OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 30 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Greek pizza should never be mentioned in a thread about great pizza. The best Greek pizza is about as good as a fairly decent Italian pizza.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Greek pizza should never be mentioned in a thread about great pizza. The best Greek pizza is about as good as a fairly decent Italian pizza.

100% this. Greek pizza exists and that is fine. But a 'great Greek pizza' tastes more like Pizza Hut than Modern (to me anyway).

I think the Courant just did the Top 50 pizza places in Hartford Country (not even New Haven, mind you), and not one single Greek place (as it should be).

Reaction Score
Enuff already. This begs a 'Cr@@piest pizza' thread. Assuming, perhaps, that BY won't get sued for negative, if realistic, market opinions.

Reaction Score
Enuff already. This begs a 'Cr@@piest pizza' thread. Assuming, perhaps, that BY won't get sued for negative, if realistic, market opinions.

I had a couple slices in St. Louis last year. I don't know what the frig those people think they are doing. They use some sort of bizarre cheese (I just googled it and they call it provel - a mix of provolone, swiss, and cheddar). I almost spit it out. I had a hard time understanding why someone would do such a thing to a pizza unless it was part of a Candid Camera-type show to film customers' reactions.

If you ever find yourself in St. Louis and wander into a local pizza joint, pull out your phone and ask Siri where the nearest steakhouse is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I had a couple slices in St. Louis last year. I don't know what the frig those people think they are doing. They use some sort of bizarre cheese (I just googled it and they call it provel - a mix of provolone, swiss, and cheddar). I almost spit it out. I had a hard time understanding why someone would do such a thing to a pizza unless it was part of a Candid Camera-type show to film customers' reactions.

If you ever find yourself in St. Louis and wander into a local pizza joint, pull out your phone and ask Siri where the nearest steakhouse is.
Why? Do they make better pizza in a steak house in Mizzou? ;)

Do yourself a favor and take a couple hour jaunt to the west and get some KC BBQ. :D

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Why? Do they make better pizza in a steak house in Mizzou? ;) Do yourself a favor and take a couple hour jaunt to the west and get some KC BBQ. :D

Wouldn't be a favor to me. I eat Thai food so spicy that it cleans out sinus blockages that are months old, I insist on the habanero Tabasco instead of the wimpy regular stuff, etc. My system handles all of it.

Yet BBQ inevitably sends me to the toilet in 90 minutes or less. Which means I couldn't make the drive back east in time.

Reaction Score
PearlsBeforeSwine-Pizza-20140716.png

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

About like getting a bowl of chili in Cincinnati. Somehow, someway, somewhere along the line, some concoction only very marginally related to the actual dish became the standard way to make it in various places. And they get offended if you spit it out and question their sanity.

Reaction Score
About like getting a bowl of chili in Cincinnati. Somehow, someway, somewhere along the line, some concoction only very marginally related to the actual dish became the standard way to make it in various places. And they get offended if you spit it out and question their sanity.
Skyline Chili is gross, the main flavor I got out of it is cinnamon, who wants cinnamon chili.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Skyline Chili is gross, the main flavor I got out of it is cinnamon, who wants cinnamon chili.

Cinnamon, Tomato and melted cheddar is about all I get out of it too. And they serve it over Spaghetti. It should be against the law to call it chili.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Cinnamon, Tomato and melted cheddar is about all I get out of it too. And they serve it over Spaghetti. It should be against the law to call it chili.
That sounds awful!!!:eek:

Moral of the story is you don't order steak at a fish house or pork at a "kosher" deli.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
That sounds awful!!!:eek:

Moral of the story is you don't order steak at a fish house or pork at a "kosher" deli.

But Cincy chili if famous. I think it's famous along the lines of the residents all like it, and the rest of the country just looks at it and goes "WTF?"

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - do we have a consensus best Pizza in CT? I'm in town for a family emergency and tomorrow is my last full day. I'd like to get one of the best and be done with this trip.

So which CT Pizza is actually the best?

Reaction Score
But Cincy chili if famous. I think it's famous along the lines of the residents all like it, and the rest of the country just looks at it and goes "WTF?"
I can deal with all the other hijacked threads but when we pivot away from pizza (the holy grail of threads) this is where I draw the line.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
OK - do we have a consensus best Pizza in CT? I'm in town for a family emergency and tomorrow is my last full day. I'd like to get one of the best and be done with this trip.

Foodies will insist you go to Pepe's original in New Haven. Even though others have many favorites, it's the quintessential CT New Haven style pizza.

Reaction Score

new haven county: In no real order - Sally's, Modern, Pepe's, Bar...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Foodies will insist you go to Pepe's original in New Haven. Even though others have many favorites, it's the quintessential CT New Haven style pizza.
I agree with both of these.

I would add Bufalina in Guilford as my favorite of all of them, but if you've honestly never had any of those others you should probably go to the source. TRest is right, but J-dog has listed what I consider to be the holy trinity-plus one of New Haven apizza. If you get pizza from any of them you have had the real deal, and certainly one of the best.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK Based on comments, these are the best. Which is closest to Vernon? (not including Pepe's in Manchester)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OK Based on comments, these are the best. Which is closest to Vernon? (not including Pepe's in Manchester)
They are all the same distance. Sally's and Pepe's are two blocks away from each other, and Modern and BAR are within a mile in either direction.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There's a Pepe's and Wooster Street in Manchester.

Reaction Score
There's a Pepe's and Wooster Street in Manchester.

You can't compare the Manchester versions to the establishments in New Haven. Different ovens, different people, different experience. The newbie versions don't compare to the originals in New Haven. You'd never know the ones in Manchester were related the same establishments in New Haven. It's an hour drive from Vernon to New Haven for the real thing. Go for the real thing otherwise one will be disappointed.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can't compare the Manchester versions to the establishments in New Haven. Different ovens, different people, different experience. The newbie versions don't compare to the originals in New Haven. You'd never know the ones in Manchester were related the same establishments in New Haven. It's an hour drive from Vernon to New Haven for the real thing. Go for the real thing otherwise one will be disappointed.
While New Haven is better, the cost really isn't worth the marginal benefit.

Reaction Score
While New Haven is better, the cost really isn't worth the marginal benefit.
In my experience the pies at the original location are way better and well worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom