Big 12 Meetings | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of two Big 12 meetings begin this week (football coaches & ADs). Don't expect to learn much for the first round of meetings. The second round (late May) includes B12 presidents and is more likely to be fiery. Figured there should be a thread dedicated to this anyway.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well we know President Herbst and David Benedict will be in Greenwich on May 12. Maybe they'll both shuttle to LAG or Kennedy after their Alumni dinner and fly out to Big 12 land.

Reaction Score
I am very anxious to find out if the second round of meetings will affirm or refute any of the rumors and assumptions that have been swirling around.

It's a competitive feeling akin to watching football or something. I find myself rooting for the scenarios I like to be right and the scenarios I don't like to be wrong.

For example, I'm hoping OU is sincere in its desire to see the Big 12 prosper and isn't just maneuvering for an apocalyptic impasse so they can exit without GOR consequences.

And I'm hoping Texas' silence signals that their new leadership is less predatory than the previous regime.

I'd love to see the Big 12 thrive with two or four really outstanding additions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just want a lifeboat. A shiny new lifeboat with shelter and food inside would be wonderful, but at this point I'd even be happy with this one.

stock-photo-leaky-life-boat-filled-with-water-102581756.jpg

Reaction Score
Well we know President Herbst and David Benedict will be in Greenwich on May 12. Maybe they'll both shuttle to LAG or Kennedy after their Alumni dinner and fly out to Big 12 land.
I'm sure, if need be, Burton will have the private jet fueled up and waiting for them just across the border at Westchester County airport. They can get wherever they need to get in 4 hours or less...door to door.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm not holding my breath...but we just better not getting picked over.

Reaction Score
That's the best they could come up with? One of the creative kids here on the Yard could do something more compelling in about 15 minutes. I would bet everything I own that UConn has submitted something similar (but hopefully a lot more compelling)

Considering it wasn't even remotely propaganda. . . Cincy isn't like UCF they don't have the media stumping for them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Considering it wasn't even remotely propaganda. . . Cincy isn't like UCF they don't have the media stumping for them.
I'm not sure what your point is. They produced a video and submitted it to big 12 for review. It's nothing but propaganda. Unfortunately for them, it's lackluster at best.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your point is. They produced a video and submitted it to big 12 for review. It's nothing but propaganda. Unfortunately for them, it's lackluster at best.
We're splitting hairs, the videos were created and produced by UC (those are propaganda.) The article was simply a news story (not like the UCF writer's propaganda.) That's all I was saying.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We're splitting hairs, the videos were created and produced by UC (those are propaganda.) The article was simply a news story (not like the UCF writer's propaganda.) That's all I was saying.
I'm just saying the video was awful. Don't care who wrote the article. I would think they would put a little more effort in to something being sent to big12. I guess when you don't have much to sell that's what you come up with.

Reaction Score

I dislike "news" that speculates without citing applicable facts or direct quotes. The writer says, "Texas' TV deal has made school officials reluctant to favor expansion."

So because Boren wants expansion, a title game and a network, and because Longhorn Network is a potential barrier to a Big 12 Network, then it must be an obstacle to expansion too? That's an inductive fallacy.

Beside, the only person with direct knowledge of the situation to come out and make a quote about where Texas stands on any of these issues was Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby who said in March, “We can't do a network without Texas raising its hand and saying, ‘We're willing to roll it in,' We've had those conversations, but they haven't raised their hand. But they also haven't said, ‘Stop right now. We're not willing to talk about it.'”

Which sounds to me like Texas is still taking it all in. Texas will be fine no matter what happens, so Texas probably has no sense of urgency.

But the people at Texas are probably also smart enough to realize that if the conference they're in burns up, they'll have to make concessions on their LHN to join any other conference any way, so why not consider parlaying those concessions in a way that preserves geographically convenient competition, and a long-standing rival? And why not expand that precious Longhorn brand into UConn's populous viewing area by bringing the very-worthy-in-every-respect Huskies into the conference?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dislike "news" that speculates without citing applicable facts or direct quotes. The writer says, "Texas' TV deal has made school officials reluctant to favor expansion."

So because Boren wants expansion, a title game and a network, and because Longhorn Network is a potential barrier to a Big 12 Network, then it must be an obstacle to expansion too? That's an inductive fallacy.

Beside, the only person with direct knowledge of the situation to come out and make a quote about where Texas stands on any of these issues was Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby who said in March, “We can't do a network without Texas raising its hand and saying, ‘We're willing to roll it in,' We've had those conversations, but they haven't raised their hand. But they also haven't said, ‘Stop right now. We're not willing to talk about it.'”

Which sounds to me like Texas is still taking it all in. Texas will be fine no matter what happens, so Texas probably has no sense of urgency.

But the people at Texas are probably also smart enough to realize that if the conference they're in burns up, they'll have to make concessions on their LHN to join any other conference any way, so why not consider parlaying those concessions in a way that preserves geographically convenient competition, and a long-standing rival? And why not expand that precious Longhorn brand into UConn's populous viewing area by bringing the very-worthy-in-every-respect Huskies into the conference?

This is what I've been hoping for. The best case for Texas, long term, is a stable Big XII. They don't want to go to the Pac, and play most of their games late on pacific time against teams they don't give 2 shites about. The LHN will never survive in any other conference, so if it has to be sacrificed, doing it to save the Big XII is the best case for UT. They can even wring some favorable concessions around $$ and branding that they'd never get anywhere else either.

I think UT is simply using time as leverage to squeeze the best deal they can out of this. But ultimately, has to come along.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We better see some propaganda from the Courant in the next few days

Why anyone expected Jacobs to keep his New Year's resolution any more than most of us, I don't know.

This is what peoeple (whomever they are) mean when they say UConn football media coverage is lacking.

If Jacobs was serious about his resolution he'd be all over these Big12 meetings with timely placed tweets and articles.

Reaction Score
This is what I've been hoping for. The best case for Texas, long term, is a stable Big XII. They don't want to go to the Pac, and play most of their games late on pacific time against teams they don't give 2 shites about. The LHN will never survive in any other conference, so if it has to be sacrificed, doing it to save the Big XII is the best case for UT. They can even wring some favorable concessions around $$ and branding that they'd never get anywhere else either.

I think UT is simply using time as leverage to squeeze the best deal they can out of this. But ultimately, has to come along.

Yep. Plus there's this:

Last year Texas left millions offered by Under Amour on the table to sign with Nike and justified it by saying Texas "values relationships."

Texas lost its tertiary rival, Arkansas, in 1991 and its secondary rival, Texas A&M, in 2011.

Texas may be slow-rolling this thing but I don't think anybody in burnt orange is about to let Texas' primary rival, OU, run off mad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep. Plus there's this:

Last year Texas left millions offered by Under Amour on the table to sign with Nike and justified it by saying Texas "values relationships."

Texas lost its tertiary rival, Arkansas, in 1991 and its secondary rival, Texas A&M, in 2011.

Texas may be slow-rolling this thing but I don't think anybody in burnt orange is about to let Texas' primary rival, OU, run off mad.

Meanwhile, OU's primary rival is UT, but that would be offset by reuniting with their other main rival, Nebraska. But I doubt that they want separation from OSU. Kansas lost its rival Missouri, and really doesn't want to leave K-State, although it would like to play Nebraska again, and probably Iowa.

It's really sad that UT didn't come around in time to save Mizzou and A&M. Imagine how strong the Big XII would be with the current lineup, plus Mizzou, A&M, Nebraska and Colorado. They should have invited Utah long ago. They clearly didn't see the changes coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom