OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 76 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
May have been mentioned here already (didn't have time to leaf through 69 pages of comments) but when in Chicago, head to the Wicker Park area and try Piece. Owned by the Jacobs Brothers of New Haven, they serve up New Haven-style pizza, right down to the same type of trays used at Sally's. Superb. www.piecechicago.com

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
May have been mentioned here already (didn't have time to leaf through 69 pages of comments) but when in Chicago, head to the Wicker Park area and try Piece. Owned by the Jacobs Brothers of New Haven, they serve up New Haven-style pizza, right down to the same type of trays used at Sally's. Superb. www.piecechicago.com

Good to see real pizza in a town that calls a lasagna casserole a pizza.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Become... as in there are "New Haven style apizza" places around the country these days.
Agreed!

Reaction Score
I live a half mile from Piece, it's probably my favorite thin crust in the city. In theory they do New Haven pizza but it's still not even close to the real thing.

Reaction Score
Fake news. Including Rhode Island alone disqualifies it.

Mods, please delete.

I do a fair amount of fishing at the Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts. One of my friends is from RI and he was in love with a pizza place near Quabbin that was mediocre at best. He raved about the place even tough I am sure we have 6 better places in Glastonbury alone.

Reaction Score
Stars & Stripes Grinder in Middletown will be adding pizza to the menu. Found that out today. Obviously the name will change to Stars & Stripes Pizza. The gas line is going in shortly for the oven. No target date yet.

Reaction Score
Stars & Stripes Grinder in Middletown will be adding pizza to the menu. Found that out today. Obviously the name will change to Stars & Stripes Pizza. The gas line is going in shortly for the oven. No target date yet.

Interesting... I had a chix parm grinder there once and it was very good. But I thought the place had a pretty creepy vibe.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Non-brick oven? NEXT.

Reaction Score
Lol RI pathetic

There is a small handful of ok spots in providence. None in Newport or anywhere else in the state. Worse yet, that "belt" includes Fall River, MA. I've had the "best" pizza in Fall River. My in-laws live there. If we come to visit and they ask if we want take out, my wife will tell them "anything but pizza" . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So what is the deal with RI and MA? Have there been efforts to bring quality Neapolitan apizza there that have failed because there is not enough demand? Do the RI people, if given a choice, genuinely prefer the abomination they call "party pizza"? Do the MA people prefer something mediocre? Or have they simply not been exposed to the real deal?

Reaction Score
South of New Jersey and foreign countries equal risky pizza. I ordered Pizza Hut in Costa Rica for my kids a few times. It taste exactly the way it tastes here - like garbage.
I think all the major chains came from the mid-west, they don't do well here.

Reaction Score
Great little place out in Winsted called Monaco's Ristorante. Pizza is amazing. Fresh dough daily and the freshest ingredients. Very good entrees too. The peppercorn steak is better than any steak at Ruth's, Max's, Fleming's etc.

Reaction Score
So what is the deal with RI and MA? Have there been efforts to bring quality Neapolitan apizza there that have failed because there is not enough demand? Do the RI people, if given a choice, genuinely prefer the abomination they call "party pizza"? Do the MA people prefer something mediocre? Or have they simply not been exposed to the real deal?

Interesting questions. How about the native New Yorker who is convinced that NY pizza is the best, simply because it's from NY. Large slices of orange color that drip a similar color grease. They are good, but nothing special. To the New Yorker they are the shizzle, and it's not even open to debate.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I think all the major chains came from the mid-west, they don't do well here.
Sir, are you trying to say that Pizza Hut, etc. is "good" or "well" in areas of the country?
I remember going to Maryland about ten plus years ago and my buddy invited my family out for pizza. It was one of those major chains but he and his family consumed it like it was New haven's finest. I couldn't believe it. Ketchup , cheese and toast

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Interesting questions. How about the native New Yorker who is convinced that NY pizza is the best, simply because it's from NY. Large slices of orange color that drip a similar color grease. They are good, but nothing special. To the New Yorker they are the shizzle, and it's not even open to debate.

Theyre idiots.

Next question .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's also curious, but you can also find very good pizza in New York, so obviously there is a demand for it, and there are people who appreciate the difference. The thing that I don't understand about RI especially is how a place with so many Italians can be such a pizza wasteland.

Reaction Score
That's also curious, but you can also find very good pizza in New York, so obviously there is a demand for it, and there are people who appreciate the difference. The thing that I don't understand about RI especially is how a place with so many Italians can be such a pizza wasteland.

Providence Italian food < New Haven Italian food. Not really debatable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Providence Italian food < New Haven Italian food. Not really debatable.
Again, I agree. But the gap is a canyon when it comes to pizza.

I guess my question is, if you opened a New Haven style pizza place in Rhode Island, would it succeed?

Reaction Score
Haven't been to the best of the best in CT but in my neighborhood had the opportunity to pass by Victoria's setting up for lunch about a week ago. After a conversation with the owners decided to order dinner later that day. As mentioned on Yelp they're just getting up and running and really didn't have an expanded menu. Regardless they were willing to create a great salad for my wife (but enough for all 3 of us) along with the pie we ordered. The pizza was also very good one of the best I've had and it's a definite return for me. Some nice family places in town but this is one you go to for the pizza. Wood fired and great ingredients.

Victoria’s Wood Fired Pizza & Catering - Bethel, CT

Reaction Score
Again, I agree. But the gap is a canyon when it comes to pizza.

I guess my question is, if you opened a New Haven style pizza place in Rhode Island, would it succeed?
Doesn't matter where you are, people love great pizza. Is New Haven Italian food really better than Providence Italian food now?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter where you are, people love great pizza. Is New Haven Italian food really better than Providence Italian food now?
In fairness, I haven't eaten Italian food in Providence in a very long time; I just find that I generally don't seek out Italian food when I travel (except to Italy) because I know I've got it pretty good here and am not likely to do better.

I would agree about the pizza, but there is a wide amount of disagreement about what is "great." I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be turned off by the char ("That's burnt!"), the thinness and/or the price, as compared with the garbage pizzas of the world. I just wonder if you could convert enough people once they are exposed to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom