Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Speaking of correct spelling, here is a quick and dirty lesson in Spanish orthography.

Her name is pronounced Key NYOWN ace. The ñ is like the ny in canyon. Because her last name ends with a “z”, the next to last syllable, the penultimate, requires an acute accent: Blanca Quiñónez.

If it were to end with an “s”, it wouldn't need the accent, and the pronunciation would remain the same. That's because Spanish words ending in a vowel or the letters “n” and “s” have the penultimate syllable accented in speech. Words ending in consonants have the emphasis on the final syllable, unless another syllable has a written accent.

The article posted by @Zarathustra, and originally by @From Canada above, has it written correctly in the headline, but screws it up in the translated text.

“Blanca Quiñónez, la basquetbolista de Milagro que juega en Italia”

So, to answer @donalddoowop's question, her first name is
Blanca. Her last name, with two diacritics, is Quiñónez.

Feel free to copy and paste. ñ ó
I looked up the translation of "Blanquita" used in the article from "Primicias" (an Ecuadorean
"digital media outlet "). The best translation is (to my way of thinking) is " Little Blanca " i.e.
a diminutive form of Blanca.
One should be careful however to use the term as Blanca is no longer "Little" and there was
a note of a slang usage of the term in Ecuador, i.e.. "little white" meaning cocaine. The article also
refers to Blanca as "the Guayasian " which refers to her because she is from the city of
Milagro which is in the province/district/canton of Guayas (I think that I spelled that
correctly). Milagro is about 5 hours, 232 miles South Southwest of Quito. Blanca's next game in
Italy is on Sunday.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Both.

Plus a light-bulb finally clicked with him that a vast reservoir of international talent is uniquely available to him.
  • Geno and players who played for him at UConn are very well respected internationally and by US players that play FIBA basketball on international teams;
  • So, if Geno reciprocates interest in a presumably great international recruit — which U.S. recruiting services typically ignore — who want to be trained by the best, Geno has a great shot at getting them;
  • Gandy, Blanca, hopefully Lara, hopefully Olivia are arguably recent Geno recruiting predilections;
  • we should thank Morgan Valley for the focused recruiting work she has done;
  • we should also thank Nika, Lou, Aaliyah and Dorka for the recent deep impressions they left with Geno.
It takes a special player to appreciate being part of a deep roster that focuses on practice-driven development. Geno is finding enough recruits he really wants by also tapping internationally. (Hopefully, there will be no more reprise of departures from recent classes).
I think the main driver of the expanding roster is the transfer portal, with the secondary being the rash of injuries. I think every coach is aware of what a mess the transfer portal makes of their long term planning and has had to adapt. Geno also isn't likely to do a deep dive into the portal like some have - so far the transfers he has taken are grad transfers - Dorka was unusual in that she graduated in three years so he had her for two years.

As far as 25/26 classes - I suspect he has a good idea of who is leaving when and there may be more scholarships opening up. But two 4 player classes in a row would by necessity shrink following classes, if every one stays.

Reaction Score
I think the main driver of the expanding roster is the transfer portal, with the secondary being the rash of injuries. I think every coach is aware of what a mess the transfer portal makes of their long term planning and has had to adapt. Geno also isn't likely to do a deep dive into the portal like some have - so far the transfers he has taken are grad transfers - Dorka was unusual in that she graduated in three years so he had her for two years.

As far as 25/26 classes - I suspect he has a good idea of who is leaving when and there may be more scholarships opening up. But two 4 player classes in a row would by necessity shrink following classes, if every one stays.
True, the portal and NIL was the paradigm shift;
  • The plague and dipping in the international pool spurred Geno’s innovations in recruiting to deal with it.
I think the past few years’ plague revealed:
  • Geno’s previous roster limit (11-12), to avoid chemistry issues, is untenable;
  • Geno doesn’t much care for emergency portal shopping;
  • Geno would rather have earlier recruited a player for contingencies;
  • He would avoid chemistry issues by filling his roster with the player that he wants, when he wants such a player, and such a player who is really enthused with the four-year practice culture driven development program.
As Dawn is finding out, and Geno avoided being bitten, there will be down U.S. recruiting years for major programs;
  • 2025 could have been such a year with Geno;
  • but he got Gandy when he wanted an agile post at this time, when posts seem to gravitate to other programs;
  • Geno probably looked at 2025 and 2026 wings, decided he wants one wing in 2025, and had quality plans A, B, C, etc. until he got Blanca from the international pool;
  • Geno could have settled on Brynn McGaughy but he is holding out for Lara.
Having a deeper pool by proactively harnessing the international pool which he has unique access to, Geno is better able to deal with the portal/NIL — getting recruits he wants, when he wants them, who will be less likely to avail of the portal.

The portal is still available to him for non-emergency team-enhancing transfers that fit his program.

Reaction Score
Am really excited about Blanca whom Geno really wanted.
  • As many have opined, Blanca’s skills (other than 3 point shooting which she is working on) and attributes are remarkable;
  • She’s comparable to Jana to me in immediate team impact — a big fish in a small pond (Ecuador’s national teams) who then played in a European professional league where she learned fundamental physical basketball for her base development playing with more advanced players;
  • A poster remarked that Agot Makeer has poor fundamentals, which shouldn’t be the case for Blanca.
Doggedly pursuing a wing (Blanca) and a forward (Lara) this year — both of whom he seemingly really wants — is a window into his seeming preference for developing recruits rather than relying on the portal.

There are three remaining slots for all of 2025 (recruits and transfers) and 2026 recruits:
  • Geno seems to really want Olivia Vukosa for 2026;
  • Geno hasn’t had a 1-player class in a while;
  • this seems to point to him pursuing at least a 2-player 2026 class, say with Jerzy Robinson, a versatile scoring point guard;
  • one 2025 slot seems reserved for Lara Somfai (whom he visited at their school with Kellis) if she wants it;
  • I doubt, given what he currently has and what he wants for 2026, that he will pursue a generic 2025 transfer;
  • Geno seems to be increasingly comfortable with 13-15 player rosters. And his practice-driven development culture and usual type of recruits with goals on making it the next level, make it work.
Who said Agot has poor fundamentals? I don't see how a top 5 player in her class that's a Wing can have poor fundamentals. For me Agot is now the next priority then followed by Somfai. OFC would like both. UCONN has Jana, Ice, Ayanna, Gandy and Sarah in the forntcourt for next season excluding possiblities of smaller "PF's." Right now UCONN would have 3 Centers ahead of Somfai for next season. And frankly, next season over 90% if not 95% or more Sarah can play center after she gets one year under her belt. Blanca looks scary good at a variety of spots. Morgan is also scary good and can probably play a smaller PF.

As we saw with Iowa beating SOCar once and giving them trouble the 2nd time, UONN has more talent than what they had for this year and the next few..

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Milagro is about 5 hours, 232 miles South Southwest of Quito
Correct. It's also just a bit over 20 miles from Guayaquil,the biggest city in Ecuador.

IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2362.jpeg

Reaction Score
Who said Agot has poor fundamentals? I don't see how a top 5 player in her class that's a Wing can have poor fundamentals. For me Agot is now the next priority then followed by Somfai. OFC would like both. UCONN has Jana, Ice, Ayanna, Gandy and Sarah in the forntcourt for next season excluding possiblities of smaller "PF's." Right now UCONN would have 3 Centers ahead of Somfai for next season. And frankly, next season over 90% if not 95% or more Sarah can play center after she gets one year under her belt. Blanca looks scary good at a variety of spots. Morgan is also scary good and can probably play a smaller PF.

As we saw with Iowa beating SOCar once and giving them trouble the 2nd time, UONN has more talent than what they had for this year and the next few..
I have to disagree! Somfai is definitely a higher priority than Agot! We have a surfeit of 6’1”& 6’2” players! Somfai at 6’4” is the more important recruit, especially in light of Blanca’s committment!

Reaction Score
Right now UCONN would have 3 Centers ahead of Somfai for next season. And frankly, next season over 90% if not 95% or more Sarah can play center after she gets one year under her belt. Blanca looks scary good at a variety of spots. Morgan is also scary good and can probably play a smaller PF.
I’m with @Cuango on this. Geno does not have 3 centers ahead of Lara for next season. We have 1 center and one very promising ‘project’ at center in Gandy. Don’t get me wrong, I have very high hopes for Gandy and think she can become a dominant center by her junior year. If Lara commits, she’ll probably be ahead of Gandy on the depth chart, so to speak. I expect Geno will occasionally play a twin towers lineup too, rotating all three in that role. Lara and Gandy will be a formidable pair in their senior season, probably the best frontcourt in D1. And the Big O will be right behind them, if all goes well.

What Geno will also have is a bunch of power forwards in Ice Ayanna and Sarah, and a fleet of small forwards (or wings?) in Blanca, Q, Allie, Morgan, maybe Caroline too. This looks like the most crowded position for next season.

I think this definitely puts Lara higher on the wishlist than Agot.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

The attribution of the statement on Agot is a hyperlink.

Whether Geno prefers Agot vs Lara at this point, I think he prefers Lara.
  • Sarah says Geno can place her wherever she wants, but it seems she prefers to be a 3/4 for the pros;
  • With Agot, Sarah may be used more as a 4; the same with Ice;
  • With Lara, Sarah and Ice can take turns with varying percentages at the 3 and the 4 with Morgan and Blanca;
  • The 3/4/5 will be a particular UConn strength; it seems we may be witnessing what it looks like to add South Carolina’s strength to UConn’s beautiful basketball.

Reaction Score
I’m with @Cuango on this. Geno does not have 3 centers ahead of Lara for next season. We have 1 center and one very promising ‘project’ at center in Gandy. Don’t get me wrong, I have very high hopes for Gandy and think she can become a dominant center by her junior year. If Lara commits, she’ll probably be ahead of Gandy on the depth chart, so to speak. I expect Geno will occasionally play a twin towers lineup too, rotating all three in that role. Lara and Gandy will be a formidable pair in their senior season, probably the best frontcourt in D1. And the Big O will be right behind them, if all goes well.

What Geno will also have is a bunch of power forwards in Ice Ayanna and Sarah, and a fleet of small forwards (or wings?) in Blanca, Q, Allie, Morgan, maybe Caroline too. This looks like the most crowded position for next season.

I think this definitely puts Lara higher on the wishlist than Agot.

I agree but wanted to make one additional point. Gandy and Somfai have totally different traits. To that extent they can be complimentary.
Gandy with defense and rebounding, perhaps a Kia Stokes type, and Somfai with a versatile offensive skill set. depending on game needs Geno could go either way.

But that is looking at both as C's, which is appropriate for Gandy, but Somfai may be more 4 than 5, with some possibility at the 3, which could be true of Sarah as well. Right now I would consider Somfai ahead of Gandy, Ice, and Ayanna. A higher rated recruit than Gandy, and ahead of the other two because at least thus far, they have under-performed their HS rankings.

I thought we only needed one wing from Davidson, Makeer and Prawl, and I didn't know about Blanca, but I think she now feels that need. At this point the question marks upfront are still greater IMO. Plenty of talented players big and small, but pretty much no proven upfront talent except for Aubrey at the 4 when she returns. Do I think both Jana and Sarah will be the real deal? Yes! but with Gandy, Ice and Ayanna I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
True, the portal and NIL was the paradigm shift;
  • The plague and dipping in the international pool spurred Geno’s innovations in recruiting to deal with it.
I think the past few years’ plague revealed:
  • Geno’s previous roster limit (11-12), to avoid chemistry issues, is untenable;
  • Geno doesn’t much care for emergency portal shopping;
  • Geno would rather have earlier recruited a player for contingencies;
  • He would avoid chemistry issues by filling his roster with the player that he wants, when he wants such a player, and such a player who is really enthused with the four-year practice culture driven development program.
As Dawn is finding out, and Geno avoided being bitten, there will be down U.S. recruiting years for major programs;
  • 2025 could have been such a year with Geno;
  • but he got Gandy when he wanted an agile post at this time, when posts seem to gravitate to other programs;
  • Geno probably looked at 2025 and 2026 wings, decided he wants one wing in 2025, and had quality plans A, B, C, etc. until he got Blanca from the international pool;
  • Geno could have settled on Brynn McGaughy but he is holding out for Lara.
Having a deeper pool by proactively harnessing the international pool which he has unique access to, Geno is better able to deal with the portal/NIL — getting recruits he wants, when he wants them, who will be less likely to avail of the portal.

The portal is still available to him for non-emergency team-enhancing transfers that fit his program.
I don't believe there's been any holding out for Somfai. Along with their size, both kids were recruited and had offers at the same time for their versatility and their F/W skills and shooting ability. McGaughy made her own decision to stay home but had she wanted in, I believe Auriemma would have been pleased to take them both. I think McGaughy's decision coupled with Taliyah Henderson also declining his subsequent summer offer raised the priority level to go after Quinonez. I do think that Quinonez is better than any of the pure wings that were available in the 2025 US class other than possibly Davidson.

Reaction Score
The attribution of the statement on Agot is a hyperlink.

Whether Geno prefers Agot vs Lara at this point, I think he prefers Lara.
  • Sarah says Geno can place her wherever she wants, but it seems she prefers to be a 3/4 for the pros;
  • With Agot, Sarah may be used more as a 4; the same with Ice;
  • With Lara, Sarah and Ice can take turns with varying percentages at the 3 and the 4 with Morgan and Blanca;
  • The 3/4/5 will be a particular UConn strength; it seems we may be witnessing what it looks like to add South Carolina’s strength to UConn’s beautiful basketball.
Where is the hyperlink? In regard to fundamentals also note Dailey once said, "We don’t want to have to worry about matching up to other teams, we want to force them to match up to us." Moriah Jefferson was moslty recruited because she was "fast" that's what the staff told Geno about her. Agot with Blanca and KK - and Kelis and Q - there is a development of "fast." While Agot can have deficiencies in some fundamentals I highly doubt it's poor for a #4 ranked recruit. Thus her elite athletcism would/could overcome that. I'm guessing that's why she's rated 4th. Her fundamentals probably aren't "poor."

Looks like I'm in a minority here. :)With respect to all that disagree with me - and the excellent I and I mean excellent posters that do disagree with me--on this thread (you are excellent Cuango and Bonedog as are you are Nyc :)) (I thought it best to reply to the last post made to me by you rather than individually post to all 3.) - imo height is extremely overrated. Iowa beat SoCar once and played them pretty close this past year. Who were Iowa's "Centers" during these times? How tall were they and how tall in comparison vs their opponent?)? If they were able to compete (and win) with such smaller lineups at the Center position then there is no way UCONN can't win with their group of 3+ Bigs. UCONN has three that should be very capable of defending the post with another year .

Geno might prefer Somfai I don't know. But Geno also loves to play small and play fast. He loves to run. He doesn't want to play slow-ball. To further this, If UCONN gets Agot added with Blanca and with all the posts and guards UCONN has - then all the talk of pressing and/or variation of ball pressure etc is highlighted with freak athletes UCONN would have with Blanca and Agot. **I do understand that with his offers in 2026 to smaller plays in the 6 foot range" that it sems he could be fine with a preference of a Big because the 2026 6'0 players are also terrific. So maybe they can be content in terms of preference because they have "enough." . But with that said, that’s why I'm saying UCNN already has enough Bigs too. So instead they could just look to get the better player rather than be so focused on height. Agot looks like a freak athlete. Maybe she isn't I don't know. But she looks terrific. Anyhow, in Geno I trust. :)

As far as Sarah wishing to play, her favorite player was Maya Moore. Other than her frosh year in which she was mostly the SF and under duress her sr year when Stef got into foul trouble, Maya was UCONN's PF yet she played the same style she did in the WNBA in which she was predominantly the SF. IMo there is no reason to believe that Sarah can't be a PF on Offense and Defense and play the game like a Stretch 4 but also be a hammer in the paint. Thus her game easily would transition to the WNBA without UCONN having to force themselves to play "Big" if the talent is more with the smaller Wings/Guards. In addition, UCONN has had stars play in different positions in College than in the pros. Gabby is more a guard now. Swin Cash was inside but in WNBA at her peak was a big-time slasher. And late in her career she had a 3pt shot. Morgan Tuck played a lot on the inside and guarded more of the bulkier centers; she wasn’t going to do that in the pros.

As for the lineups, why go "Big" with Sarah at the SF with Lara and Ice as the PF (assume Jana is the Center) next year if the Guards and Wings are better, and just keep Sarah at the 4? (This all assumes ofc Sarah is terrific). WHo knows at this point. Just fun discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where is the hyperlink? In regard to fundamentals also note Dailey once said, "We don’t want to have to worry about matching up to other teams, we want to force them to match up to us." Moriah Jefferson was moslty recruited because she was "fast" that's what the staff told Geno about her. Agot with Blanca and KK - and Kelis and Q - there is a development of "fast." While Agot can have deficiencies in some fundamentals I highly doubt it's poor for a #4 ranked recruit. Thus her elite athletcism would/could overcome that. I'm guessing that's why she's rated 4th. Her fundamentals probably aren't "poor."

Looks like I'm in a minority here. :)With respect to all that disagree with me - and the excellent I and I mean excellent posters that do disagree with me--on this thread (you are excellent Cuango and Bonedog as are you are Nyc :)) (I thought it best to reply to the last post made to me by you rather than individually post to all 3.) - imo height is extremely overrated. Iowa beat SoCar once and played them pretty close this past year. Who were Iowa's "Centers" during these times? How tall were they and how tall in comparison vs their opponent?)? If they were able to compete (and win) with such smaller lineups at the Center position then there is no way UCONN can't win with their group of 3+ Bigs. UCONN has three that should be very capable of defending the post with another year .

Geno might prefer Somfai I don't know. But Geno also loves to play small and play fast. He loves to run. He doesn't want to play slow-ball. To further this, If UCONN gets Agot added with Blanca and with all the posts and guards UCONN has - then all the talk of pressing and/or variation of ball pressure etc is highlighted with freak athletes UCONN would have with Blanca and Agot. **I do understand that with his offers in 2026 to smaller plays in the 6 foot range" that it sems he could be fine with a preference of a Big because the 2026 6'0 players are also terrific. So maybe they can be content in terms of preference because they have "enough." . But with that said, that’s why I'm saying UCNN already has enough Bigs too. So instead they could just look to get the better player rather than be so focused on height. Agot looks like a freak athlete. Maybe she isn't I don't know. But she looks terrific. Anyhow, in Geno I trust. :)

As far as Sarah wishing to play, her favorite player was Maya Moore. Other than her frosh year in which she was mostly the SF and under duress her sr year when Stef got into foul trouble, Maya was UCONN's PF yet she played the same style she did in the WNBA in which she was predominantly the SF. IMo there is no reason to believe that Sarah can't be a PF on Offense and Defense and play the game like a Stretch 4 but also be a hammer in the paint. Thus her game easily would transition to the WNBA without UCONN having to force themselves to play "Big" if the talent is more with the smaller Wings/Guards. In addition, UCONN has had stars play in different positions in College than in the pros. Gabby is more a guard now. Swin Cash was inside but in WNBA at her peak was a big-time slasher. And late in her career she had a 3pt shot. Morgan Tuck played a lot on the inside and guarded more of the bulkier centers; she wasn’t going to do that in the pros.

As for the lineups, why go "Big" with Sarah at the SF with Lara and Ice as the PF (assume Jana is the Center) next year if the Guards and Wings are better, and just keep Sarah at the 4? (This all assumes ofc Sarah is terrific). WHo knows at this point. Just fun discussion.
The attribution was contained in this bullet — the word “remarked” is a hyperlink.
  • A poster remarked that Agot Makeer has poor fundamentals, which shouldn’t be the case for Blanca.
Your rationale for Agot is reasonable. And Geno does still have offers to both Agot and Lara.

===

Yeah, I marvel at the different ways you, Bonedog, Oldude and others (including on the General Board) articulate your thoughts. It made the wait for this season, which I am probably anticipating more than many other seasons, bearable. :)

As to height, I agree with you. I did a post on how UConn teams can win while losing the rebounding battle.
  • of course, it would be easier with the depth that UConn seems to be amassing with players that can play at the 3/4/5;
  • Geno has the collection of players that it is easy to see him making (more) use of specialist lineups such as a shooting lineup, a big lineup, a disruptive defensive lineup;
  • in contrast to other years where Geno has a starting lineup and rotations that yielded a lineup that played functionally the same way as the starting lineup, Geno’s many available lineups offer him not just a competitive weapon, but also a savvy way to utilize his many players;
  • Geno’s schemes and methods do prepare his players to be forever students of basketball; players are better prepared in their entry to the pros and for evolving their play in the pros.

Reaction Score
Diana's championship teams were not huge. Neither were Maya's. The good runs Iowa had the last two season had a similar structure -- very stable lineups, good defense, no super-bigs, and one great guard who could cary the team. [Don't fuss at me about whether Maya or Diana were guards. They certainly weren't centers or power forwards.] The Gabby-Katie Lou-Phee teams seem like the epitome of the small ball philosophy. Even though they didn't win an NC, they were dominating teams, and they did it through speed, crisp passing, and fierce defense.

The coming seasons will show us a different style of dominance, the sort we saw with Stewie's teams, power and speed and precise execution. But unlike those teams, Geno will have a cadre of speedy medium-bigs like Morgan, Blanca, Q, and another cadre of perimeter shooters in Ash, Allie and Sarah, and speedy PGs in KK and Kelis. And his bigs -- Jana, Ice, Ayanna, Sarah -- may not be as skilled or as quick as Stewie [we'll have to wait and see], they will be fleet of foot compared to the general run of D1.

There is definitely room for Agot in this vision of the future, as there is for Lara, too. Neither of them is necessary for Geno to have a shot at another NC, but either of them would be wonderful to watch fit into his system. I just like the idea that Geno show us yet another way to build a championship team.

And in case anyone wonders, from the clips I've seen, Blanca looks to be at least as quick as Agot, quite a bit stronger, and a better finisher at the rim.

Reaction Score
Do we know that Agot and Somfai are the only two hanging out there with 2025 offers? Any others?

Reaction Score
I agree but wanted to make one additional point. Gandy and Somfai have totally different traits. To that extent they can be complimentary.
Gandy with defense and rebounding, perhaps a Kia Stokes type, and Somfai with a versatile offensive skill set. depending on game needs Geno could go either way.

But that is looking at both as C's, which is appropriate for Gandy, but Somfai may be more 4 than 5, with some possibility at the 3, which could be true of Sarah as well. Right now I would consider Somfai ahead of Gandy, Ice, and Ayanna. A higher rated recruit than Gandy, and ahead of the other two because at least thus far, they have under-performed their HS rankings.

I thought we only needed one wing from Davidson, Makeer and Prawl, and I didn't know about Blanca, but I think she now feels that need. At this point the question marks upfront are still greater IMO. Plenty of talented players big and small, but pretty much no proven upfront talent except for Aubrey at the 4 when she returns. Do I think both Jana and Sarah will be the real deal? Yes! but with Gandy, Ice and Ayanna I am not so sure.
I would agree she (Somfai) is definitely ahead of Gandy & Yanna. I’m not so sure about Ice. I think we are all going to be (pleasantly) surprised with Ice’s play this season. I’d have to say that Ice is a better player (especially with the experience she got last season) than Somfai. Will that always be the case? I think so, but Somfai certainly has the tools to be a very good player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom