OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 106 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Take out is always a risky proposition in my book, even when comparing.

Nothing compares to sitting on the metal tray in front of you. That's a pizza should be judged. It's one of Portnoy's few failings in this laugh out loud endeavor.

I'm also a true believer it should be a mozz pie for judging. That way you can get a true taste of the quality of cheese, sauce, crust, ratio and other ingredientsdon't mask any deficiencies

Reaction Score
FWIW, I have been to Bufalina on the rare night when one of Matt or Melissa are not there. On both occasions someone other than Matt was cooking the pies (he was making the pies the night that Melissa wasn't there and another employee was manning the oven) and they were not quite as perfect as usual.

Oh this is interesting new info, I've never not seen Matt in there. He lives around the corner from me and I saw him in the hardware store one time, but I've never spoken to him other than when picking up pizza. I think I need to befriend the guy. There are likely some solid benefits to that relationship.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm also a true believer it should be a mozz pie for judging. That way you can get a true taste of the quality of cheese, sauce, crust, ratio and other ingredientsdon't mask any deficiencies

Absolutely. Cheese only. Sometimes you have to stray from mozz if that's what the restaurant does for a living, but otherwise, stick to the classic pie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh this is interesting new info, I've never not seen Matt in there. He lives around the corner from me and I saw him in the hardware store one time, but I've never spoken to him other than when picking up pizza. I think I need to befriend the guy. There are likely some solid benefits to that relationship.
One night it was his birthday and they had no childcare, so he was given the night "off" to stay home; the other time Melissa was sick so Matt was making the pies and the tall male employee was manning the oven.

They couldn't be nicer people or easier to speak with; best opportunities for that are while eating there. As you know, pickup can be hectic.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Lol colony has its place and their hot oil pie is great but they are not even top 30 in the state and that might be generous

But they're #1 in their particular style, and that's really all that matters. Not everyone is looking for an authentic Neapolitan or coal-oven baked pie every time out. Sometimes you just want to slum with a pitcher of macrobrew. And Colony delivers that in spades.

I've said it before on here, when I go back to Connecticut, it's not the taste of Pepe's I head to first even though it's the superior pizza. It's Colony. I can get something that's a weak facsimile of Pepe's/Sally's here in Pittsburgh. But nobody does bar/tavern style pies here.

I kinda hope this dope rates the NH classics lower than expected. Not like those places need more bro clients. I can't imagine his audience is anything but bros. And they're already content getting stuffed crusts at Dominos.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But they're #1 in their particular style, and that's really all that matters. Not everyone is looking for an authentic Neapolitan or coal-oven baked pie every time out. Sometimes you just want to slum with a pitcher of macrobrew. And Colony delivers that in spades.

philistine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Colony Pizza woudl be a great place if it was lcoated anywhere other than CT, NY and NJ. In CT, its still behind Modern, Pep's (orginal) and Bar in my opinion.
The point is that it's a different category altogether, like Greek, deep dish or Sicilian.

Reaction Score
Colony Pizza would be a great place if it was lcoated anywhere other than CT, NY and NJ. In CT, its still behind Modern, Pep's (original) and Bar in my opinion.
In my experience NJ has the best italian food but I never had truly great pizza there. It always gets lumped in as a part of the pizza belt but for pizza I have CT. #1, NY #2, and NJ a distant #3. Don't even get me started on RI being a part of the pizza belt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense but even though I would not rank Colony above any of the giants, it is often what I crave.
The combination of stingers and hot oil is addictive. But for me, it doesn’t sit well in the stomach, so I have stopped craving it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In my experience NJ has the best italian food but I never had truly great pizza there. It always gets lumped in as a part of the pizza belt but for pizza I have CT. #1, NY #2, and NJ a distant #3. Don't even get me started on RI being a part of the pizza belt.

NJ does has decent pizza - heck, they even have their own Colony in Star Tavern in E. Orange - but also a higher % of non-decent pizzas. There are some worth seeking out though. And, like CT, there's a range of styles from thin crust, NY street, Greek, wood-fired, grandma, tomato pie, etc.

Regardless what you may think of the pizza, a trip to Santillo's should be on every pizza nerds schedule.

Will add that when Roberto Capuriscio (current owner/chef at Keste) moved away from Pittsburgh (a very sad day for pizza here), he toiled in Ridgewood for a few years before going to Manhattan. NJ is a legit part of the belt, but agree it's #3.

Reaction Score
If you are in Stamford I second giving Colony Grill a try. Love their hot oil pizza or their stinger's pizza. Place has been there forever and it looks like it but damn it is good.
I have DREAMS about Colony. Whenever I go home and I take someone with me (ex-husband, last BF) I make them go. It’s a test.
The last BF knew about it bc he’s a pizza freak and had seen it on some show.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s disgusting. The only time I had it was on campus. Of the three, Pizza Hut is barely edible because of the pan.
I haven’t had it in decades but my recollection is that Pizza Hut’s crust was also very sweet and sugary, almost like fried dough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom