Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boneyard 8/8/1998 to ...

Reaction Score
Holy cow...I remember DConn. Hated that guy.

Anyway, I stumbled in here November, 1998 as the swell was getting bigger for that eventual 77-74!!!!
Thanks Dove. Coming from a BCU fan that is high praise.

Edit: I had Rolling Stones tickets for the Hartford show the very night of the '99 NC game. Had seen them 20+/- times by then including Toad's in '89. I gave them away as no way I was missing that game and had tickets for the other night in Hartford as well.

Anyone here have that dilemma?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I came on when the servers were in Tom's garage. I was on for both Scout and Rivals incarnations. Used to post more sporadically on old the Courant comments thing.

Reaction Score
How the hell do you guys remember when you joined? I forgot what I had for lunch.

I started with the Courant UCONN board and somehow found my way over to here. Same name all the way.

Reaction Score
I found the Boneyard in 1997 after I moved out of Connecticut and was starved for Uconn basketball news. I remember watching the UConn v Gonzaga elite eight game in 1999 in a bar in Pocatello, Idaho. Needless to say, I was a cheering section of two - me and my husband - against the whole place.

Reaction Score
This is very cool. Thanks for sharing. I was mostly drunk watching wild animal snuff movies in the late 90s so I guess I missed the site. How I didn't find it until a few years ago is beyond me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think I was on this board back then but someone mentioned the AOL board and I was there too. My daughter was only a year old..but in college now!
You are the most memorable here from the AOL board. JKUL was there, and I think spent some time here as well.

Btw, I can remember disliking when The Boneyard stopped looking like the sample on display. I thought Scout couldn't help but represent a sell-out and was certain it was too fancy and wouldn't work as well. That means I probably didn't like TOS either when that switch was made. But over time, I have learned to trust, and just recently figured out the difference between attaching and uploading a file.

Reaction Score
Still here. Was DogPound then. Had to switch to DogPoundSR during the switch to Rivals. And cuz DogPound Jr started attending UConn.

Got my Boneyard hat and sweatshirt. Golf balls from the Boneyard Classic tourneys. Anyone else?

Reaction Score
Who is still here, under a different name. Check in.

Wayback Machine
Was “longtimefan” then. Had to change for new board, but have noticed that name in use within the last year or so by someone else. Too generic I guess.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm sure I was on the board at that time, but my name doesn't show up anywhere. I've always been jleves on the yard. I still remember my first interaction with @Fishy on a chat in 98 for the NCAA tournament.
fishy: Does anyone know when Miami tips?
jleves: just past 45 degrees.
fishy: huh?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm sure I was on the board at that time, but my name doesn't show up anywhere. I've always been jleves on the yard. I still remember my first interaction with @Fishy on a chat in 98 for the NCAA tournament.

My first interaction was posting a question. I was hammered for asking a stupid question, so I uploaded a script and forwarded the posters in question to a Duke site.

Ironically, I asked the stupid question because I was hammered at the time.

100% true.

Reaction Score
We are not a full fledged member until we get hammered. I thank the Boneyard for all the memories, the good, the bad and even the ugly. This is the perfect getaway from all the troubles and worries in life and I hope you guys continue for many years.

I was a lurker like many for years before joining and only wish this came about back in the sixties. Can you imagine the Boneyard reacting to Spider Hesford diving for a loose ball, crashing into a table and knocking over a drink and a typewriter. My goodness.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Happy Anniversary to BY! Joined in April 2015. I think I just stumbled across it surfing for Uconn men basketball articles. Truly an amazing site. All kinds of Uconn fans who share an absolute passion for Uconn BB and bring both the best of insights and senses of humor. Follow it almost daily and at times more than once a day. A great place to escape to as well. I knew I was home when someone posted this link:

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Great post from yesteryear. Good to see the names of the original core ‘yarders again.
Among my first posts was a pushback against Fishy’s incessant hot wings threat. In an appropriate response I established Rolling Rock as “The Sacreds”, i.e. the official Boneyard brew. The beer sucked but its mojo was irrepressible.
I’m old enough to remember the original UConn board, run by the Courant: the Husky Howl.
Glad to see SuzyQ hasn’t improved her spelling skills. ;-)

Last edited:

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
We are not a full fledged member until we get hammered. I thank the Boneyard for all the memories, the good, the bad and even the ugly. This is the perfect getaway from all the troubles and worries in life and I hope you guys continue for many years.

I was a lurker like many for years before joining and only wish this came about back in the sixties. Can you imagine the Boneyard reacting to Spider Hesford diving for a loose ball, crashing into a table and knocking over a drink and a typewriter. My goodness.
Oh, you were there. You’re a charter member.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Was it Bucky who died a few years ago?
Don’t remember Bucky. You might be thinking of Essex Ed, who shed his mortal coil several years ago. I suspect he never got over the time I nearly hit him with a Ginty shot at the second BYC.

Reaction Score
View attachment 33546

Check in, share a story, past usernames, etc.

May 1998: Wayback Machine

A bit of boneyard history.

Boneyard inception?

How did you first hear about the Boneyard?

20th Anniversary Commemorative t shirt TBA (Frank D'Angelo, send me an email. Yours in on the house):

Anyone here in the t-shirt printing business?
Wow Tom ...20 years ago.

One of my proudest achievements in helping to start the boneyard 20 years ago. As I remember it
* Before the Boneyard, UCONN Fans were dependent on the Hartford Courant for the only place to post UCONN basketball comments.
* It was ok until the Courant made some changes and/or required some kind of registration/payment. I may be wrong about needing to pay, but the changes Courant made to the board were horrible and cumbersome to engage as I remember it.
* At the time my daughter was a UCONN cheerleader for the men’s team and I became a HUSKY fanatic. I was also working at an ad agency running the digital interactive ad department.
* Since we needed an alernative to thbe Courant bulletin board mess being offered, I was able to quickly get a UCONNFAN.COM site up using the makeshift Husky Hoops graphical treatment you see above and host it on the agency web hosting we had for our clients.
* This worked for awhile until the demands and audience for UCONNFAN.COM became too large and demanding and needed someone to increase web site hosting capabilities and someone with time to manage the daily needs for the site. This is when Tom Emery with others came in and thankfully took it from there.
* I’m not sure of the genesis of the Boneyard name. One of the guys at the agency may have come up with it on the spur of the moment with the bones graphical treatment. Not sure. Tom will confirm or correct.

So that’s story of how the Boneyard got started. I always found it remarkable how the Courant tried to shove unacceptable changes to it’s audience and the audience of fans came up with a better way. Kudos to everyone

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I wish I had found the boneyard earlier - I think I first made an account around 2004.

In ‘98 I was seeking college b-ball discussion, but somehow didn’t stumble across The Boneyard. So I joined the CBS Sports college b-ball forums (which later spun off into an independent site called ‘The Fans’ Sports Board’). It was a mash-up of fans from a bunch of different programs, but I do remember nyhuskyfan (who seems to be mentioned in every post) occasionally popping up in that community.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I seriously just assumed he lived in Maui.
I'm going to keep thinking that - it's a much better image.
Mau, properly known as Brother Mau, was the A player on the BYC force of nature known as Team Fishy.
Team Fishy: it’s a state of mind.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wasn't here. Not sure exactly when I first joined, but I know it was when I lived in Quincy sometime between 8/99-10/01 under the screenname QuincyRich. Which didn't work when I moved to Pittsburgh in 2002. I think I missed one or two incarnations in the 00s. However, I distinctly remember taking a break after getting continually blasted and insulted here because I didn't believe the teams of the Gay/CharlieV era played with heart or chemistry. Some of y'all still won't admit that!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I joined in 2004 just before we won our 2nd Championship in 2004. I think that is how I found out I could get tickets to the final four through the school since I was an Alumni. Too bad I didn't know that in 1999 as it would have been a short ride from the ATL. That was my first UCONN final four out of 4 that I went to with my youngest brother. I joined when it was scout just before going to rivals and then to the current iteration. I have always had the same name and avatar. I have been a UCONN men's basketball fan since the mid to late 70's when I was a young kid.

I have used my site name(3rdbass or thirdbass) on all forums I go into including city-data Atlanta forum, resetera.com(video games), slickdeals (deals site) and all the dating sites I used before getting married LOL!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don’t remember Bucky. You might be thinking of Essex Ed, who shed his mortal coil several years ago. I suspect he never got over the time I nearly hit him with a Ginty shot at the second BYC.
Bucky is Jake V's uncle. Posted mostly on the baseball board. An all star on Profanity Friday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom