Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if he was drunk or that he was drinking under the age of 21.

He reportedly smelled of alcohol and was behind the wheel of a car. That's all that matters and it's very, very bad - period.

Assuming the facts of the officer's account are all true, there has to be a suspension here.

Reaction Score
I was on my way to work at 10:30 in the morning on a Tuesday from a prenatal appointment my wife had for my first son. I was stopped on the Mohegan Bridge and the cop asked me no less than a 1/2 dozen times if I had been drinking and if there were drugs or alcohol in my vehicle. Followed up with, "Are you sure?"

I am fairly confident that, after a 3-4 week investigation, if the police/prosecutor thought they could get an alcohol related charge to stick, or if they could use it as a bargaining chip, they would have charged him. Remains to be seen if they will.

Again, you cannot charge someone with a DUI without a breathalyzer testing their BAC or a blood test testing their BAC. You can’t charge someone with “alcohol on their breath.” That’s not how the law works.

They could investigate it for 6 months and have sworn affidavits from acquaintances stating he had been drinking that night, and they still wouldn’t be able to charge him with a DUI because they didn’t test his BAC.

Reaction Score

He reportedly smelled of alcohol and was behind the wheel of a car. That's all that matters and it's very, very bad - period.

Assuming the facts of the officer's account are all true, there has to be a suspension here.

There doesn't have to be anything to appease the Boneyard. Hurley will do what he feels best and if thats not a suspension then I'm fine with it.

Because a cop said he smelled like he was drinking thats all that matters??? It matters what a cop says but cant prove?

pj

Reaction Score
Why would anyone apologize to you? It's still ridiculous, it means about as much as me saying I smelled alcohol on your breath.

Why is it ridiculous to say something that is almost certainly true, and that is supported by testimony from a police officer and a friend of Bouknight's whose car he was driving?

Reaction Score

You can't.

There probably will be a suspension but that is up to Hurley. He explained that James is a good kid with good character and has good parents. I don't think he would say that for no reason. James is probably depressed, embarrassed and sick to his stomach about what happened and especially how his name is all over the news for this..That is a pretty big punishment as it is. For a kid that gets in trouble a lot and really doesn't care, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems like this has already been very bad for James.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Yeah, that ain't holding up in court. Still a bad look though.

Reaction Score
Yeah but this story on their ticker? Really shows how weak ESPN is these days. I, like Viking, couldn't believe this was relevant in this huge world of sports to be on a ticker on a day the World Series was starting as well as the NBA. ESPN is dreadful and this is just more proof as to why.
Espn has gotten so bad. What happened. I used to watch them religiously. Now unless they have live sporting events or SVP’s “bad beats” and “30 for 30s” I won’t flip to their channel. And don’t get me started on SportsCenter- or the shell of what sportscenter used to be. There actually trending more in the TMZ direction than a sports network. Weak

Reaction Score
New Borges
At about 4:48 a.m., Bourgoin returned to the grounds of E.O. Smith High School, across the street from where Bouknight had evaded the officer, and found a black sweatshirt identical to the one Bouknight had been wearing. Upon reviewing the UConn men’s basketball team roster on UConnHuskies.com, the suspect was identified as Bouknight.

Got the crack team on the case.

Reaction Score
Again, you cannot charge someone with a DUI without a breathalyzer testing their BAC or a blood test testing their BAC. You can’t charge someone with “alcohol on their breath.” That’s not how the law works.

They could investigate it for 6 months and have sworn affidavits from acquaintances stating he had been drinking that night, and they still wouldn’t be able to charge him with a DUI because they didn’t test his BAC.

You can charge someone without those tests. There are many factors that build probable cause for a DUI arrest. Observations of erratic driving, accident, alcohol on breath, impaired speech, bloodshot eyes, on scene behavior, admission to drinking, alcohol in car and/or on person, etc. The breath test procedure would come after the on scene arrest. In this case, I would think if alcohol was involved in anyway we would've heard about it by now.

Reaction Score
Why is it ridiculous to say something that is almost certainly true, and that is supported by testimony from a police officer and a friend of Bouknight's whose car he was driving?

You must be going off of some info different than what I have, I'm going off the tweets tcf posted. It said the cop claimed he smelled alcohol on James breath and the girl didn't remember if she gave permission to James to drive because she was intoxicated at the time.

I could care less the cop claimed he smelled alcohol on James breath, cops lie and or are mistaken all the time just like everybody else. There is a reason we have breathalizers, blood tests, field sobriety, dash cams, body cams etc.

pj

Reaction Score
You must be going off of some info different than what I have, I'm going off the tweets tcf posted. It said the cop claimed he smelled alcohol on James breath and the girl didn't remember if she gave permission to James to drive because she was intoxicated at the time.

I could care less the cop claimed he smelled alcohol on James breath, cops lie and or are mistaken all the time just like everybody else. There is a reason we have breathalizers, blood tests, field sobriety, dash cams, body cams etc.

You think that a guy who crashes a car into another car and then a sign at 1:30 am after drinking at Ted's with friends who were too inebriated to remember the details, and who smelled of alcohol according to the cop who came to the scene of the accident, is so likely to have been sober that it's ridiculous to suppose he might have been inebriated?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d like formal apologies from everyone who said it was ridiculous to assume he had been drinking when he crashed a car into a stop sign at 1:38am on a Friday night.I believe there were even threats of bans from the mods.

LOL
I didn't comment at the time but since you mentioned it, it was pointless to assume anything until there were additional facts. Now there are, but I'd still suggest that the best course is to let law enforcement do its thing, the school disciplinary committee do there thing and finally let Hurley to do his. There's zero point in beating this to death here, IMHO.

Reaction Score
You think that a guy who crashes a car into another car and then a sign at 1:30 am after drinking at Ted's with friends who were too inebriated to remember the details, and who smelled of alcohol according to the cop who came to the scene of the accident, is so likely to have been sober that it's ridiculous to suppose he might have been inebriated?
Geezus, it's not about what I think. I have no clue if he was drinking, had one or two beers, or was hammered. I hung out with basketball players who would go out all night to the bar and never had a sip in their life, the hoopers I hung out with at that age mostly smoked herb.

It's just as likely the cop realized he's a Keystone cop and can't deal with the thought/embarrassment of a 19 year old making him look like a dumb*** and added that bit to teach the 19 year old a lesson. I certainly don't automatically take a cop's word just as I don't take anyone's word who holds power over someone else.

You ever been done in by a cop? It absolutely sucks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You’re criminally stupid.

Re-read the article and imagine a smoking crater where your account used to be if you decide to play amateur cop again and accuse someone of drunk driving when you don’t have the candle power to comprehend an article.

Or maybe, you know, he’s onto something?

Reaction Score
It sounds like Bouknight did some dumb things that night but not being "present" to fail a breathalyzer was the smartest thing he did if he was drinking.

Hate to see him miss Fla game & Charleston Classic but he might have to if Hurley has determined on his own the kid was drunk and driving. No reason to ruin the kid and the season but have to see how it plays out before he gets on the court, doubt he plays before Dec but who knows.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Or maybe, you know, he’s onto something?
In a blind squirrel kind of a way?

pj

Reaction Score
the cop realized he's a Keystone cop and can't deal with the thought/embarrassment of a 19 year old making him look like a dumb***

How did Bouknight make him look like a dumb***? Did they have a spelling bee on the street corner and the cop lost?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn't comment at the time but since you mentioned it, it was pointless to assume anything until there were additional facts. Now there are, but I'd still suggest that the best course is to let law enforcement do its thing, the school disciplinary committee do there thing and finally let Hurley to do his. There's zero point in beating this to death here, IMHO.
Never stopped the Boneyard before.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If alcohol was involved, this just got a hell of a lot worse.
I am fairly confident that, after a 3-4 week investigation, if the police/prosecutor thought they could get an alcohol related charge to stick, or if they could use it as a bargaining chip, they would have charged him. Remains to be seen if they will.

This.

Oddly, if he did have a drink, probably did the right thing by getting out of there. Better than blowing over the limit

CL82

Reaction Score
Never stopped the Boneyard before.
1571866984560.png

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Why would you assume that? Smelled alcohol....OK, Prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom