Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having just read the story, he is a very lucky young man.
And a very good lawyer who has experience with UConn athletes. In the eyes of the law, the DUI would probably not stand without the breathalyzer. A good lawyer can twist that “alcohol smell” into something else very easily. Who knows about the punishment, the fact he was able to participate in first night makes you wonder though.

Reaction Score
Soon there will be video of the stop or what he was doing before the stop. Nobody seems to be letting up from twitter investigators to our beat writers. Connecticut trying to bring down one it’s own again...and that’s fine sometimes I guess, but this is a teenager who messed up. There really isn’t a need to keep piling on.

Reaction Score
KId got scared panicked because he was probably drunk and driving without a license and ran. Probably better than getting a DUI in my opinion. Hurley will dish out a reasonable penalty. Who knows what that might be, honestly, i can see a 2 game suspension and I can see a 4 game suspension.

That's a reasonable penalty for DUI? In what unuverse?

Reaction Score
Sure you can. DUI is a charge. BAC reading is a piece of evidence.

How were DUIs charges prosecuted prior to the late 60s? Alcohol is not the only intoxicating substance. BAC is useless for those cases.
Cops can do whatever they want but they would be idiots to, no chance it would hold up in court.

How were DUI charges prosecuted prior to the late 60's? They weren't.

Reaction Score
Not asking for any special treatment for James but the vibe Chief got early on when I became aware of the situation, was that the cop seemed to enjoy throwing the entire book at James when one minor charge on a minor incident would do.
Chief be chief’n.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Or ESPN is in Connecticut, they read the Boneyard, and this is news of interest to them.

It is the continuation of crappy on all things UConn for some damn reason

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Normal student does this he gets arrested and expelled. Basketball player does this...we'll see what happens. World isn't fair. To all you people saying everyone does stupid things, how about you all shut up. Everyone does stupid things, not everyone is a highly touted recruit, drives recklessly while likely drunk without a license after allegedly stealing a car. Can you all for one time take off your ridiculous UConn colored glasses.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Normal student does this he gets arrested and expelled. Basketball player does this...we'll see what happens. World isn't fair. To all you people saying everyone does stupid things, how about you all shut up. Everyone does stupid things, not everyone is a highly touted recruit, drives recklessly while likely drunk without a license after allegedly stealing a car. Can you all for one time take off your ridiculous UConn colored glasses.

GTA, now? In the third one, there was a code to call call off the cops. at least on the Playstation. Bouk must have an xBox.

Reaction Score

My roommate didn't get expelled when he got in accident and got DUI and tried to run and hide in the woods behind carriage house.

He was a regular student not an athlete

Reaction Score
Cops can do whatever they want but they would be idiots to, no chance it would hold up in court.

How were DUI charges prosecuted prior to the late 60's? They weren't.
DUI charges in the 60’s? In 1966 my father was killed by a drunk off duty cop. The guy got probation. Nice. No fine. No jail.

Reaction Score
You're completely talking out of your butt.

How about you stop lecturing UConn fans on how they should behave.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're completely talking out of your .

The only thing I'm will to concede about any of this is that: 1) there will be consequences, 2) some will think they are appropriate, 3) some will think otherwise, regardless of severity.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just so you’re aware they all have different stories about what is legal and what the hell is going on. You ever think maybe they are divorce lawyers or real estate lawyers?

That's what lawyers do for a living. obfuscate lol

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
And a very good lawyer who has experience with UConn athletes. In the eyes of the law, the DUI would probably not stand without the breathalyzer. A good lawyer can twist that “alcohol smell” into something else very easily. Who knows about the punishment, the fact he was able to participate in first night makes you wonder though.
Are they even charging him with DUI?

polycom

Reaction Score
You're completely talking out of your butt.

SJ. Strong stance you’ve taken here. Let me know when you decide to become objective.

Reaction Score
SJ. Strong stance you’ve taken here. Let me know when you decide to become objective.
Some advice for you, when you make a dumb statement it's so much better to just admit to making a dumb statement. Don't double down.

polycom

Reaction Score
Some advice for you, when you make a dumb statement it's so much better to just admit to making a dumb statement. Don't double down.

sure thing superwelch.

Reaction Score
So his life should be over? No second chances? This was not a violent crime and thankfully nobody was injured. He's young and he screwed up royally but it's a good kid from a good family(Hurley's words) and by all accounts this was a first offense. Let the legal system, Dan Hurley and the University decide how to proceed. All the people with their judgements must be so perfect. Fans and reporters tend to get overly punitive when a Uconn basketball player gets in trouble as if it's a personal afront to their high moral standards. Maybe college athletes make out better legally than the average student when they screw up, but the average student doesn't have his worst life moment told to the world on ESPN, newspaper websites, twitter, etc...He also doesn't get called a punk by people on a message board by people that never even met him. Ironically, most of those same people will be cheering for him in a couple months when his basketball abilities are used to help their favorite team win and he's a means to their fandoms end.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Except that none of this is true. They can charge you with DUI and then rely on the testimony of the officer to prove the charge. The case would seem relatively flimsy and who knows if a prosecutor would actually go through with trying it, but the police can charge him with DUI.

Certainly true. But no field sobriety test was administered. And if Bouknight was indeed “booking”it away from the car before the cop got there then I think any smell based evidence is incredibly weak. In this era, erratic driving can come from many sources. Texting is one but also lack of experience. He has no license, it’s dark, Dove says the road is difficult. Was the girl in the car? If he kept her from driving then that’s a positive.

The kid messed up big time in any event. But unlike some grumpy old men, I like Hurley’s approach. The kid is ashamed. He’s paying in other ways and this is likely to have an overwhelmingly positive impact on his life as a lesson. Many kids need a second chance after mistakes like this and the system instead sends them down a dark path. I hope we all support James as he works to show us, his coaches and others who he can be.

Reaction Score
Maybe James was drunk. Maybe he wasn't but had alcohol in his system and since hes under 21, that's still a big problem when you get pulled over. Or maybe the cop said he smelled alcohol on his breath because cops always say that (it has happened to me when I wasn't drinking, and one time a cop said he smelled marijuana in my car when I don't smoke, period). Who knows? But I am confident he will not mess up again.
Oh well, then. Since some guy on a message board is confident he won’t screw up again that’s enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom