OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 77 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Interesting questions. How about the native New Yorker who is convinced that NY pizza is the best, simply because it's from NY. Large slices of orange color that drip a similar color grease. They are good, but nothing special. To the New Yorker they are the shizzle, and it's not even open to debate.

This can be both true and false. If the NYer is referring to any of the (modifier + Rays) style pies, that's one thing. If they actually mean Lombardis (or DiFara or similar), that's quite another.

Reaction Score
In fairness, I haven't eaten Italian food in Providence in a very long time; I just find that I generally don't seek out Italian food when I travel (except to Italy) because I know I've got it pretty good here and am not likely to do better.

I would agree about the pizza, but there is a wide amount of disagreement about what is "great." I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be turned off by the char ("That's burnt!"), the thinness and/or the price, as compared with the garbage pizzas of the world. I just wonder if you could convert enough people once they are exposed to it.
I have heard a couple of people complain about the pizza being burnt and almost inedible, I think that is an extremely small segment of people who have the palate of 5 year olds. The price of New Haven pizza is not at all expensive, it's affordable to downright cheap for what you get. I think the style would do well anywhere if it's done right. The New Haven style pizza in my city is a goldmine and it isn't as good as the real stuff.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So I just had a better Chicago style lasagna casserole pizza in Muskegon Michigan than I've ever had in Chicago and I've had most of the biggies there.

It wasn't pizza but it was damn good.

Place is called " the handsome hobo"

Delicious.
.The wings were killer too.

KMZe39X.jpg

Reaction Score
So I just had a better Chicago style lasagna casserole pizza in Muskegon Michigan than I've ever had in Chicago and I've had most of the biggies there.

It wasn't pizza but it was damn good.

Place is called " the handsome hobo"

Delicious.
.The wings were killer too.

KMZe39X.jpg
From your blurry arse picture it looks like basically every deep dish pizza out here. Deep dish isn't nearly as bad as many people make it out to be, I rarely eat it but always enjoy it.

Reaction Score
So what is the deal with RI and MA? Have there been efforts to bring quality Neapolitan apizza there that have failed because there is not enough demand? Do the RI people, if given a choice, genuinely prefer the abomination they call "party pizza"? Do the MA people prefer something mediocre? Or have they simply not been exposed to the real deal?

This is a great question and I have asked that question to people in the area, acquaintances and alike. Thoughts of grabbing a good spot and hiring a good CT style pizza maker have run rampant in my mind, whether a small sports bar with pizza or whatever. The scary thing is many of these people really like that thick awful pizza they serve here Italian style or even the many Greek pizza places. You know you could go crazy because it would be a fad for sure but can it last in this "thick loving" environment? I'm not sold it would. There are those who market themselves up her as "NY style pizza" but are well short of so many of the variables of good pie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is a great question and I have asked that question to people in the area, acquaintances and alike. Thoughts of grabbing a good spot and hiring a good CT style pizza maker have run rampant in my mind, whether a small sports bar with pizza or whatever. The scary thing is many of these people really like that thick awful pizza they serve here Italian style or even the many Greek pizza places. You know you could go crazy because it would be a fad for sure but can it last in this "thick loving" environment? I'm not sold it would. There are those who market themselves up her as "NY style pizza" but are well short of so many of the variables of good pie.
I'm thinking Matunuck/Wakefield area.

Reaction Score
So what is the deal with RI and MA? Have there been efforts to bring quality Neapolitan apizza there that have failed because there is not enough demand? Do the RI people, if given a choice, genuinely prefer the abomination they call "party pizza"? Do the MA people prefer something mediocre? Or have they simply not been exposed to the real deal?
Saw that Pepe's opened in Chestnut Hill. They must be crushing it there

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's not like there is no good pizza in MA. Lots of brick oven type places opening up. As good as what I remember of NH? No. But pretty good.

RI people do seem to like that abomination. I live right on the border and my daughter goes to school in RI so we have many friends there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw that Pepe's opened in Chestnut Hill. They must be crushing it there

It's not like there is no good pizza in MA. Lots of brick oven type places opening up. As good as what I remember of NH? No. But pretty good.

Well I guess this will be a good test to see if it takes there. Please report back if you check any of them out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well I guess this will be a good test to see if it takes there. Please report back if you check any of them out.

I've had one that is wood fired in my town since before I moved here in 2003. It's very popular. All organic ingredients etc. They have ice cream too, and Tom Brady has given his stamp of approval.

The other place is newer, and is coal fired, and seems to be doing quite well. Pizza is pretty solid, and is closer to NH style than the first place. I'll be back.

Reaction Score
This can be both true and false. If the NYer is referring to any of the (modifier + Rays) style pies, that's one thing. If they actually mean Lombardis (or DiFara or similar), that's quite another.

I am referring to the generic NY slice that is available throughout the city.

Attachments

• 76b83d0b197004682b3ae7b2a8fb5464.jpg
    76b83d0b197004682b3ae7b2a8fb5464.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 64
Reaction Score
We had a NY style pizza in Columbus, Ohio last week.

Several of the people I came with from Buffalo hated it.

I asked why.

They said, they like the thick bready pizza, and they like sweet sauce.

And this is why, folks, good pizza doesn't exist in some places. It's not that people don't know how to make good pizza, it's that many people don't like good pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And this is why, folks, good pizza doesn't exist in some places. It's not that people don't know how to make good pizza, it's that many people don't like good pizza.
This is why I am curious about the RI shore area around Charlestown. There are more and more CT license plates there every year, apparently many of them belonging to CT people who have bought and/or built second homes there. There is enough "upscale" demand there to keep both the Matunuck Oyster Bar and Two Ten Oyster Bar packed all summer, but I don't know how they do the other nine months of the year. Perhaps that would be a gauge of whether there might be enough year-round demand. Different food, obviously; but likely a lot of overlap with the same types of diners.

Reaction Score

RI people do seem to like that abomination. I live right on the border and my daughter goes to school in RI so we have many friends there.
Give me 5 good places in the Boston area. I do like Max and Leo's in Newton Corner and the Fenway area.

Reaction Score
Not sure how Chestnut Hill will be....but the Pepe's in W. Hartford does not compare to the NH original.
Have been a few times. Not as good as New Haven but it still does the trick. Better than most anything else up here.

Reaction Score

I spent 6+ years in and around Boston. I worked in the financial district and frequented the North End for some great Italian food. As good as the Italian food was, the pizza was awful for the most part. People who grew up there swear by Pizzeria Regina, but my wife and I thought it was awful. soggy, rubbery crust, greasy cheese and canned toppings. The squirrel turds that they called sausage was a flavorless mess. The only decent pizza we found was at Santarpio's in East Boston. Still, it pales in comparison to what we can get here.

Reaction Score
I spent 6+ years in and around Boston. I worked in the financial district and frequented the North End for some great Italian food. As good as the Italian food was, the pizza was awful for the most part. People who grew up there swear by Pizzeria Regina, but my wife and I thought it was awful. soggy, rubbery crust, greasy cheese and canned toppings. The squirrel turds that they called sausage was a flavorless mess. The only decent pizza we found was at Santarpio's in East Boston. Still, it pales in comparison to what we can get here.
O.K. so at least you agree with me.

Reaction Score

Since my son moved to Boston, I have been looking for good pizza. Pizzeria Regina was highly recommended, but I have to agree, it was awful. I expected it to be similar to Modern Apizza but I was very wrong. I would rather get a slice from a food court in Dallas than ever go back there.

Reaction Score
Not sure how Chestnut Hill will be....but the Pepe's in W. Hartford does not compare to the NH original.
True on West Hartford but I was never as impressed as most with PEPE's . Favorite pizza of all time is Geno's East in Chicago deep dish pizza.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom