Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Don’t remember Bucky. You might be thinking of Essex Ed, who shed his mortal coil several years ago. I suspect he never got over the time I nearly hit him with a Ginty shot at the second BYC.

Is that the one that Team AAAB, Iron Mike, Wayne, and I won? First time I ever played golf. (AAAB and Mike carried the team, and Wayne was solid. My contribution was bouncing a drive on the 18th hole off CinderellaJones son's chest, sending it to the center of the fairway.)

Last edited:

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Since I first found the boneyard, sometime in the early 2000s, it's the first thing I read in the morning. I almost stopped reading the boneyard two years ago because it was getting too depressing, just like too much of the news. But now it's positive again, a good way to start the day.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Been around since the Courant days (was that called Husky Hardcores?) using the same name with a modification because it wasn't available at one of our stops. So went from Tommyboy (in the wayback machine) to TommyboyUC and finally back to Tommyboy when we finally settled here. Never been a volume poster but probably visited everyday I have had access to the internet. Definitely wasted many an hour here.

Whenever I hear them describe aliens in the movies where "they go from planet to planet using all the natural resources and moving on" it always makes me think of the nomad days with the boneyard. Thanks to everyone who made all this time wasting possible!

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Been around since the Courant days (was that called Husky Hardcores?) using the same name with a modification because it wasn't available at one of our stops. So went from Tommyboy (in the wayback machine) to TommyboyUC and finally back to Tommyboy when we finally settled here. Never been a volume poster but probably visited everyday I have had access to the internet. Definitely wasted many an hour here.

Whenever I hear them describe aliens in the movies where "they go from planet to planet using all the natural resources and moving on" it always makes me think of the nomad days with the boneyard. Thanks to everyone who made all this time wasting possible!
Yes, the Courant’s UConn section was called Husky Hardcores. The comment board was the Husky Howl.

Reaction Score
Was it Bucky who died a few years ago?

Yes. Bucky was Jim Voskuhl. Jake's uncle. I got to be good friends with him off the board and he had a long battle with lung cancer. He died and a week later, I got a Jake signed ball in the mail from him with a nice note about how he always appreciated how I made him laugh during some hard times. Still have it in my office and it reminds me to not stress the little stuff so much.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Checking in as an 18 year veteran. Loved finding a place with like minded basketball nuts. It took a while to get patched in back then.

Living in Miami at the time I was thrilled one of my favorites, Caron Butler, was drafted by the Heat. Got to know him over the years at different events. Shared stories.

Veteran poster, Deepster, shared my enthusiasm. Created an animated cartoon video of me pleasuring myself at my keyboard with Caron dancing in the background. Good times. Find that in the wayback machine if you need a good laugh.

I was finally a member. Don’t take yourself too seriously here.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I think I was on this board back then but someone mentioned the AOL board and I was there too. My daughter was only a year old..but in college now!
Are you broke yet?

Reaction Score
I came for the basketball talk, stayed for Fishy’s odds and ends, rocks and wings, and the occasional throat punch.
Thank youTom, fishy, and everyone else who has been keeping the inmates around for 20 years!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes. Bucky was Jim Voskuhl. Jake's uncle. I got to be good friends with him off the board and he had a long battle with lung cancer. He died and a week later, I got a Jake signed ball in the mail from him with a nice note about how he always appreciated how I made him laugh during some hard times. Still have it in my office and it reminds me to not stress the little stuff so much.

Now I feel like crap for what I just posted. Great story.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Is that the one that Team AAAB, Iron Mike, Wayne, and I won? First time I ever played golf. (AAAB and Mike carried the team, and Wayne was solid. My contribution was bouncing a drive on the 18th hole off CinderellaJones son's chest, send it to the center of the fairway.)
Cinderella Jones. Good God.
I don’t recall you winning. I don’t recall anyone but Team Fishy prevailing.
Team Fishy: it’s a state of mind.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
IIRC, JeffG, whose mom for some reason was frequently the subject of especially lurid Profanity Friday rants, also passed away.

Last edited:

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes, now I recall Bucky. He was instrumental (with Cuz, as I recall) in getting the Swamette a signed basketball from Jake.

Reaction Score
Wow Tom ...20 years ago.

One of my proudest achievements in helping to start the boneyard 20 years ago. As I remember it
* Before the Boneyard, UCONN Fans were dependent on the Hartford Courant for the only place to post UCONN basketball comments.
* It was ok until the Courant made some changes and/or required some kind of registration/payment. I may be wrong about needing to pay, but the changes Courant made to the board were horrible and cumbersome to engage as I remember it.
* At the time my daughter was a UCONN cheerleader for the men’s team and I became a HUSKY fanatic. I was also working at an ad agency running the digital interactive ad department.
* Since we needed an alernative to thbe Courant bulletin board mess being offered, I was able to quickly get a UCONNFAN.COM site up using the makeshift Husky Hoops graphical treatment you see above and host it on the agency web hosting we had for our clients.
* This worked for awhile until the demands and audience for UCONNFAN.COM became too large and demanding and needed someone to increase web site hosting capabilities and someone with time to manage the daily needs for the site. This is when Tom Emery with others came in and thankfully took it from there.
* I’m not sure of the genesis of the Boneyard name. One of the guys at the agency may have come up with it on the spur of the moment with the bones graphical treatment. Not sure. Tom will confirm or correct.

So that’s story of how the Boneyard got started. I always found it remarkable how the Courant tried to shove unacceptable changes to it’s audience and the audience of fans came up with a better way. Kudos to everyone

I've been active for a very short period of time but I lurked for a long time (I'm guessing starting sometime around 2006).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you!

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
88D02A8A-CA3A-45BF-A2DB-81DB6AD33C94.jpeg
No ‘yard retrospective is complete without a mention of The Hangin’s....courtesy of Jurrrdge Deepster and me, his trusty hangman. (Image courtesy Hamster, graphics demon).

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Since I first found the boneyard, sometime in the early 2000s, it's the first thing I read in the morning. I almost stopped reading the boneyard two years ago because it was getting too depressing, just like too much of the news. But now it's positive again, a good way to start the day.

There's a jump of about a 1,000 online right around 9 am, then a drop off around lunch time.

Destroying worker productivity for 20 years.

Reaction Score
Been around since about '99, mainly lurking, post very infrequently (mainly on the women's board).
Was never at any BYC but did get a surplus shirt Fishy was selling off way back when -still have it :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_155108-COLLAGE.jpg
    IMG_20180804_155108-COLLAGE.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 25
Reaction Score
I don't recall when I signed up, but I am a life-long Huskies fan and have been lurking / infrequently posting probably since inception. Was also on the email list back in the day. I'm 35 now, so some of my earliest memories interacting with non-family / non-school "adults" (use that term loosely) were from these boards and the email list. I remember having to ask my dad what a "euphemism" was after an argument with some poster way back in the day.

Thanks for all the memories.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom