OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 116 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pres does colony.

Does a bonus hot oil review

Never was a fan of the hot oil myself. I always went meatball and onion if I remember and it was pretty good, nothing to write home about.

Some people go crazy for Colony tho.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pres does colony.

Does a bonus hot oil review

The hot oil pizza is "like a hot tamale in my mouth"? "It's too spicy for me..."

Whatever limited cred this dude has is shot to hell in my mind. Guy is a wuss. On the not hot oil pies at Colony, pretty much every regular adds hot pepper flakes.

Not to mention has no idea what a tamale tastes like.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
pay attention -- it's 'ah-beets' (phonetically). vice pizza show, new haven, 2+ million views, have at it.

Thanks for posting. That’s pretty well done.

I checked out the book written by the author featured here the other day. Looks like a good job there, too; I really hope someone gives it to me for Christmas. Otherwise I’ll be getting for myself.

Reaction Score
Zuppardi’s Apizza putting taste of West Haven all over the map

>>Long one of the most popular pizza joints in both West Haven and Greater New Haven, Zuppardi’s — the second-oldest pizzeria in Connecticut after Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven — can now be found in grocery stores as far away as Texas, its owners say.<<

Just had a bacon & onion Zuppardi's at the Elks Club in Glastonbury. Probably the best frozen pizza I have had.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Had a mootz last night at Sally's one week after having had Modern. Never had em that close together. Sally's blows Modern away IMO. Sally's and Pepe's are comparable, though Pepe's can be inconsistent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sally's blows Modern away IMO. Sally's and Pepe's are comparable, though Pepe's can be inconsistent.
"Blows away" is much too strong imo. My sample size with Modern is easily 100 times greater than the other two because I am rarely able to time Pepe's and Sally's so that they are not a hassle, so it's Modern for us most of the time. The thing with Modern though is you have to specify "light mozz, well done."

I agree that Sally's is the best of the three going solely by pizza quality, but unless the new owners have already made radical changes, the time/inconvenience factor is not enough to sway me there. Pepe's has underwhelmed me most frequently of the three.

But at the end of the day we're still quibbling at the margins of greatness to distinguish among them.

Except for Bufalina.

And Bobby's.

Reaction Score
I’ve never had the luxury of eating new haven pizza (need to soon), however, I have had Frank Pepe in West Hartford several times and it’s not that good- usually undercooked.

Two best I’ve had in CT are Harry’s pizza bishops corner in West Hartford and Colony Grill in Stamford.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Went to Price Street pizza for a couple Pepperoni squares after game yesterday. Fra Diavlo sauce excellent on that deal. Not bad for a NY slice.

August_West

Reaction Score
"Blows away" is much too strong imo. My sample size with Modern is easily 100 times greater than the other two because I am rarely able to time Pepe's and Sally's so that they are not a hassle, so it's Modern for us most of the time. The thing with Modern though is you have to specify "light mozz, well done."

I agree that Sally's is the best of the three going solely by pizza quality, but unless the new owners have already made radical changes, the time/inconvenience factor is not enough to sway me there. Pepe's has underwhelmed me most frequently of the three.

But at the end of the day we're still quibbling at the margins of greatness to distinguish among them.

Except for Bufalina.

And Bobby's.

Bobby’s is pizza capital of new haven

August_West

Reaction Score
CT wiping up the country on barstool. Never heard of this place. Another in the 8s

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
pay attention -- it's 'ah-beets' (phonetically). vice pizza show, new haven, 2+ million views, have at it.

The "star" goes beyond a pizza fold and makes it a sandwhich. No credibility.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’ve never had the luxury of eating new haven pizza (need to soon), however, I have had Frank Pepe in West Hartford several times and it’s not that good- usually undercooked.

Two best I’ve had in CT are Harry’s pizza bishops corner in West Hartford and Colony Grill in Stamford.

Pepe’s in Elmwood is okay but nothing special. Harry’s (both Harry’s) and Luna are better.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Sasso's in Torrington! Holy *&%#ing $#*!! The last time I was this pleasantly surprised by something Connecticut-related it was the 2014 tournament draw!

I am seriously shocked at how good this is – as good as Anthony's and IMO it's on par with the best any of the places on the shore have to offer (though obviously the crust is different – casual pizza fans don't understand that interior Connecticut crust is different from shoreline crust because of the yeast).

I can not recommend this enough:

sasso's

Go grab a pie and then head up to visit @idahohusky at Great Falls.

Reaction Score
A few of us will be in Danbury (oh well) during the college bowl games. Delivery suggestions? None of us are local to Dambury and cant scan 1200 pages.

Google says Sono. Any thoughts local huskies?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
A few of us will be in Danbury (oh well) during the college bowl games. Delivery suggestions? None of us are local to Dambury and cant scan 1200 pages.

Thanks.
@JMick may be able to help you out...

Reaction Score
Sasso's in Torrington! Holy *&%#ing $#*!! The last time I was this pleasantly surprised by something Connecticut-related it was the 2014 tournament draw!

I am seriously shocked at how good this is – as good as Anthony's and IMO it's on par with the best any of the places on the shore have to offer (though obviously the crust is different – casual pizza fans don't understand that interior Connecticut crust is different from shoreline crust because of the yeast).

I can not recommend this enough:

sasso's

Go grab a pie and then head up to visit @idahohusky at Great Falls.
There is a Frank Pepe’s in Danbury. It’s not the original on Wooster Street, but it’s real New Haven style Apizza.

Reaction Score
Jerry’s in Middletown just celebrated their 50th anniversary on Thursday. So, of course, my son and I went and had the most disappointing pie I’ve ever ordered from the place! In all seriousness, it was late and they were probably tired from the festivities. It was still good, I love Jerry’s ...

BTW, if it wasn’t for New Haven we might be talking about Middletown; Connecticut pizza is that good.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
If I had to get delivery, I'd go through Vroomservice and decide between Mangia Mangia or Michael Angelo's. I pretty much always get takeout so I'm not super familiar with delivery options. I'd only get Mangia Mangia if you're relatively close to the Brookfield line though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom