Bryant Shirreffs | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bryant Shirreffs

Reaction Score
History of concussions? How many has he had, when did he have them, and what was their severity?

We know he had one in November of 2015. Logic doesn't suggest that should or would keep him from playing in 2017, when it didn't keep him from playing in 2016.

He doesn't need your approval, or understanding, of what playing, anywhere, "does" for him. He gets to decide for himself.

The fact that he may only have one more year to play this game at a level far higher than most people ever reach, is only more incentive to play.

But if he plays at least this year, he can re-assess next year. And he'll get to tell his son or daughter that he didn't quit on his dream. That he knew he had a short window to do something he loves, and he didn't quit just because some on a sports message board obviously doesn't get why people play sports.
...some people just love playing the game and competing. Yes, radical concept for some, but there is more to it than making the Pros. Heck, in my 30s I wished there was a way to keep playing. A group of us toyed with creating some town teams but the costs and venue liability problems were too big to overcome. I ended up playing in a very physical (blocking allowed) flag football league where I tore my knee up. But, there is nothing like being black and blue for a few days each week. His decision not ours.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He's not an elusive runner along the lines of a Nick Marshall was

I honestly don't why he'd even want to play with any history of concussions and zero chance of playing professionally

You do realize most players are not going to play professionally and either way, he has done much more than you ever have on the gridiron.
He is a tough player who had a lousy offense scheme and a sub-par offensive line.

Go follow Alabama already

Reaction Score
I doubt he even plays in the new system honestly even if he wants to

I could care less if he wants to, I hope they move on, like the original post I've seen enough of him to know he's a slow-footed FB like NC State determined 3 years ago

History of concussions? How many has he had, when did he have them, and what was their severity?

We know he had one in November of 2015. Logic doesn't suggest that should or would keep him from playing in 2017, when it didn't keep him from playing in 2016.

He doesn't need your approval, or understanding, of what playing, anywhere, "does" for him. He gets to decide for himself.

The fact that he may only have one more year to play this game at a level far higher than most people ever reach, is only more incentive to play.

But if he plays at least this year, he can re-assess next year. And he'll get to tell his son or daughter that he didn't quit on his dream. That he knew he had a short window to do something he loves, and he didn't quit just because some on a sports message board obviously doesn't get why people play sports.

Reaction Score
Pardon me men for injecting a personal old timer's story, but perhaps it relates to the above opinions regarding BS's decision to play (or not), a most personal one for him with having his own family now. At the UVA game this past year the Football Alumni under Coach Baylock's direction were gathered together, as they are every once(or twice?, my first time), a season to go down on the field as the team runs out. We meet at one of the gate entrances, try to put the faces with the names and go down on the field. One of my teammates, a soft spoken slightly limping tall defensive lineman with arms down to his knees, I have'nt seen in 44 years.... We stood together there, on the playing field, silent. I watched as he looked up and around, not at the stadium that rose above us, but the blue sky above that stadium, and he spoke to me, (at least I believe it was directed to me), "You know, it feels right to have this field beneath our feet again..." Now, they say "the poet's job is to express the inexpressible..." I may not be able to express it properly, but I felt I knew exactly what he meant at that moment. It wasn't about "Glory Days" or some exaggerated youthful memory of Living in the Past, but our individual long ago selves, when we were boys blessed with youthful healthy vigor growing into men, playing a team game with fellow travelers that led us out unto the Green Fields and Blue October New England Skies, Muddy Fields and Grey Skies, Windy and Cold, Freezing and Sweat, Victory & Defeat. We were Alive with a purpose of fulfilling our spirits in a way. "This field beneath our feet...", was not just our respective college fields, but the local high school fields where we went after, or before, our summer jobs, mostly alone or with a few friends or fellow local players, the sweat dripping off the back of your neck, running alone, crossing midfield, bursting your lungs, feeling your legs like you would never feel them again. Lord knows many a young man, myself..., has born the weight of the axiom, "Youth is Wasted on the Young...", but most players of the game, whether it be the Big East, AAC or Yankee Conference, or that Last High School game..., as they come upon their last season, last game..., whatever else they may be blind to, it comes upon them, and they grasp it with all their inner and outer being and realize how fleeting it all was... Perhaps Bryant Shirreffs is contemplating that now.... "One More Season..., Just one More..., Before I Leave and Never Return...."

Reaction Score
Good story, I really doubt they build their offense around him

He has no speed, his throwing is so-so at best

I mean, if you read this board you'd think he is Sam Darnold or something, he was ranked in the bottom 20% of all FBS QBs, I'm not the only person who thinks he is not a good QB

Pardon me men for injecting a personal old timer's story, but perhaps it relates to the above opinions regarding BS's decision to play (or not), a most personal one for him with having his own family now. At the UVA game this past year the Football Alumni under Coach Baylock's direction were gathered together, as they are every once(or twice?, my first time), a season to go down on the field as the team runs out. We meet at one of the gate entrances, try to put the faces with the names and go down on the field. One of my teammates, a soft spoken slightly limping tall defensive lineman with arms down to his knees, I have'nt seen in 44 years.... We stood together there, on the playing field, silent. I watched as he looked up and around, not at the stadium that rose above us, but the blue sky above that stadium, and he spoke to me, (at least I believe it was directed to me), "You know, it feels right to have this field beneath our feet again..." Now, they say "the poet's job is to express the inexpressible..." I may not be able to express it properly, but I felt I knew exactly what he meant at that moment. It wasn't about "Glory Days" or some exaggerated youthful memory of Living in the Past, but our individual long ago selves, when we were boys blessed with youthful healthy vigor growing into men, playing a team game with fellow travelers that led us out unto the Green Fields and Blue October New England Skies, Muddy Fields and Grey Skies, Windy and Cold, Freezing and Sweat, Victory & Defeat. We were Alive with a purpose of fulfilling our spirits in a way. "This field beneath our feet...", was not just our respective college fields, but the local high school fields where we went after, or before, our summer jobs, mostly alone or with a few friends or fellow local players, the sweat dripping off the back of your neck, running alone, crossing midfield, bursting your lungs, feeling your legs like you would never feel them again. Lord knows many a young man, myself..., has born the weight of the axiom, "Youth is Wasted on the Young...", but most players of the game, whether it be the Big East, AAC or Yankee Conference, or that Last High School game..., as they come upon their last season, last game..., whatever else they may be blind to, it comes upon them, and they grasp it with all their inner and outer being and realize how fleeting it all was... Perhaps Bryant Shirreffs is contemplating that now.... "One More Season..., Just one More..., Before I Leave and Never Return...."

Reaction Score
Lock it.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what happens if Lashlee deems BS not to be the guy to run his offense. The melt down on here may actually be epic..especially if he choses Williams. At this point in time outside of a cryptic instagram post can anyone provide proof that he is definitely coming back?

Here are the offensive plays from the LSU and Arkansas Games (welcome to Rhett Lashlee's offense):

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what happens if Lashlee deems BS not to be the guy to run his offense. The melt down on here may actually be epic..especially if he choses Williams. At this point in time outside of a cryptic instagram post can anyone provide proof that he is definitely coming back?

Idk let's just ask Chief and go with whatever he says

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hammers and speed. Not the most sophisticated offense. I would take Shireffs over White. Interesting that Lashlee would go to the passing game on 3rd and long. It will be interesting to see if we have enough playmakers and good enough blocking in the trenches.

Reaction Score
Here are the offensive plays from the LSU and Arkansas Games (welcome to Rhett Lash lee's offense):

For the record, Lashlee did not call the plays during the LSU game. He took full control of the offense following that game and the Auburn offense flourished.
COLUMN: Post-Lashlee: What Auburn needs on offense - The Auburn Plainsman

"One thing was crystal clear in the 2016 season: Gus Malzahn had little to no grasp on the best rotation for his quarterback circus. Any time anyone under center would get into any sort of rhythm against the now national champion Clemson Tigers, they were pulled from the game in favor of a cold quarterback from the bench. It was not until the offense was handed over to Rhett Lashlee after the LSU game that the offense really flourished. (In the three games against Power 5 opponents under Malzahn’s play calling the offense averaged 16 points per game) Between all the disapprovals and unfortunate injuries, Sean White had an incredible outing this past season for the Tigers. The redshirt sophomore was the most efficient quarterback in the conference until the loss in Athens to Georgia. White’s inconsistency derived from his injuries, meaning backups Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III were needed."

Reaction Score
Wow, the bias on this topic is incredulous

NC State evaluated BS and said he couldn't play QB. We've seen him play and realize he can't run, no speed, and his throws past 10 yards are inaccurate and he has zero ability to make more than 1 read

White was rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was ranked among the top quarterbacks in his class

Hammers and speed. Not the most sophisticated offense. I would take Shireffs over White. Interesting that Lashlee would go to the passing game on 3rd and long. It will be interesting to see if we have enough playmakers and good enough blocking in the trenches.

Reaction Score
For the record, Lashlee did not call the plays during the LSU game. He took full control of the offense following that game and the Auburn offense flourished.
COLUMN: Post-Lashlee: What Auburn needs on offense - The Auburn Plainsman

"One thing was crystal clear in the 2016 season: Gus Malzahn had little to no grasp on the best rotation for his quarterback circus. Any time anyone under center would get into any sort of rhythm against the now national champion Clemson Tigers, they were pulled from the game in favor of a cold quarterback from the bench. It was not until the offense was handed over to Rhett Lashlee after the LSU game that the offense really flourished. (In the three games against Power 5 opponents under Malzahn’s play calling the offense averaged 16 points per game) Between all the disapprovals and unfortunate injuries, Sean White had an incredible outing this past season for the Tigers. The redshirt sophomore was the most efficient quarterback in the conference until the loss in Athens to Georgia. White’s inconsistency derived from his injuries, meaning backups Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III were needed."
Which is why I put the LSU game up..to show any differences that there were play calling wise between Gus and Rhett.

Reaction Score
I think White has a much better arm than BS has. The throwing of the deep ball is a HUGE part of this offense. The run and mis-direction which is out of Tubby Raymond's Wing-T forces the defense to pack the box to stop the run. This opens up the vertical passing game on play action...which the QB needs to hit. Definitely NOT BS's strong point. The dink and dunk passing game in which he would excel doesn't really exist in this offense.

C

Chief00

Idk let's just ask Chief and go with whatever he says

After what Diaco did with BS health last season - I can't pile on. I have previously evaluated his QB traits so I won't repeat that. I think he is a tough kid and like he acknowledged sometimes that has been to his detriment.

Unless he can change what appears to be his instincts - I think he should quit football for his long term health. Verducci made an insightful comment about run vs pass plays - when it appeared he called mostly runs. BS if given an option would almost always run and on pass plays - many times in an instant they would be running plays too. I think it's too late for BS to develop a QB demeanor.
Given his rib and head issues it makes it even more questionable. I just think he knows no other way. I also know in private Diaco claimed to talk to other team leaders about making the QB switch - it wasn't in his mind unilateral - although I think he had the ability to influence the team leaders on it consciously or not. Bob claimed the other players were ready for a switch. Sounds like that time they convinced him to run down by the goal line LOL.
I am saying all this not knowing if we will have someone better - so this is all about his health. He has too many scabs that can be picked in terms of reinjury. Last season he re-injured his wrist in addition to his ribs. As far as the toll all the hits took on his head - I am not qualified or privy to know - but it has to be a concern at a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Good story, I really doubt they build their offense around him

He has no speed, his throwing is so-so at best

I mean, if you read this board you'd think he is Sam Darnold or something, he was ranked in the bottom 20% of all FBS QBs, I'm not the only person who thinks he is not a good QB
You're literally the biggest I've ever had the chance to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Wow, the bias on this topic is incredulous

NC State evaluated BS and said he couldn't play QB. We've seen him play and realize he can't run, no speed, and his throws past 10 yards are inaccurate and he has zero ability to make more than 1 read

White was rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was ranked among the top quarterbacks in his class

Who do you want as QB next year? My opinion is that BS is the best option we have at the moment. That doesn't mean he's great. It doesn't mean he's good. It just means that he gives us the best chance to win the most amount of games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
...some people just love playing the game and competing. Yes, radical concept for some, but there is more to it than making the Pros. Heck, in my 30s I wished there was a way to keep playing. A group of us toyed with creating some town teams but the costs and venue liability problems were too big to overcome. I ended up playing in a very physical (blocking allowed) flag football league where I tore my knee up. But, there is nothing like being black and blue for a few days each week. His decision not ours.
I played one game of competive organized flag football when I was like 23 and understood instantly why you only play once a week. God bless you.

Reaction Score
I doubt he even plays in the new system honestly even if he wants to

I could care less if he wants to, I hope they move on, like the original post I've seen enough of him to know he's a slow-footed FB like NC State determined 3 years ago

I love how you put so much stock in a decision made by a staff that is 9-23 in conference play . . . perhaps they should have done a few things differently?

Reaction Score
What I am wondering is why the heck is this thread generating so much snark? It is ski season for crying out loud. Relax and let's see what happens on that warm April day when the blossoms start to come out and we all get sunburned at the spring game because we forgot the sun blocker. Life is too short ....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

If you are referring to ChiefOO's 11:39 on 01/29 - you are out of bounds
I like BS and really love his guts and determination, but I feel Cheif's assessment to be very much on target
BS was banged around, dented and hurt. It was because of the style he played - a combination of his style and the lack of protection
IF he was to come back and take the QB position, he will need to change aspects of his game - needing to step into the pocket and pass from that position - can he? who knows
He has a family now and needs to look at life in a different perspective

Reaction Score
I like BS and really love his guts and determination, but I feel Cheif's assessment to be very much on target
BS was banged around, dented and hurt. It was because of the style he played - a combination of his style and the lack of protection
IF he was to come back and take the QB position, he will need to change aspects of his game - needing to step into the pocket and pass from that position - can he? who knows
@gtcam if you look at @Jarhead_1775 post you will realize he was referring to @JSM1970 and not @Chief00

Reaction Score
Was referring to @JSM1970, the human turd.

Reaction Score
Sure genius

I think he's a terrible QB, just like NC State determined early on

He has no acccuracy beyond 10 yards and he can't run

If he's the best they have for this year then so be it, they will be upgrading at every position going forward

Was referring to @JSM1970, the human turd.

Reaction Score
Sure genius

I think he's a terrible QB, just like NC State determined early on

He has no acccuracy beyond 10 yards and he can't run

If he's the best they have for this year then so be it, they will be upgrading at every position going forward
@JSM1970 you crack me up....you run your mouth on here incessantly and when people call you out on your bulls**t instead of responding you just disappear and act like the posts never happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom