Big 12 Meetings | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Welcome to the conference, boys. We have a bunch of analysis and experts we paid for to tell us whether or not to expand, and we'll be hearing from them this week."
"Screw it. Let's decide right now to do nothing."
"Oh ok, cool. I'll get the blogger from scout on the phone."

Here's a terrible. boring story:

My first semester freshman year, I took an English class called "Writing from Experience." (I took it because you didn't have to read any books; as you may have guessed from the name of the class, all we had to was write essays based on our life experiences.) One kid, whose name I no longer remember, but who definitely wore a full Star Trek uniform to class one day (I believe but am not 100% sure it was Halloween) wrote a story about getting hit by a car when he was riding his bike. And the name of the story was "Chipped Brown Paint." As soon as he was finished reading the story aloud, he became forever known to me and my classmates as Chip Brown. So whenever I see anything written by this clown, I can't take anything he says seriously, and all I can do is think about that dork in the Star Trek uniform.

Reaction Score
SOURCES: BIG 12 Expansion Not Happening

Alternate Title: Big XII Collapse Imminent

The Texas writers love to talk about how Boren "dialed back" his statements about the need for a network and expansion but they neglect to mention what the conference commissioner Bowlsby said:

“If we do nothing, 12 years from now, we'll be $20 million per school behind the SEC and the Big Ten,” he said.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SOURCES: BIG 12 Expansion Not Happening

Alternate Title: Big XII Collapse Imminent

That story is so stupid it pisses me off. FSU and Clemson? Arizona and ASU? Right.

That said, while it doesn't help UConn, I do think the Big 12's best move is sitting tight. The ship on long-term survival has sailed. I think the Big 12 would be smart to milk the current fees, add a championship game, and be prepared for the end in 2025.

Reaction Score

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The fact that a program like TCU went from a mid-major and fell a** backwards into the P6, which then again somehow landed on its feet when it collapsed to the P5 makes my blood boil. Just goes to show how short sighted and football drunk everyone in this business is.

Also as these articles are stating, if a near "unanimous" decision on each school is needed for expansion then we are absolutely screwed and will never leave the dregs of the AAC. The football schools in each conference will never give us a fair shake, no matter how attractive our TV figures and finances are. All they care about is football culture and future recruiting grounds, they can't see the value in anything else. If you don't believe me just refer back to good ole TCU, the fact that they get to vote on the potential addition of a G5 is hilarious. /rant

Reaction Score
The fact that a program like TCU went from a mid-major and fell a** backwards into the P6, which then again somehow landed on its feet when it collapsed to the P5 makes my blood boil. Just goes to show how short sighted and football drunk everyone in this business is.

Also as these articles are stating, if a near "unanimous" decision on each school is needed for expansion then we are absolutely screwed and will never leave the dregs of the AAC. The football schools in each conference will never give us a fair shake, no matter how attractive our TV figures and finances are. All they care about is football culture and future recruiting grounds, they can't see the value in anything else. If you don't believe me just refer back to good ole TCU, the fact that they get to vote on the potential addition of a G5 is hilarious. /rant

Reaction Score
Nothing about the no expansion report bothers me......commish said final consultants reports would be reviewed.....everyone would listen.....go back and discuss their position and hopefully by the end of the summer the big 12 would decide.......

Reaction Score

Have back to back 10, 9,or even 8 win football seasons .
Thats how you change the narrative.
New Jersey is considered prime recruitment territory.
This is the Northeast it not the far West
A Jersey kids parents can't drive all the way to Ct., to watch their kid play.
How stupid is that argument.
That's like saying a kid from Flagstaff would never go to ASU
I believe the AZ schools recruit in Southern Californua because it's only a 7 hour drive to watch their kid play.yet 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Jersey is insurmountable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nothing about the no expansion report bothers me.commish said final consultants reports would be reviewed.....everyone would listen.....go back and discuss their position and hopefully by the end of the summer the big 12 would decide..
Tells me that there isn't consensus.

Reaction Score
Tells me that there isn't consensus.

cannot disagree...but you know Baylor did not have anyone with authority there anyway....plus this meeting was never touted as the yea or nay of expansion and championship game before it happened......starr was not replaced on the committee yet.....its a situation that has not fully played out yet unless it comes out that there will never be enough votes.......and the commish has told them that is a death wish

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I still think P5 is just a rest stop on the way to a much smaller pool in Football. If Texas thinks the same they can ride out status quo and give up nothing. They believe they are in the group of 32-48 teams that will make up end game college football no matter what happens. Blowing up the B12 in the short term makes it a P4. 10 years it may not be conference specific any more. I can imagine dropping the NCAA altogether in football and creating a college football league of 32 teams. Whats to stop it? And I think if Texas feels they can eventually be part of a multi billion billion dollar 32 team league then why try and appease anyone. Today's 50 million payouts are chump change in that world. If I am Texas I try and implode everything up to and including the BCS. Cut the dead weight and start the pieces moving. Very little to lose.

Reaction Score
I still think P5 is just a rest stop on the way to a much smaller pool in Football. If Texas thinks the same they can ride out status quo and give up nothing. They believe they are in the group of 32-48 teams that will make up end game college football no matter what happens. Blowing up the B12 in the short term makes it a P4. 10 years it may not be conference specific any more. I can imagine dropping the NCAA altogether in football and creating a college football league of 32 teams. Whats to stop it? And I think if Texas feels they can eventually be part of a multi billion billion dollar 32 team league then why try and appease anyone. Today's 50 million payouts are chump change in that world. If I am Texas I try and implode everything up to and including the BCS. Cut the dead weight and start the pieces moving. Very little to lose.
couldnt disagree more. we have a 32 team league. its called the nfl. that model simply wont work on the collegiate level. for one, the national interest won't be there. two, the anti-trust laws will go through the roof. third, these 32 schools would surely lose their non profit status. fourth, they will undoubtedly have to pay the players. the ncaa and the elite football schools will still need the bottom feeders to some extent.

Reaction Score
couldnt disagree more. we have a 32 team league. its called the nfl. that model simply wont work on the collegiate level. for one, the national interest won't be there. two, the anti-trust laws will go through the roof. third, these 32 schools would surely lose their non profit status. fourth, they will undoubtedly have to pay the players. the ncaa and the elite football schools will still need the bottom feeders to some extent.
I was getting ready to type up this exact response, but you duck**ng nailed it. Well done.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
We will see in 20 years I guess. I will be happy to be wrong because if it goes to 48 or so we are on the outside forever. I'll never bet against the big pigs pushing the little pigs from the trough. We won't come back to this in 10 years so I am happy to move along.

Reaction Score
ChuckCarltonDMN 9:50pm via TweetDeck
Source indicates at least six Big 12 schools now favor expansion as a concept and maybe as many as eight. No consensus on who just yet.
Sources: Anywhere from 6-8 Big 12 schools back expansion, but one problem persists | SportsDay

"Still, the tantalizing possibility of anything definitive has resulted in about 35 media credentials, including interest from potential expansion outposts like Memphis, Cincinnati, Orlando (Central Florida) and Salt Lake City (near BYU)."

I just hope industriousness of the local media is not a factor the B12 takes into consideration.

Reaction Score
"Still, the tantalizing possibility of anything definitive has resulted in about 35 media credentials, including interest from potential expansion outposts like Memphis, Cincinnati, Orlando (Central Florida) and Salt Lake City (near BYU)."

I just hope industriousness of the local media is not a factor the B12 takes into consideration.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Why would our local media have to fly there in person when they already know?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Gresh doesn't pretend not to be ill informed on most topics, but Joe D has his own minutes of abject ignorance to blatant stupidity especially with football broadcasts. One of the better examples being D'Ambrosio referring to Iowa State as the Hawkeyes during Division 1-transitioning UConn's 37-20 triumph in Ames.

Sometime in the 3rd quarter, someone with more knowledge clued Joe D in the Huskies were actually playing against the Cyclones. Yup, it left an impression during and since UConn's huge upset.

Adding insult to injury, the local Iowa State TV broadcast of that game lost its audio feed sometime during the 1Q. They were allowed to patch in the call of the game from WTIC radio to go along with their video, so Cyclone fans were treated to Joe D calling their team the Hawkeyes throughout most of a game they eventually lost by 17 points. Needless to say, the viewers at home were really pissed off to hear their beloved Cyclones called the Hawkeyes, their most hated rival. One Cyclone fan who visited here afterward indicated that he wanted to go to the stadium, find Joe D, tie him to the back bumper of his pickup truck, and drag him from Ames to Iowa City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom