OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 29 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I'm live in New Haven county & love all of the New Haven choices… If you're looking for a take out pie & you're in the area, try Grand Apizza in Bethany (rte 63)… Always order a thin crust… Plain cheese, pepperoni. meatball, sausage & mushrooms, Buffalo chicken, broccoli rab… All good choices… You won't be disappointed…

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Tony's Pizza in Willimantic!

Actually, I'm sure that place is long gone, but that was the family place growing up and I remember it fondly. I was 14 before I knew that pizza doesn't usually have little crustless squares in the middle.

Unfortunately, Tony's is still there. Still the greasiest pie on the planet! Not a fan!

Willington Pizza has gone downhill. Ever since they started using the conveyor belts, it isn't the same. Camille's in Tolland is giving them a run for their money.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow, when did 7 Seas close? It's been a while since we went there but I drive by the place every day and never noticed it was closed. I have gotten the occasional square from New York Pizza and it was good, but I think there was a different pizza place there a while back that also sold squares that I seem to remember linking more.
A month or two ago. There's a new sign already and notice that a Something (Veronica, Victoria, something like that) Family Restaurant is coming soon.

For my money, the best pizza in the state (outside of New Haven) is Rossini's in East Hampton, Fireside Brick Oven in Gales Ferry, Giovanni's in Glastonbury, and First & Last (Middletown location is better than the Simsbury one).

Reaction Score
A month or two ago. There's a new sign already and notice that a Something (Veronica, Victoria, something like that) Family Restaurant is coming soon.

For my money, the best pizza in the state (outside of New Haven) is Rossini's in East Hampton, Fireside Brick Oven in Gales Ferry, Giovanni's in Glastonbury, and First & Last (Middletown location is better than the Simsbury one).

First and Last in Plainville is the best of all the chains locations Husky 25........never had Rossini's in Easthampton but did in Cheshire and also Farmington when it was there (now Joey Garlics) long time since Cheshire but Farmington was great, not so much now as Joey G's........

Had Giovanni's not bad but not nearly as good as New Haven os alike - Briccos flatbreads across the street are better, especially after a few cocktails at Rooftop!! LOL

Reaction Score
Not sure if I mentioned this already. Rossini's pizza in Cheshire is good. Try the sausage.

Reaction Score
Has anyone had Papa Johns? How good is it compared to Pizza Hut/Dominos?
That question is only appropriate in Chicago, where they have absolutely no idea what good pizza really is.

Reaction Score
UHart's dining hall pizza is actually really good this year. 20x better than last year.

Reaction Score
I was raised on greek-style pizza..... it's what I measure all other pizza against

I'm with you all the way. No pizza is better better than a great Greek style pizza. For me it isn't even close. Growing up in New London I loved Rialto Pizza on corner of Broad and Wiliams Sts. It's long gone but I still hold it up as the measuring stick. Ocean Ave Pizza is still pretty good. The best these days is probably Marblehead House in MA. I want some---now!!

Reaction Score
23 pages and nothing from southeastern CT

I grew up on the Shoreline and my fave was always Ocean Pizza in New London... They changed something along the way though, and the last few times I got pizza from there it just wasn't the same.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
Anddd we've resurrected the sleeping giant. I had Pepe's in Fairfield the other week - big let down from a usually good Pepe's pie even from the Fairfield location. Just had Colony Grill in Fairfield this weekend - not a fan though. Too greasy for me.

The difference is the stones they cook them on. I use to work at a pizza place and the owners would always say the stones remember every pizza they've ever cooked, the ones on Wooster street are over 100 years old and as you've experienced, make a huge difference

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm with you all the way. No pizza is better better than a great Greek style pizza. For me it isn't even close. Growing up in New London I loved Rialto Pizza on corner of Broad and Wiliams Sts. It's long gone but I still hold it up as the measuring stick. Ocean Ave Pizza is still pretty good. The best these days is probably Marblehead House in MA. I want some---now!!

Of course this is just my opinion, but Greek style pizza is inferior in every way to it's "Neapolitan" counterpart. To much dough, far greasier, and because of the grease, the bottom doesn't char appropriately. On top of that, Some restaurants don't even offer crushed red pepper, oregano, or garlic.

Don't get me wrong, it is more than edible. An average pizza is light years better than the best American Chinese food, but pizza still has a hierarchy within its available styles. In (women's) basketball terms, Greek pizza is like 2013-14 Notre Dame. They may be #2, but UConn beats them 99 times out of 100.

Reaction Score
An average pizza is light years better than the best American Chinese food,

I can't believe I'm even wading into this thread, but other than your opinion what is this possibly based on?

Reaction Score
Speaking of grease, I forgot to mention the pizza that I bought from a lunch truck at Electric Boat in Groton from about 1987-1992. I had it for lunch every day unless the truck didn't show up. I think it was LA Pizza, but I'm not positive about that. It was sheet pizza and the pieces were about 5"x5". We called it "squeeze your own pizza" because the first thing you had to do was fold it in half and squeeze out a bunch of grease. I miss that pizza truck.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm even wading into this thread, but other than your opinion what is this possibly based on?
Umm. Let's see...

...The way my taste buds react in sending and immediately prior to when the bolus (or chewed food) enters my esophagus. Is that the answer you were looking for?

Reaction Score

I cannot wait until my favorite Greek-Style pizza, Max Pizza, Bristol, reopens. It is currently under renovation due to a fire.

I have family that lives in New York, Boston and Florida and every time they visit all they want is a pizza from Max's. They cannot get anything like it where they live. I am convinced CT is the best pizza state in the nation and I don't think it is even close.

Max's has amazing pizza and the place has been a staple in Bristol for over 35 years.

Reaction Score

Grew up and came back to the area. Ocean Pizza seems to have remained a good value restaurant. My favorite though in the area was The Recovery Room. I do remember mostly Greek style in SE CT. Midway Pizza and Pizza Palace in Groton have been around for a very
long time. There was an Angies Pizza(not the Mystic one)half way up Long Hill Road, but that's long gone.

Reaction Score
Of course this is just my opinion, but Greek style pizza is inferior in every way to it's "Neapolitan" counterpart. To much dough, far greasier, and because of the grease, the bottom doesn't char appropriately. On top of that, Some restaurants don't even offer crushed red pepper, oregano, or garlic.

Don't get me wrong, it is more than edible. An average pizza is light years better than the best American Chinese food, but pizza still has a hierarchy within its available styles. In (women's) basketball terms, Greek pizza is like 2013-14 Notre Dame. They may be #2, but UConn beats them 99 times out of 100.

Too much cheese, I think steams the dough.

Reaction Score
Umm. Let's see...

...The way my taste buds react in sending and immediately prior to when the bolus (or chewed food) enters my esophagus. Is that the answer you were looking for?

More or less what I expected from you.

Husky25

Reaction Score
More or less what I expected from you.
What do you want me to say? It's my opinion (and I said as much)!!!:rolleyes:

Feel free to form your own. Geesh...

Reaction Score
My favorite though in the area was The Recovery Room.

My wife loves the Spinach and Gorgonzola white pizza from The Recovery Room in New London. She dragged me to Avanti's in Mystic (near Sea Swirl) recently because she remembered an onion pizza that she used to get there was great, with the onion on top of the cheese. Unfortunately, they no longer make it the same way apparently so she was disappointed. I got a hamburg pizza there which was ok but not great.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not to hate on greek style pizza, but for me it never makes it past really good. Teddy's in S. Windsor is pretty solid. But the best apizza beats the best greek to me. But there are some crappy greek and italian pies out there. I was just in Chicago and had a deep-dish. It was fine and tasted good, but I couldn't disagree with my brother when he called it lasagne.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not to hate on greek style pizza, but for me it never makes it past really good. Teddy's in S. Windsor is pretty solid. But the best apizza beats the best greek to me. But there are some crappy greek and italian pies out there. I was just in Chicago and had a deep-dish. It was fine and tasted good, but I couldn't disagree with my brother when he called it lasagne.
I was watching Jon Stewart not so long ago, who called it a casserole. Neither he, nor your brother are incorrect.

Reaction Score
Village pizza in Old wethersfield is a great Greek style pizza. Same owners for 30+ years. Grew up on the pizza and it tastes the same as when I was a kid. Live in SoCal now and god I miss good CT pizza.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom