Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Checking in as an 18 year veteran. Loved finding a place with like minded basketball nuts. It took a while to get patched in back then.

Living in Miami at the time I was thrilled one of my favorites, Caron Butler, was drafted by the Heat. Got to know him over the years at different events. Shared stories.

Veteran poster, Deepster, shared my enthusiasm. Created an animated cartoon video of me pleasuring myself at my keyboard with Caron dancing in the background. Good times. Find that in the wayback machine if you need a good laugh.

I was finally a member. Don’t take yourself too seriously here.

Ever ask him about the yard?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes, the Courant’s UConn section was called Husky Hardcores. The comment board was the Husky Howl.

Why do I remember "vent" being part of their name at one point?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I still have the old boards saved on a hard drive I have in a drawer somewhere. If I ever get around to it, the first thing I'm going to restore is the 99 championship chat.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I still have the old boards saved on a hard drive I have in a drawer somewhere. If I ever get around to it, the first thing I'm going to restore is the 99 championship chat.
YES. That is imperative.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Considering the anniversary date and the importance of the event, I'm a bit disappointed we're not seeing a 30 for 30 on the Ocho.

Reaction Score
I've been active for a very short period of time but I lurked for a long time (I'm guessing starting sometime around 2006).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you!

FWIW I think the first time I saw something about the Boneyard was on a website called "Sox and Dawgs" or something like that.

Reaction Score
Morphed / diffused over from the old Hartford Current site. My father (since deceased) and I soaked in all the trials and tribs of the UConn community..

What happened to Dogfot?

Some 15 years ago, the BY had a weekly / monthly mailer / newsletter. I had problems getting it. I was in hospital for a heart proceedure (in December during season), and my wife took it upon herself to post to 'some guy named Fishy' about it. I received a shitload of newsletters almost the next day. Made the recovery period easier. Thanks again, Fishy.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I was strictly a McD's HuskiesHoops guy back then. I think that's how I found this place too.
Me too. I was originally raya, I might have tried doggeral as a handle for a week - (bad verse which is actually appropriate!) - then took up the drums and became Drumguy.

pj

Reaction Score
Wow Tom ...20 years ago.

One of my proudest achievements in helping to start the boneyard 20 years ago. As I remember it
* Before the Boneyard, UCONN Fans were dependent on the Hartford Courant for the only place to post UCONN basketball comments.
* It was ok until the Courant made some changes and/or required some kind of registration/payment. I may be wrong about needing to pay, but the changes Courant made to the board were horrible and cumbersome to engage as I remember it.
* At the time my daughter was a UCONN cheerleader for the men’s team and I became a HUSKY fanatic. I was also working at an ad agency running the digital interactive ad department.
* Since we needed an alernative to thbe Courant bulletin board mess being offered, I was able to quickly get a UCONNFAN.COM site up using the makeshift Husky Hoops graphical treatment you see above and host it on the agency web hosting we had for our clients.
* This worked for awhile until the demands and audience for UCONNFAN.COM became too large and demanding and needed someone to increase web site hosting capabilities and someone with time to manage the daily needs for the site. This is when Tom Emery with others came in and thankfully took it from there.
* I’m not sure of the genesis of the Boneyard name. One of the guys at the agency may have come up with it on the spur of the moment with the bones graphical treatment. Not sure. Tom will confirm or correct.

So that’s story of how the Boneyard got started. I always found it remarkable how the Courant tried to shove unacceptable changes to it’s audience and the audience of fans came up with a better way. Kudos to everyone

Don't remember who suggested the name Boneyard but I suggested the domain UConnfan.com, and someone replied a few minutes later saying he had reserved it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Morphed / diffused over from the old Hartford Current site. My father (since deceased) and I soaked in all the trials and tribs of the UConn community..

What happened to Dogfot?

Some 15 years ago, the BY had a weekly / monthly mailer / newsletter. I had problems getting it. I was in hospital for a heart proceedure (in December during season), and my wife took it upon herself to post to 'some guy named Fishy' about it. I received a shitload of newsletters almost the next day. Made the recovery period easier. Thanks again, Fishy.

I'm working on a digest addon that'll send an email digest of a day's or week's top posts to anyone interested. It should be done by the time the season starts.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
D690E5B7-7EE6-4BB0-BC28-17FDC1929992.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think I joined the summer after the 2011 Championship. I didn't go to UConn but I've lived in CT my whole life and was mostly just a huge fan of the Big East so this affiliation was natural. I'm also best friends with HFD. I never understood the full scope of his fandom until I joined the yard. I think he casually mentioned there was a fan site I should follow once he realized I was becoming more of a UConn fan. he made no mention that he was arguably the most notorious poster at the time. He got the boot and 7 years later here I am still posting. Funny how things work out.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nomar?
Nomar lived in Wallingford. I remember dropping off money for him at the Yalesville Post Office for the "Feast & Rout" when the yard won a fund raising auction for a whole section of the Civic Center for a game against a cupcake. For some reason, my memory says it was Brown, but it may have been Coppin State.
ISTR Justin Brown having an impressive put back slam, but there was very little bball watching and a whole lot of socializing
and face stuffing going on.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nomar lived in Wallingford. I remember dropping off money for him at the Yalesville Post Office for the "Feast & Rout" when the yard won a fund raising auction for a whole section of the Civic Center for a game against a cupcake. For some reason, my memory says it was Brown, but it may have been Coppin State.
ISTR Justin Brown having an impressive put back slam, but there was very little bball watching and a whole lot of socializing
and face stuffing going on.
That night was awesome. I remember you glued to the action out on the balcony and not socializing much. Definitely a cupcake for sure.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
That night was awesome. I remember you glued to the action out on the balcony and not socializing much. Definitely a cupcake for sure.
There was talk of doing it again the next year, but it fell through.

Reaction Score
Can't remember specifically when I joined, but I remember all the Uncle Phil talk during the Mike Jarvis years at St. John's, so it's gotta be at least early 2000's. I've always posted as billythekid, but have never been a prolific poster. I've really enjoyed The Boneyard over the years and here's to another twenty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom