OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 27 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
warbler13 said:
Any recommendation in Madison, Clinton or Guilford?

Madison resident here.... A lot of people tend to like Red Tomato but I wasn't a huge fan. The pizza place inside Bradley and Wall has actually been my go to lately and it is surprisingly excellent.

Grande Apizza in Clinton from the Nuzzo family is number 1 and can't wait for the new location in Downtown Madison to open up in August where the old Village Pizza was (Village was a disgrace to pizza)

Heard great things about Bufalina but haven't made the trip yet.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Totally agree with Bill. I like Carpanzano's in Guilford best. If I had to pick a Madison place, I would go with the one next to Robert's Grocery store on route 80. I also don't know whywhy everyone loves the Red Tomato.
I live in Guilford, work in Madison.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Madison resident here.... A lot of people tend to like Red Tomato but I wasn't a huge fan. The pizza place inside Bradley and Wall has actually been my go to lately and it is surprisingly excellent.

Grande Apizza in Clinton from the Nuzzo family is number 1 and can't wait for the new location in Downtown Madison to open up in August where the old Village Pizza was (Village was a disgrace to pizza)

Heard great things about Bufalina but haven't made the trip yet.
Totally agree with Bill. I like Carpanzano's in Guilford best. If I had to pick a Madison place, I would go with the one next to Robert's Grocery store on route 80. I also don't know whywhy everyone loves the Red Tomato.
I live in Guilford, work in Madison.

Agree with both you; I don't get the Red Tomato love, which is why I didn't include it. Decent, but only if you eat it there. They use insulated boxes and their pizza does not travel well.

I forgot about Bradley & Wall and agree that it is very good, especially the sauce, which is made with plum tomatoes so it has a nice sweetness to it.

The place next to Robert's is Portofino and it was our go-to local joint for about ten years until Dan sold it so he could focus on Da Legna, his New Haven joint. Portofino has had a noticeable drop in quality since.

The new place, New Haven Apizza on 79 at the driving range is actually pretty decent now that they have become more consistent. I would place it above Portofino at this point.

Village Pizza should not have even been allowed to call their product "pizza." It was closest to that cr@p "party pizza" that they sell in Rhode Island.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't know how Petrillo's stays in business either. I guess some people like bad pizza. But Village was the worst.
Hadn't been to Portofino's in a few years so I missed the decline. Too bad. I liked them (and the Yankee pics on the wall)

Last edited:

Bill Sussman

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
I don't know how Petrillo's stays in business either. I guess some people like bad pizza. But Village was the worst.
Hadn't been to Portofino's in a few years so I missed the decline. Too bad. I liked them (and the Yankee pics on the wall)

I just moved here about a year ago and am right near Roberts... Just south of 80. Been to Roberts countless times and I always assumed Portofino was shut down from how it looked. Too bad I missed its glory days... Would of loved a quality pizza place so close.

As for The New Haven Apizza on 79, my roommate from UConn is a celiac so we swung by there because they do a gluten free pie. He says they put together a quality gluten free pie in case there are any Celiac's on the yard who can't enjoy all this wonderful pizza without serious consequences.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As for The New Haven Apizza on 79, my roommate from UConn is a celiac so we swung by there because they do a gluten free pie. He says they put together a quality gluten free pie in case there are any Celiac's on the yard who can't enjoy all this wonderful pizza without serious consequences.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I also forgot to mention Anthony's of Guilford, which has a surprisingly decent pie. I was there for the first time recently for a retirement party and I always thought of it as a banquet facility, so I was surprised to enjoy several different styles of good quality pizza among the buffet offerings. When I ventured into the bar/restaurant area I ran into a friend from Madison who was waiting for a takeout pie, and he said that his family has been getting their takeout pizza from Anthony's since Portofino started to decline. I've since heard from two other foodie-type folks I know who are locals, and they both say that Anthony's is their local go-to.

Reaction Score

Flatbread in Canton has a good gluten free pie as well. And if you want to make pizza at home, this is the best dough/crust option I've found.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/166981/Gillians-Food-Pizza-Dough.htm

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Thanks, that's good to know. I also forgot to mention Anthony's of Guilford, which has a surprisingly decent pie. I was there for the first time recently for a retirement party and I always thought of it as a banquet facility, so I was surprised to enjoy several different styles of good quality pizza among the buffet offerings. When I ventured into the bar/restaurant area I ran into a friend from Madison who was waiting for a takeout pie, and he said that his family has been getting their takeout pizza from Anthony's since Portofino started to decline. I've since heard from two other foodie-type folks I know who are locals, and they both say that Anthony's is their local go-to.

Apropos of nothing bu this is for you 8893
My friend just opened a high end Italian place in Killingworth called La Foresta. Been open just a few days. He was my late younger brothers best friend. He is an awesome chef. I haven't been able to get down there yet but it's getting raves.
Check out the menu!
Might be a spot for you me and dove :)
http://www.laforestarestaurant.com

Bill Sussman

Reaction Score
My friend just opened a high end Italian place in Killingworth called La Foresta. Been open just a few days. He was my late younger brothers best friend. He is an awesome chef. I haven't been able to get down there yet but it's getting raves.
Check out the menu!

I have seen that sign up for a bit now. Thanks for letting me know it opened. Will go check it out

Reaction Score
I love to check out all those places but I am trying to lose a couple pounds. I am having a hard time losing weight.

Reaction Score
warbler13 said:
I love to check out all those places but I am trying to lose a couple pounds. I am having a hard time losing weight.

We also have a concurrent Tony Horton's workout thread going, so you can follow that one too. You could even partake in both threads - do some hard core workouts and some hard core pizza and just play for the tie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Check out the menu!

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely check it out; and as I posted in the other thread, sounds good for the Dove meet-up too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anyone had the pleasure of trying the BIG GREEN PIZZA TRUCK? Very good pie!
Oh yeah, we've been to a few parties with them and hired them a few other times ourselves. Quality experience all around--added bonus is that one of the guys who has shown up at the events where we've had them is a Deadhead and he always blasted some nice bootlegs while setting up. Love the gelato and espresso finish too.

Have been to a few gatherings with the red pizza wagon and did not think it was as good.

Reaction Score
I think the tough thing about taking a 7-4 project like Koumadje is that he won't advance very far along his development curve before the pros will be interested in taking a chance on him. Odds are you won't ever have any more than a raw college player.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If good Italian food has truly reached Killingworth, can world peace be far behind?

Reaction Score
I think the tough thing about taking a 7-4 project like Koumadje is that he won't advance very far along his development curve before the pros will be interested in taking a chance on him. Odds are you won't ever have any more than a raw college player.

You mean a "raw college player" who eats pizza in Connecticut???:oops:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Depends on where he gets his pizza.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
You mean a "raw college player" who eats pizza in Connecticut???:oops:

Just a bit of cross-thread humor. Nobody was discussing Koumadje in the thread about him, so I threw in a comment here (the one thread where, it was pointed out, we were able to stay on topic).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Does Koumadje have bad acne that made you think of pizza?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cr@p. NYT just gave Bufalina its highest rating, "Excellent."

Well, it was great when we could get there, and I hope at least some of you got a chance to try it after all my pimping here. Slim chance of getting in there now. Good for them, and obviously well-deserved imo, but they were already at capacity most times before this.

Damn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom