Big 12 Meetings | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
couldnt disagree more. we have a 32 team league. its called the nfl. that model simply wont work on the collegiate level. for one, the national interest won't be there. two, the anti-trust laws will go through the roof. third, these 32 schools would surely lose their non profit status. fourth, they will undoubtedly have to pay the players. the ncaa and the elite football schools will still need the bottom feeders to some extent.

Agreed, but I think we all worry that many forces will conspire to test the limits of the non profit status and league narrowness.

Reaction Score
Latest Rumor (FWIW): TCU finally got pissed at Texas after Texas starting playing around that UH is its expansion pick (which we all know is just a BS negotiating tactic). Apparently, TCU does NOT want UH.

So, TCU has told UT to go pound sand, and they are now voting in favor of expansion. Count is now 8-2 in favor of expansion.

No consensus yet on the candidates.

Reaction Score
Latest Rumor (FWIW): TCU finally got pissed at Texas after Texas starting playing around that UH is its expansion pick (which we all know is just a BS negotiating tactic). Apparently, TCU does NOT want UH.

So, TCU has told UT to go pound sand, and they are now voting in favor of expansion. Count is now 8-2 in favor of expansion.

Where did you see that? Totally plausible.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Link for the press conference starting 5 PM (CST so 6 PM EST... I think)

Big 12 Annual Meetings Press Conference - Big12Sports.com

Sounds like they have a Sirius station or something playing indie/songwriter/americana type stuff before the presser... weird. There was a pause for a second and I heard some reporters chatting about BYU, but I didn't hear anything noteworthy...

Reaction Score
Where did you see that? Totally plausible.

It was told to me - that's all I'm saying. Like I said, it's a rumor so take it FWIW.

Also, TCU doesn't seem to have a firm strategy here, so how confident can you really be that they'll stick to their guns?

At the very least, it should take some of the bluster out of UT's sails, at least temporarily. (Last comment is my opinion only.)

Reaction Score

And just like that, UT changed its tune from "we support expansion with Houston" to "Nah, we're good as - is".

Now we have to see if TCU continues to support expansion, or if it falls back in line with UT, now that UT has backed off Houston.

Without TCU, there aren't enough votes for expansion.

Reaction Score
highly doubtful unless someone at UConn told him they were doomed.

but piece seems a bit misplaced? Is Jacobs even at the B12 meetings? lol

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been shared before. Maybe I'm reading too much into things but what is Jacobs doing? Is he TRYING to piss off the Big 12?
Big 12 Expansion? More Like An Implosion
It's his usual grandstanding. He was so in love with his "joke" he tweeted out yesterday that he quoted himself in his column. Honestly, media from Memphis, Cincy, and if any from CT attending the Big 12 meetings just look desperate and pathetic. The conference couldn't be more clear beforehand that there wouldn't be any expansion decisions made this week, yet they are all there whining about the proceedings.

Reaction Score
highly doubtful unless someone at UConn told him they were doomed.

but piece seems a bit misplaced? Is Jacobs even at the B12 meetings? lol
Jacobs isn't at the meetings. I don't think anyone from Connecticut is. He watched the press conference online.

Reaction Score
And just like that, UT changed its tune from "we support expansion with Houston" to "Nah, we're good as - is".

Now we have to see if TCU continues to support expansion, or if it falls back in line with UT, now that UT has backed off Houston.

Without TCU, there aren't enough votes for expansion.

The idea that Texas supported Houston in the first place was simply conjecture built up by folks inferring that big money donor Red McComb's opinion was shared by others at Texas.

Mike Perrin, the AD, certainly doesn't share the opinion, but keep in mind he doesn't even have a vote. The only one who does is Greg Fenves and he hasn't said much of what he thinks about anything.

Folks are just so hungry for info they're making stuff up and it's being parroted as the truth. It's tempting to follow the path of least resistance and buy into it.

Resist the temptation.

College presidents are weird people. They don't think like us or sports writers or even ADs. For all we know they'll make their decisions on the basis of some Dostoyevsky quote they remember.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Good grief. What's next? Is the Big 12 going to invite UConn and Cincinnati as part of expansion only to go, "Whoops! Our bad. We meant to invite BYU and Memphis."
Rule #1 and:
readImage

(I have a feeling this joke is going to get run into the ground... again...)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dont mind me, just doing a little doodling.

New Big12

NorthEast Div -
1) Oklahoma
2) Kansas
3) Iowa State
4) WV
5) Uconn
6) Cincy
7) UCF

SouthWest - Div
8) Texas
9) Ok State
10) Texas Tech
11) Kansas State
12) TCU
13) Baylor
14) BYU

Format: 6 in division games, 1 annual rivalry game across divisions, 2 rotating game across divisions, 3 non conf games.

Or
Tradition
1) Texas
2) Oklahoma
3) Kansas
4) Texas Tech
5) Ok St.
6) Kansas State
7) TCU or Baylor

Upstarts
8) Iowa State
9) BYU
10) WV
11) Cincy
12) UConn
13) UCF
14) TCU or Baylor

Either way, in time, say 5 years - we'll all learn to hate each other the proper way...as rivals.

Reaction Score
My reading between the lines is horrific, but I'm not too confident about UConn in any P-5 down the line, or any other G-5 school for that matter.
My recollection of concepts expressed this week out of B12 meetings does not project much hope.
paraphrasing......."no benefit to expanding to other geographical areas'......"there will be further expansion down the line when better options are available" "no team (G5?)names being mentioned/considered

My fearful expectations : (1) both ACC and BIG 12 considered weak conferences during future expansion, (2) four (4) P-4 conferences expanded by cherry picking the better teams from BIG 12 and ACC (3) remaining teams in ACC and BIG 12 combine to become a G-6 conference (4) no movement of any team in current G-5 to a P-5 conference

I, more than anyone else, hope I'm 1,000,000% wrong, but to quote a line from the 70's movie "Grease"........"I got chills and they're multiplying"

I would not be surprised if the above happens

Reaction Score
My reading between the lines is horrific, but I'm not too confident about UConn in any P-5 down the line, or any other G-5 school for that matter.
My recollection of concepts expressed this week out of B12 meetings does not project much hope.
paraphrasing.."no benefit to expanding to other geographical areas'."there will be further expansion down the line when better options are available" "no team (G5?)names being mentioned/considered

My fearful expectations : (1) both ACC and BIG 12 considered weak conferences during future expansion, (2) four (4) P-4 conferences expanded by cherry picking the better teams from BIG 12 and ACC (3) remaining teams in ACC and BIG 12 combine to become a G-6 conference (4) no movement of any team in current G-5 to a P-5 conference

I, more than anyone else, hope I'm 1,000,000% wrong, but to quote a line from the 70's movie "Grease"..."I got chills and they're multiplying"

I would not be surprised if the above happens

Instead of a new post every hour or so where someone explains that they've come to the conclusion that we're stuck in a lousy conference forever, can we just sticky a poll so that these people can just be tallied? This is getting tiresome.

Reaction Score
Yesterday, I was resigned to the thought that expansion was unlikely. Today, the news of the CCG and the possibility that the Big 12 may go back to divisions makes me think expansion is possible once again. And I'm convinced UConn and Cincy will be 2017 invitees.

To celebrate, I'll indulge in the endlessly entertaining art of the dividing the conference into divisions. My goal is to spread the travel burden evenly among both divisions.

This Division
1. Texas
2. Tech
3. Baylor
4. K State
5. Cincy
6. UConn

That Division
1. OU
2. Ok State
3. TCU
4. Kansas
5. Iowa St
6. West Virginia

Permanent cross-divisional rivalries between like numbers.

So... in my plan, although UConn would have to travel to Texas one or two times a year they would always get to play their closest rivals (Cincy and WVU) every year. Probably one at home and one away.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yesterday, I was resigned to the thought that expansion was unlikely. Today, the news of the CCG and the possibility that the Big 12 may go back to divisions makes me think expansion is possible once again. And I'm convinced UConn and Cincy will be 2017 invitees.

To celebrate, I'll indulge in the endlessly entertaining art of the dividing the conference into divisions. My goal is to spread the travel burden evenly among both divisions.

This Division
1. Texas
2. Tech
3. Baylor
4. K State
5. Cincy
6. UConn

That Division
1. OU
2. Ok State
3. TCU
4. Kansas
5. Iowa St
6. West Virginia

Permanent cross-divisional rivalries between like numbers.

So... in my plan, although UConn would have to travel to Texas one or two times a year they would always get to play their closest rivals (Cincy and WVU) every year. Probably one at home and one away.
Expansion is dead according to our other threads, so thanks for the sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom