OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 305 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Anybody else see pizza places out-of-state now touting “New Haven Style Pizza” and it’s, well…not?
There’s even a place close to me in PA called ‘New Haven Pizza’ which, after tasting it, should change their name…
Tony’s in San Francisco won a pizza competition in Vegas with their New Haven style. Can confirm it (and everything else I had there) was awesome. Can’t recommend Tony’s highly enough

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
When is Sallys in Wethersfield opening? It’s looked ready for a long time now.
It's been years. I live in town and am involved here and have heard nothing. Other pizza places have opened up in the meantime. At this point, who knows.

While you're waiting, try the apple and bacon, seasonal autumn pizza at First and Last Hartford. And no, First and Last Glastonbury is not any good.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I'm an avid Sally's guy, have been for decades, though when I went this summer the anchovies pizza sucked as the filets were too small, but still, they my faves. On the eastern end of the state, Recovery Room in New London (across from L&M Hospital, hence the name) had serviceable pizza, not New Haven style by any means, but good overall taste.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

"That also includes decades as an early sponsor of the Dom Aitro Little League up the Grand Avenue hill in Fair Haven Heights (where Carranza grew up); as a regular supporter of fundraisers for families with kids with autism; and, more recently, as purveyor of hundreds of pizzas to health care workers and first responders during the darkest intervals of the Covid epidemic..."

I can vouch for this. I played on the "Grand Apizza" Dom Aitro team in the late 70's. I was terrible, the free pizza for the team was great!

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Anyone been to the new Nicky's Place Pizza on Coe Avenue in East Haven? It took over the old Apizza Grande spot that the Nuzzos used to run.

Reaction Score
It's been years. I live in town and am involved here and have heard nothing. Other pizza places have opened up in the meantime. At this point, who knows.

While you're waiting, try the apple and bacon, seasonal autumn pizza at First and Last Hartford. And no, First and Last Glastonbury is not any good.

Agree First & Last Glastonbury no good. But Plainville is!

Reaction Score
Went to the Glastonbury one with my parents, who live in town, a few weeks ago and it was not good at all. My wife and I were very disappointed.

Reaction Score
Went to Modern today on the way up to the game. Amazing that a pizza place can already have a line at 11:30 A.M. when most places aren't even open yet. I'm really a Pepe's guy, been to Sally's several times, and this was only my second or third time at Modern and I barely remember the other times. I really enjoyed the Italian Bomb which I ordered well done, light cheese as recommended here. As someone else here said, you really only need one piece of this. It seemed to me there was no cheese, not light cheese, but it didn't matter because it was great. I've never head a good white clam pie outside of Pepe's(Zuppardi's being the exception to the rule) and today was no different. I thought since we're in New Haven and it's Big Three, I would give it a try, but it was a waste, just didn't have the flavor. The straight cheese was my favorite of the day. We had a pie with pepperoni and the pepperoni didn't crisp up at all, which was dissapointing. I should have gotten a tomato pie as they looked good. I look forward to going back, and I now know what I will order. It's still number three in my book behind Pepe's and Sally's.

Reaction Score
Tony’s in San Francisco won a pizza competition in Vegas with their New Haven style. Can confirm it (and everything else I had there) was awesome. Can’t recommend Tony’s highly enough

Isn't Tony's very much a Neapolitan place? I went maybe 5 years ago and remember that, but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
Isn't Tony's very much a Neapolitan place? I went maybe 5 years ago and remember that, but I could be mistaken.
Oh yes. They certainly do Neapolitan at a world class level; won gold medal in a contest in Naples, in fact. And I had it; a true 10/10 to which no place I’ve been has compared. They have multiple ovens going at different temperatures for different styles. They do Detroit, St Louis (cracker), New York, Roman, Neapolitan, New Haven, and more. Truly a pizza place on a level no other comes close. Worthy of its consistent ranking in the top 5 in the country. Run by true Italians too; I know the type, I grew up in Jersey.

Reaction Score
Had John's of Bleecker St in NYC before the UConn game Monday. It was pretty good but Modern and Pepe's are significantly better

Reaction Score
Oh yes. They certainly do Neapolitan at a world class level; won gold medal in a contest in Naples, in fact. And I had it; a true 10/10 to which no place I’ve been has compared. They have multiple ovens going at different temperatures for different styles. They do Detroit, St Louis (cracker), New York, Roman, Neapolitan, New Haven, and more. Truly a pizza place on a level no other comes close. Worthy of its consistent ranking in the top 5 in the country. Run by true Italians too; I know the type, I grew up in Jersey.

I remember that award winning pie now. Blew my fricken' mind.

Reaction Score
I remember that award winning pie now. Blew my fricken' mind.
I spent a week in SF eating almost nothing but Japanese and Chinese food (all of which was incredible), but made my way up the hill there. Life-altering stuff.

Reaction Score
Had John's of Bleecker St in NYC before the UConn game Monday. It was pretty good but Modern and Pepe's are significantly better
I was looking for good places to go on Monday as well. Took my son to McSorley's for his maiden voyage and scoped out two places that were highly rated via Portnoy (for whatever his opinion is worth). With lines out the door at both places between 2 and 4pm on a Monday, I'm figuring they cant be all bad. Prince Street Pizza and the original Joe's on Carmine St. Let me just say that I was very disappointed with both of them. We are truly spoiled with NH apizza.

That being said, I do want to try John's of Bleecker St. If you are looking for a really good slice, NY Pizza Suprema right across the street from the Garden is damn good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anybody else see pizza places out-of-state now touting “New Haven Style Pizza” and it’s, well…not?
There’s even a place close to me in PA called ‘New Haven Pizza’ which, after tasting it, should change their name…
Yes, I've read that New Haven-style is becoming a "thing" outside the state. It just made The New Yorker.

Reaction Score
I was looking for good places to go on Monday as well. Took my son to McSorley's for his maiden voyage and scoped out two places that were highly rated via Portnoy (for whatever his opinion is worth). With lines out the door at both places between 2 and 4pm on a Monday, I'm figuring they cant be all bad. Prince Street Pizza and the original Joe's on Carmine St. Let me just say that I was very disappointed with both of them. We are truly spoiled with NH apizza.

That being said, I do want to try John's of Bleecker St. If you are looking for a really good slice, NY Pizza Suprema right across the street from the Garden is damn good.
Yup, Pizza Suprema is the go to if you're at MSG.

Reaction Score
sopranos.png

I'm starting to hate how inconsistent Sally's and Pepe's are these days. In August I went to Pepe's and it was bad. Thick crust, just a disappointment all around. Same happened to me last time at Sally's last Christmas. So we gave Sally's another go this last Tuesday and it was excellent. Ordered 3 pies, all of them were like the Sally's of old. I can't quit these places when they're going to make a good pie 1 time out of 2 or 1 time out of 3 even.

Reaction Score
View attachment 93423

I'm starting to hate how inconsistent Sally's and Pepe's are these days. In August I went to Pepe's and it was bad. Thick crust, just a disappointment all around. Same happened to me last time at Sally's last Christmas. So we gave Sally's another go this last Tuesday and it was excellent. Ordered 3 pies, all of them were like the Sally's of old. I can't quit these places when they're going to make a good pie 1 time out of 2 or 1 time out of 3 even.
I don't know. I feel like we're just demanding perfection every single time. We're so programmed to full immediate satisfaction now, there's no room for any slippage.

I would bet if you could take an average West Hartford Pepe's pie from today and time travel back to feed it to a family in 1995, they wouldn't have a single complaint and would rave about it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I don't know. I feel like we're just demanding perfection every single time. We're so programmed to full immediate satisfaction now, there's no room for any slippage.

I would bet if you could take an average West Hartford Pepe's pie from today and time travel back to feed it to a family in 1995, they wouldn't have a single complaint and would rave about it.
Having worked in New Haven for years, and now approaching 15 years in Colorado, this whole thing gets tiny violins from me. You have access to the best pizza on the planet. I sadly don't.

Modern was the quiet king then.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not a CT pizzeria, but my brother & SIL were in for the weekend from Danbury. Took them for their first Detroit-style pizza at Iron Born on Sat. When they first saw it, they were afraid it was gonna be a belly bomb like deep dish, but were amazed how light and airy the things are. They scarfed all six squares of theirs. Wife and I only 4.5, and we love the stuff.

Reaction Score
Having worked in New Haven for years, and now approaching 15 years in Colorado, this whole thing gets tiny violins from me. You have access to the best pizza on the planet. I sadly don't.
They still putting honey in their pizza crust out there?

Reaction Score

The people I'm quoting are indeed crusty, but they're oldheads. And the thing is, they tend to enjoy their meals. I think things have changed. It's not that we're looking to criticize. For me, New Haven pizza is a treat that I can't get most of the year. You get to Pepe's and it's underwhelming. I could get what I was served up in New York.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom