OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 74 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not a flat enough crust.
Never been the case for me. Thinner than Modern and way, way, way thinner than my most recent visit to Pepe's. Haven't been to Sally's in at least a decade so can't really comment on them. BAR is the only one I'd say is thinner. And it's not better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just googled that place and holy crap those look delicious... Is it constantly packed?
Yes and it's tiny (11 seats I think), but they take reservations.

Reaction Score
Yes and it's tiny (11 seats I think), but they take reservations.

They do takeout, right? I'm usually on the Shoreline on Sundays and wouldn't mind picking up a road pizza...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Never been the case for me. Thinner than Modern and way, way, way thinner than my most recent visit to Pepe's. Haven't been to Sally's in at least a decade so can't really comment on them. BAR is the only one I'd say is thinner. And it's not better.
Never been there just looked up the pictures on google. I may try this place out if it is as thin as promised.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They do takeout, right? I'm usually on the Shoreline on Sundays and wouldn't mind picking up a road pizza...

Yes they do. I am pretty religious about having it there because I love the whole deal, and I never really consider it for takeout, much to my wife's frustration because she would be fine with it. Truth be told the leftovers are great and the one or two times I've had their takeout it was, too. But I recommend eating there.

Never been there just looked up the pictures on google. I may try this place out if it is as thin as promised.

They only make smalls, all well done.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yes they do. I am pretty religious about having it there because I love the whole deal, and I never really consider it for takeout, much to my wife's frustration because she would be fine with it. Truth be told the leftovers are great and the one or two times I've had their takeout it was, too. But I recommend eating there.

They only make smalls, all well done.
Well done is the way it should be.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
PS: They are closed on Sundays.

Reaction Score
So I have some time off and was thinking of taking a day and hitting a few spots. Been to Pepe's, Sally's, Modern a million times. Never been to Roseland or Little Rendezvous.

Plan a trip for me. Pick three spots. I'm coming from around Hartford.

Reaction Score
So I have some time off and was thinking of taking a day and hitting a few spots. Been to Pepe's, Sally's, Modern a million times. Never been to Roseland or Little Rendezvous.

Go to Zuppardi's in West Haven. Very underrated. Sausage pizza is fantastic, but they are known for their freshly shucked clam pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

If you add Bufalina to those two that would be three very different and very good pies. Bufalina doesn't do lunch and I don't think Roseland does, either, but Little Rendezvous does so you should probably start in Meriden.

In my experience Roseland is a much more filling pie, so I'd choose your next destination whether you want to finish with the filling one, or do it second; and then Bufalina in the other slot.

Shame you're not eating meat because the meats at Bufalina are divine and uncommon. Speck (my favorite, and the star of my Peperoncini pie last night), salame piccante, duck prosciutto and even their bacon (which beautifully adorned the all-around favorite Gamberi pie last night) are all excellent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Go to Zuppardi's in West Haven. Very underrated. Sausage pizza is fantastic, but they are known for their freshly shucked clam pizza.
Agree, Zupp's is great.

I guess my only issue with the "almost" New Haven stars like Zupp's, Palm Beach, Tolli's and Grand is that they are exactly that--i.e., almost as good as the best New Haven places. The thing I like about places like Roseland, Little Rendezvous and Bufalina is that they each have a slightly different twist on the classic New Haven style.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For someone who has only dipped his toe in this thread - talk about home pizza making at all, or is that a different topic?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For someone who has only dipped his toe in this thread - talk about home pizza making at all, or is that a different topic?
I use these on a pizza stone on my grill with great results:

FullSizeRender-12.jpg

Reaction Score
Bufalina tonight for my youngest daughter's birthday. I think it's the fifth year in a row that she's chosen it for her birthday dinner. I've been there dozens of times and it has never, ever remotely disappointed.

I think tonight was the best ever. But I think I say that every time. But tonight was in any event.

I'm ready to say it's the best, period.

My wife and I moved out of New Haven to the Shoreline three years ago and somehow this is the first I'm hearing about this place. I'll have to check it out in the next few weeks.

We mostly make pizza at home thanks to how cheap it is. We're partial to the cast iron skillet method using Trader Joe's dough and mozz, some times their sauce too. Sprinkle basil on top and some times a few toppings but I'm a purist - I like my pizza plain. You make sure that baby is in the oven long enough to be well-done and it's really, really good for homemade stuff.

Reaction Score
Agree, Zupp's is great.

I guess my only issue with the "almost" New Haven stars like Zupp's, Palm Beach, Tolli's and Grand is that they are exactly that--i.e., almost as good as the best New Haven places. The thing I like about places like Roseland, Little Rendezvous and Bufalina is that they each have a slightly different twist on the classic New Haven style.

I do agree with you, but I like the fact that places like Zuppardi's specialize in the clam and sausage pizza. My family prefers Sally's because their meat toppings just seem fresher, but when it comes to Zuppardi's, they make the sausage right there. Also clams are freshly shucked. I wouldn't really choose them over Sally's or Pepe's otherwise.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I do agree with you, but I like the fact that places like Zuppardi's specialize in the clam and sausage pizza. My family prefers Sally's because their meat toppings just seem fresher, but when it comes to Zuppardi's, they make the sausage right there. Also clams are freshly shucked. I wouldn't really choose them over Sally's or Pepe's otherwise.
No argument there. And given that I haven't been to Sally's in at least a decade and that my last visit to Pepe's was sub-par (for Pepe's), I'm perfectly happy with the "Hertzes" of the New Haven pizza world, who try harder because they have to.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife and I moved out of New Haven to the Shoreline three years ago and somehow this is the first I'm hearing about this place. I'll have to check it out in the next few weeks.

Make a reservation. Get a pie for each of you and a salad to share and you should have at least a couple slices to bring home. Quartino or two of wine. Listen to the great tunes and watch the scene. Chat up the people sitting next to you, and the great people running the joint. It's really one of my favorite things in the world to do.

Reaction Score
My last post on dieting. Google ketogenic diet. A lot of interesting research. Many people are beginning to think saturated fat got a bad rap. I am getting blood work done to make sure everything is kosher. I mostly eat nuts, lean meats, coconut oil, leafy vegetables and full-fat dairy. I don't need to lose weight, I just feel infinitely better physically. Steady, consistent energy, no crashes, much better digestion.

Back to pizza. I think Fire Engine Pizza in BPT is another joint well worth trying out.

Fire Engine is very good if a bit pricey; but you can always head to Matty's Corner for budget beers and real characters before/after.

Reaction Score
Fire Engine is very good if a bit pricey; but you can always head to Matty's Corner for budget beers and real characters before/after.

Have you ever been to Beverly Pizza (right down the road)? Hugely underrated, IMO. Quite possibly my favorite crust, as long as its slightly well done. FWIW, I had a 9.5/10 slice from Pepe's Fairfield last night. When they are on, hard to beat.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Beverly Pizza (right down the road)? Hugely underrated, IMO. Quite possibly my favorite crust, as long as its slightly well done. FWIW, I had a 9.5/10 slice from Pepe's Fairfield last night. When they are on, hard to beat.
Pepe's sells slices? The New Haven one doesn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom