Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Wow to some of the naysayers. I've seen video and I've read online that she's actually WNBA ready, so she seems like a good get.
I am guessing the problem has something to do with foreign players not going through the rating system or being regularly seen by the "prospect evaluators" so there isn't the same level of comfort.

Nika Muhl and Kia Nurse were two other players that received a fair share of skepticism by some. Those worked out okay, because it turns out that Geno is an okay talent evaluator.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes! Sara Scalia scored 18 points for Magnolia La Molisana, Campobasso in their 73 to 45
point victory over Sassari. Bianca had five points. On one of the Campobasso rosters Bianca was
listed as " Quinonez Mina Bianca Francheska"!! quite the mouthful. The HOME TEAM is 1-0 and
is tied with "Schio" for first place. To again emphasis the competition that Bianca will be
playing against the "SCHIO" team has a player, # 3 on their roster, by the name of Marina Mabrey!!!
and another player by the name of Rhyne Howard!!! How about that for competition??!!
Is her name Bianca or Blanca? We need to spell the name of UConn recruits correctly. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Where did you read she is WNBA ready? I missed that.
I saw this reference in the article written by Gabreilla Lewis in "THE NEXT".
It was buried deep in the article and was a comment made by the
Coach of Blanca's "RED TEAM". The coach was Betty Lennox who
was the 2000? WNBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and a many years player in
the WNBA. Part of Coach Lennox's statement was ( I believe ): " The overall tournament's
standout player is 15 year old Blanca Quinones, 6' 3". etc. etc." You can GOOGLE
the article yourself and read the comments for more clarification: google: "The World's
Best Prospects take on the NBA ACADEMY". You may also have to add: "THE NEXT"
or Gabreilla Lewis's name to the search. I think the actual statement, to my
memory, was that Ms. Quinonez would succeed in the WNBA, maybe not
exactly that she is now "ready" for the WNBA. Note the article was incorrect
stating the Ms. Quinonez was 15 years old. She is now 18 years old and was
17 at the time of the 2024 Women's Academy Game(s) in Atlanta Georgia on
July 10 - 16 ? , 2024 at HOLY INNOCENT'S EPISCOPAL SCHOOL in Atlanta.
Also, as previously noted on the BONEYARD, Ms. Quinones is rated by FIBA as 6'0" (2022 data),
and by her Magnolia La Molisana WBB team as just over 6 ' 1" (186 cm) (2024 data).
Blanca's Ecuadorian team was in the FIBA SOUTH AMERICAN WOMEN's Championship
in August 2022 which was won by Brazil. The Brazilian team included such players
as Kamilla Cardoso of the Gamecocks and Stephanie Soares of Iowa State. Blanca did
not play in all the tournament games. The league in which Blanca is now playing
has Sara Scalia, formerly of Indiana U, on her team and players like Marina Mabrey and
Rhyne Howard on SCHIO team roster, another team in the league.
The sponsoring company for the Magnolia La Molisana WBB team is a pasta
company. The town is about 150 miles southeast of ROME (should you plan a visit
to see her play!). The company sponsor multiple WBB teams in various league play:
Blanca was on their "A1 / youth" team in 2020-2021 and on their A1 Euro cup team in
2021-2022 and on their A1 Italian Cup team during 2022-2023. These teams and tournaments were NOT
of the same caliber of the team that she is now on. It would be misleading to say that
she has been playing against WNBA and European professionals for the whole 3 + years that she has been
affiliated with the Campobasso town WBB squads. Sorry about the long answer. There
are many possible areas for potential misinterpretation and misinformation. In
brief, IMHO, UCONN is very fortunate to have Blanca Francheska Quinones! GO
UCONN!!! WELCOME Blanca!

Reaction Score
Is her name Bianca or Blanca? We need to spell the name of UConn recruits correctly. Just saying.
The web page for her team in Italy has her roster name as: "Blanca Francheska Quinones" on
the photo of her on one ROSTER page. She is listed as: "Blanca Francheska Quinones, mina"
on another roster listing. I suspect the "mina" means that she is playing as a "minor" ?? or some
reference that she is not playing as a "paid professional" but a member of some sort of
developmental program that is popular for many young international teens. Does anyone one
on the BONEYARD know the exact meaning of " mina"?

Reaction Score
Do you think this is a result of his recent experience with injuries, or maybe a general sense of the instability brought by the portal and NIL? I mean given his commitment to a disciplined development culture based on demanding practices — wow, that’s a lot of consonance — he may figure it’s worth accounting for a new reality in the way he recruits.
Both.

Plus a light-bulb finally clicked with him that a vast reservoir of international talent is uniquely available to him.
  • Geno and players who played for him at UConn are very well respected internationally and by US players that play FIBA basketball on international teams;
  • So, if Geno reciprocates interest in a presumably great international recruit — which U.S. recruiting services typically ignore — who want to be trained by the best, Geno has a great shot at getting them;
  • Gandy, Blanca, hopefully Lara, hopefully Olivia are arguably recent Geno recruiting predilections;
  • we should thank Morgan Valley for the focused recruiting work she has done;
  • we should also thank Nika, Lou, Aaliyah and Dorka for the recent deep impressions they left with Geno.
It takes a special player to appreciate being part of a deep roster that focuses on practice-driven development. Geno is finding enough recruits he really wants by also tapping internationally. (Hopefully, there will be no more reprise of departures from recent classes).

Reaction Score
I saw this reference in the article written by Gabreilla Lewis in "THE NEXT".
It was buried deep in the article and was a comment made by the
Coach of Blanca's "RED TEAM". The coach was Betty Lennox who
was the 2000? WNBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and a many years player in
the WNBA. Part of Coach Lennox's statement was ( I believe ): " The overall tournament's
standout player is 15 year old Blanca Quinones, 6' 3". etc. etc." You can GOOGLE
the article yourself and read the comments for more clarification: google: "The World's
Best Prospects take on the NBA ACADEMY". You may also have to add: "THE NEXT"
or Gabreilla Lewis's name to the search. I think the actual statement, to my
memory, was that Ms. Quinonez would succeed in the WNBA, maybe not
exactly that she is now "ready" for the WNBA. Note the article was incorrect
stating the Ms. Quinonez was 15 years old. She is now 18 years old and was
17 at the time of the 2024 Women's Academy Game(s) in Atlanta Georgia on
July 10 - 16 ? , 2024 at HOLY INNOCENT'S EPISCOPAL SCHOOL in Atlanta.
Also, as previously noted on the BONEYARD, Ms. Quinones is rated by FIBA as 6'0" (2022 data),
and by her Magnolia La Molisana WBB team as just over 6 ' 1" (186 cm) (2024 data).
Blanca's Ecuadorian team was in the FIBA SOUTH AMERICAN WOMEN's Championship
in August 2022 which was won by Brazil. The Brazilian team included such players
as Kamilla Cardoso of the Gamecocks and Stephanie Soares of Iowa State. Blanca did
not play in all the tournament games. The league in which Blanca is now playing
has Sara Scalia, formerly of Indiana U, on her team and players like Marina Mabrey and
Rhyne Howard on SCHIO team roster, another team in the league.
The sponsoring company for the Magnolia La Molisana WBB team is a pasta
company. The town is about 150 miles southeast of ROME (should you plan a visit
to see her play!). The company sponsor multiple WBB teams in various league play:
Blanca was on their "A1 / youth" team in 2020-2021 and on their A1 Euro cup team in
2021-2022 and on their A1 Italian Cup team during 2022-2023. These teams and tournaments were NOT
of the same caliber of the team that she is now on. It would be misleading to say that
she has been playing against WNBA and European professionals for the whole 3 + years that she has been
affiliated with the Campobasso town WBB squads. Sorry about the long answer. There
are many possible areas for potential misinterpretation and misinformation. In
brief, IMHO, UCONN is very fortunate to have Blanca Francheska Quinones! GO
UCONN!!! WELCOME Blanca!
I believe she moved to Italy to play basketball when she was only 13 years old so I'd like to think she will handle the transition to UConn fairly easily........

Reaction Score
Is her name Bianca or Blanca?
In Ecuador, Blanca with an L is a common name. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Italians read that name as Bianca which is also a common Spanish name. My daughter’s besty in HS was named Bianca Perez

Plus a light-bulb finally clicked with him that a vast reservoir of international talent is uniquely available to him.
Don’t forget Svet and a few others

Reaction Score
In Ecuador, Blanca with an L is a common name. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Italians read that name as Bianca which is also a common Spanish name. My daughter’s besty in HS was named Bianca Perez

Don’t forget Svet and a few others
Svet might have traumatized Geno. :eek:

Reaction Score
There is a comparison to Tamika Catchings
Man...this is a bowlful of optimism. Like Maya? Like Tamika? But Geno did go visit her in Italy ( who would turn that down?). We shall see. Looks like an unusual class ..2025. Go huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom