Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Bouknight charged with evading responsibility, interfering with police and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Again, you cannot charge someone with a DUI without a breathalyzer testing their BAC or a blood test testing their BAC. You can’t charge someone with “alcohol on their breath.” That’s not how the law works.

Except that none of this is true. They can charge you with DUI and then rely on the testimony of the officer to prove the charge. The case would seem relatively flimsy and who knows if a prosecutor would actually go through with trying it, but the police can charge him with DUI.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I find it hilarious that everyone now is all of a sudden a Detective or a freaking lawyer. You watch Law and Order or CSI and you think you know what the hell is going on.

Just so you're aware, half the people on this site are lawyers. I can see about 10 of them in this thread.

Reaction Score
Not quite SEC level but UConn Athletic Department has its own fixer on retainer :D;)

“Later that day, attorney Rob Britt, who has represented several UConn athletes in the past, contacted State’s Attorney Matthew Gedansky...”

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Unbelievable that this story was kept under wraps on here for a month. Everyone on campus must have known about the story.

Reaction Score
Why would you assume that? Smelled alcohol....OK, Prove it.
My comments aren't with respect to building a legal case, I'm talking about how the team will handle it. Hurley doesn't need a legal justification - he needs to teach the kid a lesson. If he's drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car that's an enormous lapse in judgment, no matter how old he is and no matter that it's illegal. Hurley needs to get (or have already received) the true story straight to his face from Bouknight then do his own digging to verify it. If it involves drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car, the team punishment can't be equal to that of crashing a scooter.

Of course, a lack of breathalyzer results and an officer's statement aren't enough to convict on DUI. But again, I'm not commenting on whether he can/will be convicted of anything in court.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He’s facing at least a semester suspension, possibly a year. The people angling for no suspension, or even a game or 2 are delusional.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I suspect Rob Britt will eat the prosecutor alive if they go forth with a DUI case here. He’s a realllly good attorney.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Bouknight did some dumb things that night but not being "present" to fail a breathalyzer was the smartest thing he did.
If he was drunk he's smart for getting out of there but still taking a risk with his own safety.

My two biggest run-ins with cops in my life. The first one a cop punched me in the face several times in the back seat of his squad car and threatened to kill me and dump me in an alley, my friend asked for his badge number and he was also arrested. I got out of the charge because I didn't do anything wrong but the cop still got away with what he did to me (still pisses me off to this day.)

My second I was highly intoxicated and in a serious single car crash, the cops screwed up royally and I got away with it and actually could have sued the city if I wanted to (long story.) I think that was karma for the other time the crooked cop screwed me. Two valuable lessons learned at a young age, don't trust cops just because they're cops and if you've been drinking don't ever get behind the wheel.

Whether James had been drinking or not I think he learned a really valuable lesson and thankfully nobody was hurt.

Reaction Score
I suspect Rob Britt will eat the prosecutor alive if they go forth with a DUI case here. He’s a realllly good attorney.

Don't we already know he's not being charged with that?

He got charged by campus police with evading responsibility, interfering with a police officer, traveling too fast for conditions and operating a motor vehicle without a license

Reaction Score
1) Drunk driving is very bad
2) UConn cops smelling something that isn't present at traffic stops happens daily
3) Very, very drunk girl lent him the car

Likely won't ever know what really happened, but I would gladly donate to an "impermissible" money fund to pay for basketball players' Ubers if that's what we need to avoid this in the future

Reaction Score
If he didn’t run away he gets a ticket. It’s leaving the scene especially the way he did it that makes this a problem. He should be suspended until this is totally resolved. Instead Hurley is giving him a sting talking to.
He ran probably because he drank alcohol. The cop said he could smell alcohol as he approached him. He took off so he didn’t have to take a breathalyzer.

Reaction Score
He’s facing at least a semester suspension, possibly a year. The people angling for no suspension, or even a game or 2 are delusional.
i know kids that got caught doing worse things and they didn't get suspended from school... not sure where this is coming from

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Don't we already know he's not being charged with that?

He got charged by campus police with evading responsibility, interfering with a police officer, traveling too fast for conditions and operating a motor vehicle without a license

It’s my understanding they can tack on charges later if necessary but considering it’s been nearly a month long investigation before announcing the charges, my guess would be they’re satisfied they don’t have a strong enough case and he’s only being charged with the announced charges.

Reaction Score

If there was going to be an alcohol charge - it would have already been included.

Reading and combining the Borges article above and this Amore article the situation makes a lot more sense.

Amore: New details of UConn basketball player James Bouknight’s arrest released in warrant including dispute over whether he had permission to drive vehicle

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Great decision making under pressure. Talk about a guy that keeps his cool. Type of player you want on your team late in March
My thoughts exactly! Knows how to get out of tricky situations.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Again, you cannot charge someone with a DUI without a breathalyzer testing their BAC or a blood test testing their BAC. You can’t charge someone with “alcohol on their breath.” That’s not how the law works.

They could investigate it for 6 months and have sworn affidavits from acquaintances stating he had been drinking that night, and they still wouldn’t be able to charge him with a DUI because they didn’t test his BAC.
Sure you can. DUI is a charge. BAC reading is a piece of evidence.

How were DUIs charges prosecuted prior to the late 60s? Alcohol is not the only intoxicating substance. BAC is useless for those cases.

Reaction Score
Sure you can. DUI is a charge. BAC reading is a piece of evidence.

How were DUIs charges prosecuted prior to the late 60s? Alcohol is not the only intoxicating substance. BAC is useless for those cases.
I mean, they really weren't lol. Basically no one used to get DUI's.

Reaction Score
Just so you're aware, half the people on this site are lawyers. I can see about 10 of them in this thread.
Just so you’re aware they all have different stories about what is legal and what the hell is going on. You ever think maybe they are divorce lawyers or real estate lawyers?

Reaction Score
So let’s get this right. Our stud recruit not only takes plays off on the court now he pulls this crap. Off to a bad start I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom