OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 96 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Tried to think of spots we haven't mentioned in 92 pages (that are worth mentioning) and landed on Vito's Pizza in Wethersfield. They have other spots and more finer dining options in other locations, but the Wethersfield spot is their original (sort of) and isn't a bad pie. It's almost a mix between a regular and a Greek pie that it's a little greasier then a normal pizza. Good flavor, good sauce and growing up around there, I do crave it from time to time.

When I say "sort of", when they started, they were originally in the same plaza, but around back where it was only takeout. I think there were 2 small tables and a tabletop Mrs Pac Man in there, then they grew and took over a larger space in the same plaza.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I almost never get down to CT. Anyone have thoughts on pizza places in Mass? I've got a couple that are decent nearby. Prezzo in Milford, Rock n Coal, and Franklin Flatbreads. But it's mostly Greek style, and not very good Greek style. Some of the South Shore bar pizzas are quite tasty, Poopsies for instance.

There are two Italian places in town (The Rome, Ciao Bella), but both are way overloaded on garlic and my wife has an allergy to it. Neither are far off from Greek style anyway.

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention Flatbread in Canton? Solid thin crust pie with daily specials cooked in a wood fired oven. Plus the place is pretty cool inside...I designed the place.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Tried to think of spots we haven't mentioned in 92 pages (that are worth mentioning) and landed on Vito's Pizza in Wethersfield. They have other spots and more finer dining options in other locations, but the Wethersfield spot is their original (sort of) and isn't a bad pie. It's almost a mix between a regular and a Greek pie that it's a little greasier then a normal pizza. Good flavor, good sauce and growing up around there, I do crave it from time to time.

When I say "sort of", when they started, they were originally in the same plaza, but around back where it was only takeout. I think there were 2 small tables and a tabletop Mrs Pac Man in there, then they grew and took over a larger space in the same plaza.

Wife and I bought our house in Wethersfield a couple years ago now, enjoyed Vito’s at first. It has taken a steep turn for the worse since then. Very disappointing the past few times we’ve had it. Sloppy stuff they’re serving. Bad ratios of cheese and sauce, cruddy dough perimeters and undercooked toppings.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I almost never get down to CT. Anyone have thoughts on pizza places in Mass? I've got a couple that are decent nearby. Prezzo in Milford, Rock n Coal, and Franklin Flatbreads. But it's mostly Greek style, and not very good Greek style. Some of the South Shore bar pizzas are quite tasty, Poopsies for instance.

There are two Italian places in town (The Rome, Ciao Bella), but both are way overloaded on garlic and my wife has an allergy to it. Neither are far off from Greek style anyway.
Papa Gino's :D

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention Flatbread in Canton? Solid thin crust pie with daily specials cooked in a wood fired oven. Plus the place is pretty cool inside...I designed the place.:rolleyes:
My kids loved Flatbread when they were younger, I don't mind it but the pies are small and the toppings can be sparse. Cool room though.

Reaction Score

We go to the Pepe’s in Chestnut Hill. Quality is pretty good, and it has been consistent recently.

I did notice that they are charring less than when they opened ... I presume to suit the unrefined local tastes.

Reaction Score
Wife and I bought our house in Wethersfield a couple years ago now, enjoyed Vito’s at first. It has taken a steep turn for the worse since then. Very disappointing the past few times we’ve had it. Sloppy stuff they’re serving. Bad ratios of cheese and sauce, cruddy dough perimeters and undercooked toppings.

Interesting and sad to hear. I wonder if they've spread themselves too thin with some of their other ventures. That Wethersfield spot has been there since the mid-80's, I wanna say.

Reaction Score

Really cool spot. We eat there often, Bez.

Reaction Score

Not that close to you but this is the best pizza I've had in MA.

Max and Leo's Pizza ~ Newton Corner ~ 617-244-7200 - Max and Leo's Pizza

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not close, but closer than Pepe's in Chestnut Hill. But I think it's not too from from where I go to the audiologist. Maybe I could grab take out and drive it home and reheat it. Probably close to an hour drive from there.

An hour drive with the heavenly scent of pizza in the car? There is a better than average chance that pie wouldn't see the driveway, let alone have the opportunity for reheating.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
An hour drive with the heavenly scent of pizza in the car? There is a better than average chance that pie wouldn't see the driveway, let alone have the opportunity for reheating.

Eating while driving on 95/128 would be suicide. Maybe if I took the Pike I could pull it off.

Reaction Score
Not close, but closer than Pepe's in Chestnut Hill. But I think it's not too from from where I go to the audiologist. Maybe I could grab take out and drive it home and reheat it. Probably close to an hour drive from there.

Santarpios has a place in Peabody.

Not sure what the quality is vs the original.

Reaction Score
Had Sal's Pizza - East Main Street Meriden-the other night. Under new ownership.

It was really good. Perfect pie. Crust was done great and plenty of toppings.

If anyone is old enough to remember the original Sal's Pizza(same spot in Meriden) and Centennial Pizza that used to be on the West side of Meriden- this is dead ringer for both.

Friendly staff. And they offer free delivery or dine in.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Santarpios has a place in Peabody.

Not sure what the quality is vs the original.

I barely know where Peabody is. It's in the part of the Boston metro that would be about as far from me as Pepe's in Mohegan Sun, in real driving time.

How about Providence? I'm 20-25 minutes or so from Providence.

I need to try Sal's in Milford. History

Husky25

Reaction Score
Eating while driving on 95/128 would be suicide. Maybe if I took the Pike I could pull it off.
...But what a way to go...

Reaction Score
The Traditional with thinly sliced garlic at Zuppardi's Apizza in West Haven ... you may now officially close this thread

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Traditional with thinly sliced garlic at Zuppardi's Apizza in West Haven ... you may now officially close this thread
I appreciate Zuppardi's for what it is, but the last time I was there they were constantly vacuuming (yes, with a vacuum) their ovens. That should not be a part of the pizza production, let along pizza eating, experience.

Reopen thread.

Reaction Score
Note the circles and lines in the floor and the standing stones. They align with sunrise and sunset on the solstice and equinox...subtle but neat feature. Yes, sometimes I'm a little bit out there.

I know exactly what you're referring to. And there are planets up in the rafters everywhere. Did you design the oven with anything in mind or anything particular about that area too? That's like the visual epicenter of the spot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you do this, ask them if they will do a "half-bake" for you, and then you can finish it in the oven or on the grill (with a pizza stone) when you get home. That should help minimize the "steaming" effect you can get from the takeout box and give you enough remaining cooking time to make it crisp without overcooking.

Reaction Score
I know exactly what you're referring to. And there are planets up in the rafters everywhere. Did you design the oven with anything in mind or anything particular about that area too? That's like the visual epicenter of the spot.
The oven is their traditional built-in-place oven. They construct a dome out of tree branches and pack the outside with mud. They gather the mud from a riverbed in New Hampshire. We had a mud party where friends and family's kids made mud bricks and the owner packed and smoothed the oven.

The kids all signed the back of the oven mud. After it dried they burned off the dome branches. The oven is slightly askew because it faces due East.

Reaction Score
Had Sal's Pizza - East Main Street Meriden-the other night. Under new ownership.

It was really good. Perfect pie. Crust was done great and plenty of toppings.

If anyone is old enough to remember the original Sal's Pizza(same spot in Meriden) and Centennial Pizza that used to be on the West side of Meriden- this is dead ringer for both.

Friendly staff. And they offer free delivery or dine in.
Use to work on Research Parkway. Often took a couple of slices home. It was good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom