Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
A link to her stats in her first 8 games. Keep in mind that this is a pro team with most players well into their 20's. One player was a SEC DPOY and there's someone named Mabrey on the team.
OT a little bit here, but it is absolutely amazing to me the transformation of the NCAA policies. There was a story from years back, about a University of Colorado student athlete who had his scholarship revoked and was no longer allowed to play for the football team (kicker maybe), because he was deemed to be a professional skier! Giant slalom maybe, possibly the Downhill, I don't know for certain, and it doesn't real matter for the point here. It was not the same sport, yet he was still a professional athlete, and as such was not eligible to participate in any NCAA Sport because he had lost his amateur status.

In contrast, next August when she starts school at UConn, Blanca will be 19-yrs old, and will have played five years in a professional basketball league? I'm all in favor of UConn getting the best players available, but oh my, have things sure changed! Lebron James didn't play in college at all; does he still have four years of eligibility once he decides to retire from the NBA?

sun

Reaction Score
I saw something about Blanca having tendonitis affecting her knee 2 years ago.
Hopefully it's not chronic.

Reaction Score
OT a little bit here, but it is absolutely amazing to me the transformation of the NCAA policies. There was a story from years back, about a University of Colorado student athlete who had his scholarship revoked and was no longer allowed to play for the football team (kicker maybe), because he was deemed to be a professional skier! Giant slalom maybe, possibly the Downhill, I don't know for certain, and it doesn't real matter for the point here. It was not the same sport, yet he was still a professional athlete, and as such was not eligible to participate in any NCAA Sport because he had lost his amateur status.

In contrast, next August when she starts school at UConn, Blanca will be 19-yrs old, and will have played five years in a professional basketball league? I'm all in favor of UConn getting the best players available, but oh my, have things sure changed! Lebron James didn't play in college at all; does he still have four years of eligibility once he decides to retire from the NBA?
Two different situations. Quinones, like most all of the younger players, doesn't get paid a salary to play. She plays for the somewhat advanced competition and only receives a living stipend similar to a scholarship in the US. She still has amateur status. James immediately became a pro with his first paycheck from Cleveland so he has no amateur status.

Reaction Score
I would say that is common for foreign players since our highschool system of having extracurricular things like sports is not universal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom