OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
East Haven so we ventured out to many pizza places for a few years…….what was the one somewhere near the East Haven/North Branfore years ago I'm thinking "Jerry's" or something…….[/QUOTE]

Mau, sounds like Jerry & Maria's. All pizza in E H is pretty good.
Did she know B Willie Smith band? All North Haven band from the 70s. They still play from time to time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's pizza.

Dough, tomatoey stuff, cheese, an oven and a cardboard box.

There are only so many ways you can throw that combination together - there's like a five-zillion way tie for 'best pizza joint in the world'.

David 76 is going to lynch you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
David 76 is going to lynch you.

Eh, blind fold him and you could serve him an English muffin with mozzarella and Ragu and he wouldn't know the difference.

Just wait until my "hamburger...it's just ground cow" and "knock it off, you knotheads, all beers pretty much taste the same" posts.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
It's pizza. Dough, tomatoey stuff, cheese, an oven and a cardboard box. There are only so many ways you can throw that combination together - there's like a five-zillion way tie for 'best pizza joint in the world'.

Don't forget the tiny plastic picnic tables that stop the cheese from sticking to the roof of the box. If pizza people listened to the naysayers like you and didn't try to innovate, we would all still be throwing out perfectly good cheese or trying to peel it off and avoid eating the cardboard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My dinner about 40% of the time between 18-24. Might need to give it a go tomorrow night for old time sake.

If you make it within the city limits of New Haven, half the people here would declare your English muffin the greatest pizza they've ever had.

Reaction Score
East Haven so we ventured out to many pizza places for a few years…….what was the one somewhere near the East Haven/North Branfore years ago I'm thinking "Jerry's" or something…….

Mau, sounds like Jerry & Maria's. All pizza in E H is pretty good.
Did she know B Willie Smith band? All North Haven band from the 70s. They still play from time to time.[/QUOTE]

I remember the B Willie Smith Band, can't believe they're still around…could've been Jerry's and Maria's!

Reaction Score
Eh, blind fold him and you could serve him an English muffin with mozzarella and Ragu and he wouldn't know the difference.

My dinner on Saturday night... I personally find the Ragu to have an off-putting flavor and texture that clashes with the nooks and crannies of the muffin. For me Prego is the key. But I'll save the rest of my secrets for the English Muffin Pizza Thread.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I prefer bagel pizza to English muffin pizza, and Abbot's Pizza in Venice Beach is by far the best I've had of that style.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Don't forget the tiny plastic picnic tables that stop the cheese from sticking to the roof of the box. If pizza people listened to the naysayers like you and didn't try to innovate, we would all still be throwing out perfectly good cheese or trying to peel it off and avoid eating the cardboard.

I'd like them to perfect something for the underside of the pizza. Nothing worse than having a nice crispy thin crust pie become limp and soggy from sitting 10 minutes in a steaming box.

I was talking about pizza there.

Reaction Score
Rossini's, rossini's, rossini's (in Cheshire ). I would put their best pie ahead of the New Haven three. There, I said it.

Lived on Rossini’s for years as the coaches from my youth soccer teams always took the kids there for the end of the year party. I guess that happens when just about every coach was 1 generation away from the old country. I also went to Roseland as a kid because two of my cousins who I spent a lot of time with, lived nearby. The three of us would get a small pie on the way back from watching 10 AM Derby football games (way before night games became vogue).

First, Rossini’s and Roseland are well behind the big 3 from New Haven. Second, amazing what parents allowed kids to of back then. I would disappear for hours, walk/bike several miles away, and never had a problem. Now, I don’t let my kids out of the yard without a drone following them.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'd like them to perfect something for the underside of the pizza. Nothing worse than having a nice crispy thin crust pie become limp and soggy from sitting 10 minutes in a steaming box.

Its a real issue with thin crust pizza's. It's not the same animal once you get it home and its been steaming in a box for 20-30 minutes. You almost have to eat it there.
The one thing Ive seen out of some serious pizza aficionados when doing take out is they will order their Pizza slightly under done, and then take it home and finish it in the oven at high temperature for a couple minutes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Its a real issue with thin crust pizza's. It's not the same animal once you get it home and its been steaming in a box for 20-30 minutes. You almost have to eat it there.
The one thing Ive seen out of some serious pizza aficionados when doing take out is they will order their Pizza slightly under done, and then take it home and finish it in the oven at high temperature for a couple minutes.
Yep, order it "half-baked" and finish it off at home is the best solution imo. The other option is to order it well done and with light cheese; I find that this prevents it from getting soggy.

The worst offenders are the insulated pizza boxes, which continue to steam the pizza once inside. The classic, old style pizza boxes like Pepe's and Modern use are the best of a less-than-optimal situation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you can just put it in a skillet for a minute and it crisps right up.

Of course, English muffin pizza comes out of the toaster oven perfectly crunchy every time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think you can just put it in a skillet for a minute and it crisps right up.

Which is all well and good, but unless you have a big duckoff skillet, that's too much work. If I'm paying for a pie, I want a finished product.

Reaction Score
Yep, order it "half-baked" and finish it off at home is the best solution imo. The other option is to order it well done and with light cheese; I find that this prevents it from getting soggy.

The worst offenders are the insulated pizza boxes, which continue to steam the pizza once inside. The classic, old style pizza boxes like Pepe's and Modern use are the best of a less-than-optimal situation.

The wax type paper Verdolini's used to use with the thick round cardboard bottom worked great……someone else still uses that? I think Berkshire Pub in Torrington does that…….

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been there, trial and error, but have been making pies on the grill for years and the way I do it works great...For the best pizza on the grill you need the 600 or 700 degree heat inside a gas grill with the grill lid closed or it won't cook right, but as you correctly stated with the burner flame being directly under the stone the bottom of the pie will be charcoal black before the cheese/toppings on top is done. Two things you need to do to get that corrected and the direct heat from the burners deflected and reflected away from the bottom of the stone ...#1) aluminum foil....#2) a 2nd pizza stone. First lay down a sheet of aluminum foil directly on the area of the grill grate (and ONLY on the area of the grill grate that the stone covers) that pizza stone #1 will cover. Next, get a 2nd pizza stone that preferably has legs (some do have short stubby ceramic legs) and put it directly on top of the first stone. What's important here is an inch or so of air space between the two stones. The foil on the very bottom will reflect the direct radiant heat off the bottom stone and the air space between the two stones will act to somewhat insulate the top stone from getting too hot. This set up also helps convective heat transfer up the front, back and sides of the grate that isn't covered by anything and into the top of the grill hood which is over the cheese and toppings. For pizzas to come out right you need fast cooking times (10 minutes) with high heat (700 degrees), lowering the heat (and lengthening the cooking time) to keep the bottom from turning to charcoal will only give you a soggy, doughy pie that will taste like a toasted cheese sandwich. Use the foil and the 2nd stone and you won't have to turn the heat down, your pies will be better than Pepe's...well maybe not.
Wow, that's some process. Definitely sounds like it would address those issues. What I have been doing is taking the stone off the grill in between pies, turning down the heat a bit, and then starting it off a little lower than I normally would. I keep it closed for around 4 minutes and then check that the top is almost done, and then I crank it up again to let the bottom finish. Within two more minutes or less the crust is dark brown at the edges and crispy underneath, but not charred.

But I like the process you've described and will keep an eye out for a second stone with legs.

Reaction Score
Outside of New Haven...
Papa's in Milford
Tolli's East Haven
Rossini's Cheshire
Roseland Derby
Zuppardi's West Haven

The difference between pizza and apizza are: thin crust, fresh ingredients and of course "black bottom love". You know that crisp blackened crust.

Reaction Score
Been there, trial and error, but have been making pies on the grill for years and the way I do it works great...For the best pizza on the grill you need the 600 or 700 degree heat inside a gas grill with the grill lid closed or it won't cook right, but as you correctly stated with the burner flame being directly under the stone the bottom of the pie will be charcoal black before the cheese/toppings on top is done. Two things you need to do to get that corrected and the direct heat from the burners deflected and reflected away from the bottom of the stone ...#1) aluminum foil....#2) a 2nd pizza stone. First lay down a sheet of aluminum foil directly on the area of the grill grate (and ONLY on the area of the grill grate that the stone covers) that pizza stone #1 will cover. Next, get a 2nd pizza stone that preferably has legs (some do have short stubby ceramic legs) and put it directly on top of the first stone. What's important here is an inch or so of air space between the two stones. The foil on the very bottom will reflect the direct radiant heat off the bottom stone and the air space between the two stones will act to somewhat insulate the top stone from getting too hot. This set up also helps convective heat transfer up the front, back and sides of the grate that isn't covered by anything and into the top of the grill hood which is over the cheese and toppings. For pizzas to come out right you need fast cooking times (10 minutes) with high heat (700 degrees), lowering the heat (and lengthening the cooking time) to keep the bottom from turning to charcoal will only give you a soggy, doughy pie that will taste like a toasted cheese sandwich. Use the foil and the 2nd stone and you won't have to turn the heat down, your pies will be better than Pepe's...well maybe not.

My favorite pizza place BTW is Zuppardis, the best sausage and mushroom pie in the state IMO, Modern a close 2nd. Have been going to Pepe's for many, many years and it definitely has gone down a notch last 10 years or so. Same thing for Sally's, and not surprised it's for sale.

Been making grilled pizzas for years...we have a annual pizza contest with lots of pizzas and beers!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUAnd this OTE="Fishy, post: 1017544, member: 38"]It's pizza.

Dough, tomatoey stuff, chee, an oven and acardboard box.
It's pizza.

Dough, tomatoey stuff, cheese, an oven and a cardboard box.
[/QUOTE

And thus began the beginning of the end of civilization!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
[QUAnd this OTE="Fishy, post: 1017544, member: 38"]It's pizza.

Dough, tomatoey stuff, chee, an oven and acardboard box.

Clean that up, David. I know you're excited but...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Convection toaster for 5 minute works great to stiffen up pizza. Can't say the same about the junk...:eek:

Reaction Score
Wow, that's some process. Definitely sounds like it would address those issues. What I have been doing is taking the stone off the grill in between pies, turning down the heat a bit, and then starting it off a little lower than I normally would. I keep it closed for around 4 minutes and then check that the top is almost done, and then I crank it up again to let the bottom finish. Within two more minutes or less the crust is dark brown at the edges and crispy underneath, but not charred.

But I like the process you've described and will keep an eye out for a second stone with legs.
If you can't find one with legs you can go with two flat ones and get some smallish ceramic blocks and put 4 or 5 blocks in between them. Just google "small ceramic blocks" and you will find them. I use a weber grill with 3 burners, my pizza stones are rectangular and cover 75% of the grate area but there is still enough open grate area to allow convective heat flow up the sides, back and front, and into the hood area. Actually there is a grill manufacturer "The Big Green Egg" that makes a baffled pizza stone setup but I don't think the BGE grill is gas. I think it's wood or briquets only which I don't like, doesn't get as hot as a gas grill and you can't get consistent heat for hours like you can with gas. The other thing is the BGE baffled stone is so well made to change the direct heat to indirect heat that it might not be able to get indirect heat temps up to 600 or 700 degrees like you can with a gas grill. One thing to watch out for with my setup is which convection currents are hotter, the front or the back, which ever one is hotter will of course cook a little faster so you will need to check every three minutes and spin the pie front to back. Good Luck!!!!

Reaction Score
Outside of New Haven...
Papa's in Milford
Tolli's East Haven
Rossini's Cheshire
Roseland Derby
Zuppardi's West Haven

The difference between pizza and apizza are: thin crust, fresh ingredients and of course "black bottom love". You know that crisp blackened crust.

Any recommendation in Madison, Clinton or Guilford?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any recommendation in Madison, Clinton or Guilford?
Grand Apizza in Clinton, and soon to be in Madison, is originally from Fair Haven and is decent "almost there" pie.

Bufalina in Guilford stands with any of the best imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom