OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 94 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Huge fail. I've lived in CT., North Jersey, NYC, Chicago and ate pies around Roma and Napoli. Connecticut has the best pizza.
Did you ever go to Broadway Joe's by van courtland park? It's probably my favorite NY pizza place. I wasn't exactly sober the few times I had it, but it was better than everywhere else I went to

Reaction Score
I lived in CT for 13 (New Haven on Academy St no less, for 1.5 of that) , Rome Italy for 3, NYC for 5, and Bangkok for 4 so far.

Gallery Pizza in Bangkok is the best.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I love Greek pizza, in addition to New Haven style. Two restaurants been in business 40 years each, one mile apart in my neighborhood. They both do tremendous business, for good reason.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a nearly life long northern NJ resident who spent 4 years in CT and a few years / family in NY, I think you nailed it. I still say NY pizza is vastly overrated. I've had plenty of mediocre slices in gross places. My favorite is Rays. The one I go to is the Original... or is it Famous... or is it Original Famous... whatever.

I (possibly embarrassingly) like a couple chains, including Anthony's Coal Fire out of Florida of all freakin' places. Really good in my opinion. Don't know if they are in CT. I only go to Blaze in Paramus, NJ to get UConn recruiting information. There are also some thin crust places by me (Bergen NJ) that are awesome, but you can easily throw down a whole pie (Kinchley's Tavern, Nelly's).

I think New Haven has some fantastic pizza that goes over an above, but it also has some garbage. In NJ, I feel confident that if I walk into a local pizza joint, it will be good even though it may not be great. I have 3 local places in my 2.5 square mile town. They are all solid, but not spectacular. So NJ's median is better than CT in my opinion, but I'd put the great New Haven places at the top.
Granted, CT is a small state and there are parts where I wouldn't consider heading for pizza, but I'd claim that the average of CT's top 25 pizza places is superior to the average of anywhere else's top 25. They're not hard to find, and they're pretty easy to get to.
And 25's enough for me.
(Probably works for top 50, though very few states even have 25 that would be worth considering)

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Brooklyn NY has the best pizza out there. New jersey not far behind. CT distant 3rd.
Blasphemy Katherine.
as a resident of all 3 areas at different times in my life.

No. Just no.

not to say NY/NJ dont have tremendous pizza, they do.

Was just at Johns on Bleecker a few weeks ago. Loved it. As usual.

Doesnt top New Haven.

The problem with CT is that outside of New Haven area there are too many greek disasters it drags the state down as a whole.

But the best of New Haven > the best of anywhere.

scoreboard.

The problem is that anybody can open a "restaurant"nowadays, with a vast menu
And then call it a "Pizza" restaurant. There's no guidelines. A lot of these places are "Diners" with pizza on the menu.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you ever go to Broadway Joe's by van courtland park? It's probably my favorite NY pizza place. I wasn't exactly sober the few times I had it, but it was better than everywhere else I went to
No, it sounds terrible.

Reaction Score
No, it sounds terrible.
It was really, really good. I had a friend at Manhattan College that I visited a few times and we always went there. It's right around the corner.

Reaction Score
It was really, really good. I had a friend at Manhattan College that I visited a few times and we always went there. It's right around the corner.
I remember trying ramen noodles for the first time at 2am at UConn. Mind blown.

Reaction Score
Granted, CT is a small state and there are parts where I wouldn't consider heading for pizza, but I'd claim that the average of CT's top 25 pizza places is superior to the average of anywhere else's top 25. They're not hard to find, and they're pretty easy to get to.
And 25's enough for me.
(Probably works for top 50, though very few states even have 25 that would be worth considering)

There were at least 2 comments about the best CT pizza being the absolute best but the average CT pizza being subpar. Maybe my situation is atypical, but growing up eating pizzas in Bridgeport and Fairfield I am wondering where all these terrible pizza places are? I won't even bother going to a place like Nauti Dolphin in Fairfield because there are so many better options but it would have been one of the better around when I lived down south and in the midwest. CT pizza > the rest in all aspects IMO.

Reaction Score
There were at least 2 comments about the best CT pizza being the absolute best but the average CT pizza being subpar. Maybe my situation is atypical, but growing up eating pizzas in Bridgeport and Fairfield I am wondering where all these terrible pizza places are? I won't even bother going to a place like Nauti Dolphin in Fairfield because there are so many better options but it would have been one of the better around when I lived down south and in the midwest. CT pizza > the rest in all aspects IMO.
Yeah an average pizza here is better than the best places you'll find basically anywhere besides the typical pizza "hubs." In a lot of states Domino's is the best pizza you'll find.

Reaction Score
Point being jmick is basing his pizza review on a faulty measurement scale - late night drunken taste buds.
ah but if all the pizza is sampled when inebriated, does it even out?

Reaction Score
ah but if all the pizza is sampled when inebriated, does it even out?
It's like your 5th glass of wine - it doesn't matter anymore if the wine is good.

So yeah it "evens out" so that a crusty piece of bread with ketchup and hot dog slices on it is awesome.

Reaction Score

Agreed. The 6th best place in Glastonbury would still be better than anything in some states.

Reaction Score
It's like your 5th glass of wine - it doesn't matter anymore if the wine is good.

So yeah it "evens out" so that a crusty piece of bread with ketchup and hot dog slices on it is awesome.
you can't tell what food is good or not when you've been drinking?

Reaction Score
you can't tell what food is good or not when you've been drinking?
Maybe? But it doesn't matter since no matter what it all gets a rating of "holy crap this is amazing" - and there's no higher rating than that.

Reaction Score
Ironically I'm the only one posting right now who's sober. I just woke up and I'm still laying in bed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom