OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 95 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Ah - is that why you go to crappy pizza places? ;)
I'm telling you, the place is really good. I am no "foodie" but I know good food when I eat it. If you're ever in the Bronx go and find out for yourself.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you, the place is really good. I am no "foodie" but I know good food when I eat it. If you're ever in the Bronx go and find out for yourself.
The Bronx? I used to go there often while i was at UConn because, like you, I had a friend who went to school there - my friend went to Fordham. But our go-to after hours munchies place was the White Castle...I also know good food when I eat it.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As someone who grew up in Bergen County, but moved to (and stayed in) CT, this is exactly right.

NJ has a few 8s, a ton of 6s, and some others.

CT has a few 10s, a few 8s, and a ton of 3-5s.
This works out to the argument that the 6th best pizza place in many NJ towns beats Glastonbury's 6th best but not much more.

It was apt that @Walker11 chose Nauti Dolphin for his example of nothing special pizza that's way better than can be had in much of the country. I'd put Westport Pizza, Pizza Planet, Captains, and hundreds alike in the same category, but there's no need to ever choose such places unless that's what the kids want (and often they do) or that's your taste.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The funniest thing is going to South Carolina or Florida and seeing a sign for "New York Pizza." Of course it's absolutely garbage pizza.

One thing I've noticed lately is all the boutique-like pizza places to attract the bougie/hipster crowd. Meanwhile, the best pizza is at the places that have been doing it all along.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Stretch's was good tonight, but I think I got the pizza with too may toppings. I'm going to try a more simple topping next time-I find that when you load up a pizza with toppings, it take away from the quality. It gives you less of a sense of the pie quality, as all you get is a mouthful of toppings.

Reaction Score
Stretch's was good tonight, but I think I got the pizza with too may toppings. I'm going to try a more simple topping next time-I find that when you load up a pizza with toppings, it take away from the quality. It gives you less of a sense of the pie quality, as all you get is a mouthful of toppings.

Pepperoni or just cheese for me, every time. If a place is famous for a certain pie, like the white clam, I will try but I like to judge every place at its most basic. I will eat pizza about 6o times per year and about 55 of those are 50 of those are cheese pizzas at Pepe's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At the end of a brutal work week I got a text from Mrs. 8893 yesterday evening informing me that we were unexpectedly kid-free for the night and asking what I wanted to do for dinner. The first thing on my wish list was to see if we could slip into Bufalina, and luckily enough they had just had a cancellation and were able to squeeze us in.

As it has been every single time, it was perfect. Special pie was braised brisket with spinach, sauce and mozzarella; and we also got the Gamberi (shrimp, roasted lemon, shallots, parsley, capers, mozzarella), which is the only seasonal pie we hadn't had yet. Both were tremendous, as was the seasonal salad (Little gem lettuce, red mustard greens, pea leaves, roasted sugar snap peas, ricotta, balsamic vinaigrette).

One of the best things to come of the dietary changes I've made in the past two years is limiting my pizza intake. Having it only once or twice a month means I am eating perfect 10's more than 90% of the time because I can afford to be picky.

And one of the things I like best about Bufalina is the seasonal menu that focuses on fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. I usually get there 2-3 times each season so I have a chance to try each of the seasonal pies; and more often than not it's the ones I would be least-likely to order that end up being pleasant surprises. They really know how to express the simple elegance of good ingredients.

Reaction Score
After ~2300 posts, are there any pizza shops that have somehow not been mentioned??

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After ~2300 posts, are there any pizza shops that have somehow not been mentioned??

Haven't seen Riko's (Colony knockoff) or Ridgeway Pizza mentioned yet. In fact many pizza places in Ffld Cty not mentioned. Thread is I-91 corridor centric.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen Riko's (Colony knockoff) or Ridgeway Pizza mentioned yet. In fact many pizza places in Ffld Cty not mentioned. Thread is I-91 corridor centric.

Westport Pizzeria. May not be "the best" pizza - a bit oily for my taste - but it has been an institution in Westport for decades. We used to go there by default after school during my HS years. Unfortunately they recently moved from their Main St. location where they had been for 45 years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That, Colony, Hope St., and the Fairfield Pepe's represent about 1/100th of the pizza places in Ffld Cty.

Reaction Score
That, Colony, Hope St., and the Fairfield Pepe's represent about 1/100th of the pizza places in Ffld Cty.
My friend's cousin is owner of Fat Cat Pie Co. in Norwalk - they're pretty good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Greek pizza, in addition to New Haven style. Two restaurants been in business 40 years each, one mile apart in my neighborhood. They both do tremendous business, for good reason.

You should try Angelo's in Glastonbury if Greek pizza is your thing. They have a half dozen types that are real good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In Stratford there is Salerno's which is still good after all these years. And if you like Greek Pizza there is Paradise which makes a very tasty Greek.
Both true, and both of which have been mentioned upthread at least a few times.

The thread is not I-91 centric as he suggested.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In Stratford there is Salerno's which is still good after all these years. And if you like Greek Pizza there is Paradise which makes a very tasty Greek.

I was thinking more Bridgeport and west/north as Stratford is virtually I-91 corridor.

Anyway, I'm in Pittsburgh and only visit family in Stamford/Danbury occasionally, so suggestions elsewhere are lost on me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Both true, and both of which have been mentioned upthread at least a few times.

The thread is not I-91 centric as he suggested.

OK, I-91 and Route 8 centric :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Campion's in S. Windsor is very good, don't remember their being mentioned.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On the last leg of today's Rock to Rock bike ride, I noted good progress on the upcoming Next Door in the old Humphrey's space, apparently being put together by the Big Green Truck pizza folks. Good number of taps visible at the bar.

Reaction Score
Haven't the faintest idea if its been discussed yet, but a relatively new place in Wethersfield can probably easily be called the best pizza in town (just for Wethersfield). Sale e Pepe on Wolcott Hill Road is only a few months old but they make a nice thinner crusted, chewy, delicious pie. I recommend it whole heartedly if anyone is in the area looking for some pizza.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
On the last leg of today's Rock to Rock bike ride, I noted good progress on the upcoming Next Door in the old Humphrey's space, apparently being put together by the Big Green Truck pizza folks. Good number of taps visible at the bar.

Big Green Pizza Rolls Into Humphrey's | New Haven Independent

"Big Green Truck Pizza is planning to lay down brick-and-mortar roots — and feed the surrounding Jocelyn Square neighborhood the way owner Doug Coffin remembers Humphrey’s restaurant doing in the 1990s. Coffin bases his mobile pizza business next door to the former Humphrey’s restaurant, the historic Piurek Building at 175 Humphrey St. Now Coffin is in the process of creating a new restaurant at shuttered 175 Humphrey with an old-fashioned theme..."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom