OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 107 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have DREAMS about Colony. Whenever I go home and I take someone with me (ex-husband, last BF) I make them go. It’s a test.
The last BF knew about it bc he’s a pizza freak and had seen it on some show.

My wife (lifelong Pittsburgher) equates Colony pizza with the old Chef Boy-ar-dee pizza kits she remembers as a kid. This is the same woman who once took me to Beto's, so I discount her opinion.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Grand apizza, tolli's, john & Maria's, etc aren't on that national list and are all better

To you, sure. Again, IMHO, Colony is among best in the nation at what it does.

There are 100 spots on that list. IIRC, only three are taken by bar-style pizzas (Colony, Star Tavern, Lynwood Cafe). There are other styles (St. Louis cracker with provel, Ohio grandma, Old Forge, any Sicilian, Chicago deep dish) that I'd take off the list due to personal preference for thin crusts, but I can appreciate a list that's not 100 brick/coal oven Neapolitan style pizzas.

Reaction Score
To you, sure. Again, IMHO, Colony is among best in the nation at what it does.

There are 100 spots on that list. IIRC, only three are taken by bar-style pizzas (Colony, Star Tavern, Lynwood Cafe). There are other styles (St. Louis cracker with provel, Ohio grandma, Old Forge, any Sicilian, Chicago deep dish) that I'd take off the list due to personal preference for thin crusts, but I can appreciate a list that's not 100 brick/coal oven Neapolitan style pizzas.

St Louis “pizza” is the worst possible thing.

Swiss cheese on a cracker.

Gag.Ugh.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
#1 - White Clam, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (New Haven)

#12 - Tomato Pie, Sally's Apizza (New Haven)

#13 - The Italian Bomb, Modern Apizza (New Haven)

#26 - Hot Oil Bar Pie, Colony Grill (Stamford)

#57 - Plain Pie, Ernie's Pizzeria (New Haven)

#58 - Special, Zuppardi's (West Haven)

#64 - Plain Pie, Roseland Apizza (Derby)

#66 - Mashed Potato and Bacon, BAR (New Haven)

#80 - Blue Skies, Coalhouse Pizza (Stamford)

Its absolutely insane that we comprise 1/10th of the best pizzas in the country in our small state.. Thing is I can name a bunch as good as some of the stuff mentioned there.

But not Buffalina. I sold my kneepads to 8893. :)

Reaction Score
Colony pizza is not for me. I really don't understand why people like it.

August_West

Reaction Score
I can't remember--have you been?

It wouldn't shock me if it wasn't your style.

Once eating there. once to go. has to be over 5 years now.

It was great.

My reference was you sing enough of its praises where I dont need to carry that torch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Once eating there. once to go. has to be over 5 years now.

It was great.
Tre Carni would be my recommendation from their regular menu; Maiale and Pepita are my favorites on their Fall menu. I note that their special tonight is a Clam Pizza, with parsley oil, grated parm and bacon.

We already have dinner planned, but now I'm debating grabbing one of those as an app.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
NY’s Artichoke franchise coming to the Berlin Tpke Newington soon. Anybody try them?
I was drunk and don’t remember exactly how it was, but I remember complaining about the long lines at 3am and the taste.

August_West

Reaction Score
Living in Atlanta, reading this thread is both beautiful and pure torture all at once.

Plenty of good food down there.

For Pizza you ever go to Antico?

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes Antico is good as is the pizza place in a Krog Street market, Veruni Napoli; ever been there?

I will say that pizza in Atlanta is better than pizza in DC; THAT is how awful DC pizza is.

nope.

Ive been to Antico at the behest of family living there who wanted Pizza. But I want everything else when Im down there except Pizza.

Reaction Score
St Louis “pizza” is the worst possible thing.

Swiss cheese on a cracker.

Gag.Ugh.
If you talk to pretty much everyone who grew up in Chicago they'll tell you Chicago pizza is thin crust pizza, it's that cracker thin pizza and it's not good.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I guess a white clam pie is weird in one regard....but I just can't wrap my head around a mashed potato pizza making any top ten lists.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know. I guess a white clam pie is weird in one regard....but I just can't wrap my head around a mashed potato pizza making any top ten lists.

You gotta try it. And I recommend it as a red pie, with mashed potato and bacon. At BAR. And you have to eat it there; their pizza is the thinnest and travels less well than any others in my experience.

August_West

Reaction Score

you really have to try it. Its damn good. And Im the same way. mashed potatoes remind me of Thanksgiving, thus I have zero use for them.

August_West

Reaction Score
You gotta try it. And I recommend it as a red pie, with mashed potato and bacon. At BAR. And you have to eat it there; their pizza is the thinnest and travels less well than any others in my experience.

Yup. We get Bar Pizza as part of our Rider when we play on Crown St. They bring it the one block walk from Bar to the club in the box and it is already pretty much ruined.

Reaction Score
nope.

Ive been to Antico at the behest of family living there who wanted Pizza. But I want everything else when Im down there except Pizza.

Don’t blame you at all.

Have you been to Krog Street market in general? It’s pretty cool. A smaller, totally food focused version of Ponce City Market.

August_West

Reaction Score
Don’t blame you at all.

Have you been to Krog Street market in general? It’s pretty cool. A smaller, totally food focused version of Ponce City Market.

No I havent.

Will do so next time.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Yes Antico is good as is the pizza place in a Krog Street market, Veruni Napoli; ever been there?

I will say that pizza in Atlanta is better than pizza in DC; THAT is how awful DC pizza is.
Meh, DC has gotten better. Two Amys, Pete's New Haven Style, Pizzeria Paradiso, there is a lot more happening foodwise/pizza-wise in DC than even ten years ago. It's become a real food town... finally.

Reaction Score
Meh, DC has gotten better. Two Amys, Pete's New Haven Style, Pizzeria Paradiso, there is a lot more happening foodwise/pizza-wise in DC than even ten years ago. It's become a real food town... finally.

It really has, except for pizza.

I’ve tried all the places listed and they are meh at best. (Ps We the Pizza is probably the best, and you didn’t even list it! Haha).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
(Ps We the Pizza is probably the best, and you didn’t even list it! Haha).
That's where we had pizza when we were there with the family a few summers ago. It was decent. Cool place; I liked the concept and they did a cranking business.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I was at Bar once with some people and it was towards the end of the night and some guy was walking by our table with a gigantic pizza. He stopped and said, I can't find whoever ordered this, do you want it? Um, yes please.

I've been out of the NH pizza game for a long time but for me it was Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Bar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom