BS in the room or not? There must be an answer to that.

BS coming back is not a bad thing. He's a tough hard nosed player. A serviceable QB with some mobility. If he does, there will be a competition for the starting job which is a good thing. I wasn't impressed with DW's 3 game debut and see that he has a work to do. I still believe those three games were valuable experience for both DW and the coaching staff to evaluate and build upon. It gave him a chance to get a feel for the speed of the game and will help his confidence going forward. Everyone is pushing for the best man for the job. I just think in the end DW's athleticism will prevail and that Lashlee will help maximize Donovan's talent.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Didn't BS have an injury that affected his throwing motion?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Didn't BS have an injury that affected his throwing motion?

Had a rib injury during the season (and probably other injuries as well), but I'd imagine an entire offseason to heal could help.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
BS had a good first season and then his game fell to crap and he couldn't hit a reciever.
With an entire off season to heal, he could be accurate again.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
BS had a good first season and then his game fell to crap and he couldn't hit a reciever.
With an entire off season to heal, he could be accurate again.

Have you ever tried even touching your toes with a rib injury? I can't blame him for struggling with displaced ribs.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
My initial thought was the same 31, but when you look at the wording, it's not like just one word was off...so it does seem like it was the intended message. Hope not though!
yeah I read 'was' to be 'wasn't' and it made sense.

Reaction Score
BS coming back is not a bad thing. He's a tough hard nosed player. A serviceable QB with some mobility. If he does, there will be a competition for the starting job which is a good thing. I wasn't impressed with DW's 3 game debut and see that he has a work to do. I still believe those three games were valuable experience for both DW and the coaching staff to evaluate and build upon. It gave him a chance to get a feel for the speed of the game and will help his confidence going forward. Everyone is pushing for the best man for the job. I just think in the end DW's athleticism will prevail and that Lashlee will help maximize Donovan's talent.

BS has similar skills to Tyler Lorenzan who thrived in Edsall's system. He's also a guy who would most likely thrive with LR as the OC. My prediction by this time next year when BS will be finished with his eligibility LR will have one of "his guys" in to QB and DW will either be transferring or switching to WR.

Reaction Score
BS has similar skills to Tyler Lorenzan who thrived in Edsall's system. He's also a guy who would most likely thrive with LR as the OC. My prediction by this time next year when BS will be finished with his eligibility LR will have one of "his guys" in to QB and DW will either be transferring or switching to WR.

Lorenzen was a gamer and a great runner. However, BS is a much more talented QB overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom