OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 105 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
This place called The Red Tomato is the best is my opinion. they are located in Madison ct.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Costco's and Sam's Club have decent pizza's. In a pinch. However, I would not call them frozen pizza.They make them and wrap them up in the fridge part. If you are talking about the real frozen one's in the freezer's...omg.....forget it. One time Costco and I think Sams carried Mystic Pizza. Small plain. Three in a carton. Not bad, plus you could dress them up to your liking. They could not keep up with the sales. They went out quick. Even the people at checkout raved about them. Then...it stopped. Everyone was baffled. Costco's comes out with their own. A copy of Mystic. Kirklands. Terrible!!

Reaction Score
Everyone here should download Barstool’s/ Dave Portnoy’s One Bite pizza review app.

One bite, everybody knows the rules.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everyone here should download Barstool’s/ Dave Portnoy’s One Bite pizza review app.

One bite, everybody knows the rules.

Everyone should ignore Barstool in the hopes they go away.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I know some of you may not care for Dave Portnoy or Barstool, but this is a big deal. Pres has finally come to New Haven to rate pizza. He’s planning on hitting Modern (8.8, should have been a 9.2), Pepe’s, Sally’s, and BAR. Zuppardi’s should be added too imo.

If all the New Haven pizza places deliver (which of course they will), he’ll declare New Haven the rightful pizza capital of the world!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know some of you may not care for Dave Portnoy or Barstool, but this is a big deal. Pres has finally come to New Haven to rate pizza. He’s planning on hitting Modern (8.8, should have been a 9.2), Pepe’s, Sally’s, and BAR. Zuppardi’s should be added too imo.

If all the New Haven pizza places deliver (which of course they will), he’ll declare New Haven the rightful pizza capital of the world!

When is this? It must have already happened because Modern isn't open on Mondays and it doesn't open until 10:30 on the other days of the week.

Speaking of Modern, we got takeout from there on Friday for the first time in several months, during which we've had Bufalina probably a half dozen times or more. We all agreed that the Modern crust now seems thick to us by comparison to Bufalina. One of the two pies was also under-done. Both were still excellent, but I think Bufalina is now our overall favorite, period.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
When is this? It must have already happened because Modern isn't open on Mondays and it doesn't open until 10:30 on the other days of the week.

Speaking of Modern, we got takeout from there on Friday for the first time in several months, during which we've had Bufalina probably a half dozen times or more. We all agreed that the Modern crust now seems thick to us by comparison to Bufalina. One of the two pies was also under-done. Both were still excellent, but I think Bufalina is now our overall favorite, period.

I think he may have been there on Saturday or Sunday...not sure which.

Reaction Score
So has he announced the other ratings?
He releases one a day. So Sally's or Pepe's should be today.

@I Bleed Blue, thanks for posting this. I was thinking of posting this last night. My son is a huge One Bite fan and he showed me the Modern review the second I walked in the door last night. We've been asking for months why he hadn't been to New Haven yet. I'll be curious to see where he ranks all the New Haven places.

He previously reviewed Pepe's in Manchester and Chestnut Hill, MA but those were a long time ago and his scores back then weren't as consistent. My son calls those old reviews "rookie scores".

Reaction Score

Have to recognize the New Haven scene for what it is. But I agree that Bufalina is doing something more interesting right now that has a more Neapolitan style that contrasts with the New Haven style nicely given the proximity.

There is no scale to Bufalina though, it's just the one pizza maker who makes everything. I think that consistency and style is why, to me, it's the best right pizza in the state right now, but there's something to be said about achieving great pizza at scale as Pepe's has, Bufalina won't be able to do that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have to recognize the New Haven scene for what it is. But I agree that Bufalina is doing something more interesting right now that has a more Neapolitan style that contrasts with the New Haven style nicely given the proximity.

There is no scale to Bufalina though, it's just the one pizza maker who makes everything. I think that consistency and style is why, to me, it's the best right pizza in the state right now, but there's something to be said about achieving great pizza at scale as Pepe's has, Bufalina won't be able to do that.
Agree 100%, and would also add that the fact that Bufalina makes only small pies has a lot to do with its consistency as well. It is a lot easier to control the thickness of the crust, the doneness of the pie and the distribution of the toppings on a small pie than on larger sizes.

FWIW, I have been to Bufalina on the rare night when one of Matt or Melissa are not there. On both occasions someone other than Matt was cooking the pies (he was making the pies the night that Melissa wasn't there and another employee was manning the oven) and they were not quite as perfect as usual.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

Post his others please.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Take out is always a risky proposition in my book, even when comparing.

Nothing compares to sitting with the metal tray in front of you. That's how a pizza should be judged. It's one of Portnoy's few failings in this laugh out loud endeavor.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He previously reviewed Pepe's in Manchester and Chestnut Hill, MA but those were a long time ago and his scores back then weren't as consistent. My son calls those old reviews "rookie scores".

Some of his other Boston reviews are too high imo. Admitted homerism there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom