Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you don't mind I will step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Anyone else hoping there is a national change to a drinking age of 18? I mean, come on:
Legal drinking age - Wikipedia (look at all that blue)

And surely the campus has something like a designated drivers system set up (good use of student funds if you ask me) to help intoxicated students to get back home safely. I know some UNIs do. Not sure in the case of Uconn. Some campuses have students who volunteer even.

Would help a lot of students to avoid trouble, or at least, make that trouble much less severe. Instead of continuing to point fingers, maybe looking for solutions is a good idea to find ways to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of this occurring again.

As someone who missed being grandfathered by a few months when CT changed it to 21, I think it's long overdue. If you can vote and join the military, you can drink. There is no rational debate to the contrary. Ride sharing has dramatically reduced drunk driving. Create safe environments where college aged kids can consume alcohol and it will reduce problems.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For the 10,000th time, thank God there were no cell phones or social media when I was in high school or college.
OTOH, thank God for Lyft and Uber. Our daughters' Lyft and Uber accounts are charged to my credit card and I have emphasized to each of them that I never want them to have any excuse for drunk driving or not having a safe ride. I don't pay for a clean-up surcharge, and I am not happy to see one, but it is far preferable to the alternative.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
God I hope our recruits don’t stumble upon this place when researching our fan base. It’s a terrible look. You would think half of the posters here are getting off thinking about the charges and their own version of punishment. None of us numbskulls will have any influence in how this plays out for James or the University.

Let’s be thankful no one got hurt, take the facts for what they are (not speculation), and hope that this plays out in the best way possible for this young man and the university long term, which means he learns a lesson and goes on to represent all of us in the best way possible. Once a Husky, always a Husky.

As others have said, we’ve all been reckless teens, and perhaps some of you pointing fingers still are. Those in glass houses...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
And her changing her statement definitely is only because that is the truth, it has nothing to do with crushing social pressure or other influence.

Why do you presume to know the reason she changed her statement? And by the way, if she was sh!tfaced at 1:30am the night of the incident, then when they took her statement sometime before 5am she was probably still sh!tfaced. Who’s to say she made her original statement with a clear mind?

The reason the DUI case can't be proven is that he fled the scene to avoid being tested. Which last I saw was a crime.

It is. And that’s why he’s been charged with evading and interfering. There is simply a charge for leaving the scene- it doesn’t make a distinction as to why. The Boneyard is making that leap. He’s been appropriately charged it would seem.

Reaction Score
How about we all let this play out and also let James Bouknight prove that he is better than this? I am willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt once he completes his punishment. I was no angel at age 19, and I suspect many others weren't either. this is certainly not a great way to start one's college career but it is also certainly something that can be overcome in the next year or two if James does everything he is supposed to.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t charged with stealing a car.
A technicality. He took a car without asking permission. Took the keys and the car and left. The victim first said he didn't have permission. Later she said that she didn't remember. Lucky JB.

Truth is we will never know if he stole the car but judging by the subsequent behavior, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Bad move.

Reaction Score
freescooter doesn't care about facts he just wants to soapbox. and he wants to root for California Baptist, not big time MCBB.
Sorry I missed that line. I read he surrendered Oct 3. Point still stands though. He drove a car into a sign post. Didn’t have a license Ran and hid from the cops. But it is the cop’s fault because he wrote up what happened. You can’t make this stuff up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How about we all let this play out and also let James Bouknight prove that he is better than this? I am willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt once he completes his punishment.
Nah, Man. Haven't you heard? He downed a bunch of Lemmon quaaludes, chased them with 30 rack, then stole a $300,000 Lamborghini Countach, and backed into a Jaguar, hit golf cart, park bench, and Jetta before smacking into the street sign.

The girl's parents are booster though, so they made her change her story. :rolleyes:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I’m sorry. I could have sworn I read that they were at Teds.
Yesterday's updated Courant article stated some girls were at Ted's. Went home and then invited 15-20 people to come over.

Reaction Score
A technicality. He took a car without asking permission. Took the keys and the car and left. The victim first said he didn't have permission. Later she said that she didn't remember. Lucky JB.

Truth is we will never know if he stole the car but judging by the subsequent behavior, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Bad move.
Again, this is all wrong. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Reaction Score

This is the dumbest post in this thread and that is saying something. "A technicality." Jesus.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Head bang

Does it ever start to hurt after a while?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Bad move.
Luckily for him, that's not how the courts work. In fact, he is afford exactly the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
I don't know man, if Auburn and other schools are able to self discipline and keep playing, why wouldn't UConn folllow the NCAAs lead and just let Bouknight self-discipline himself

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know man, if Auburn and other schools are able to self discipline and keep playing, why wouldn't UConn folllow the NCAAs lead and just let Bouknight self-discipline himself

Bouknight has self-imposed a punishment of 5 Saturday morning hangovers. He's almost completed it.

Reaction Score
It is. And that’s why he’s been charged with evading and interfering. There is simply a charge for leaving the scene- it doesn’t make a distinction as to why. The Boneyard is making that leap. He’s been appropriately charged it would seem.

Yes, he has been appropriately charged. But the reason he has been appropriately charged is that in a very real sense he beat the system. He evaded arrest so he could sober up. He shouldn't get credit for that decision. However a lot of people on this board are giving him credit for that decision because it means they have enough credible deniability to let him play basketball.

Think about what this board would be saying if it was a Louisville BB player in this circumstance.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, he has been appropriately charged. But the reason he has been appropriately charged is that in a very real sense he beat the system. He evaded arrest so he could sober up. He shouldn't get credit for that decision. However a lot of people on this board are giving him credit for that decision because it means they have enough credible deniability to let him play basketball.

Think about what this board would be saying if it was a Louisville BB player in this circumstance.

We'd be saying exactly what you just said.

I think we can give the police and others involved in this credit. They didn't lie or cover anything up. They are not prosecuting Bouknight to the full extent of the law, but they never do in a first offense of a young man. Everything seems to be getting handled in a reasonable way.

Bouknight now has an arrest record and if in the future he repeats bad behavior he won't be treated as leniently. Let's hope there will be no more bad behavior.

Reaction Score
You leave out that she took back her statement and therefore he did not take her car without permission. Everything I bolded is wrong and you keep repeating it wont make it become true.

You & Everyone else need to focus on what he is being charged with not what the police report says. That's all hurley and the school will focus on.
Yeah. Because prosecutors never make judgements about what to charge people with. They never let folks plead to lesser charges for various reasons including just to move things along and save the state the time and money of going to trial. Since he already admitted to some of the lesser matters, driving w/o a license, leaving the scene, and the owner recanted on the theft charge the prosecutor likely took the layup. Kid pleads guilty to speeding and no license and leaving the scene and gets a few hours community service and the conviction wiped away if he keeps his nose clean for a couple of years. The other things are harder to prove so they let them go. Of course no prosecutor would ever do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom