OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 69 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I wondered the same but after reading a few times for context I'm pretty sure they ate at Pepe's.

FWIW I had a similar experience last time I ate at Pepe's. It wouldn't say it was awful, but not excellent, either. And for the hassle, it better damn well be excellent.

Then Im inclined to agree with him and you.

Those 20 pies we had brought to work at the the end of the last week were absolutely on the whole more doughy than normal. a couple were old school but most were puffed WAY past normal Pepes.

Still really good, but not THE goods.

Reaction Score
View attachment 18009

Went to pepes new haven last night with wife family for her niece's bday. We waited hour and I recommended we just go to modern instead. Worst pizza I've ever had from them. It was thicker than normal doughy and a complete disappointment.

I've probably eaten there over 50 times in my life and last night was awful. Modern has been my go to for the past few years and I don't think that will be changing

Maybe Im misreading or reading too much into it but:

1. Did you end up going to Modern and it was bad this one time? OR

2. Did you stay at Pepe's, despite your recommendation to go to Modern instead, and this one time at Pepe's the meal was bad?

Just want to know if Modern was bad this time or if Pepe's was bad?

Im planning on going to Modern soon and want to know what they are particularly good at? What should I get: Sausage and Pepperoni or some other particularly good combo?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Im planning on going to Modern soon and want to know what they are particularly good at? What should I get: Sausage and Pepperoni or some other particularly good combo?
Personally, I make a point of ordering our all Modern pizzas "well done, light mozz," because the only disappointments I've had there is if the pie is too soggy in the middle, so that takes care of that.

Their Italian Bomb (bacon, sausage, pepperoni, onion, mushroom, peppers, garlic) is a hit in our office, but I prefer one meat per pie so I go with sausage or pepperoni, or meatball and sliced tomato for my meat pies. I also like their white clam with bacon, but I do prefer Pepe's white clam.

If you like meatless pies at all, eggplant and artichoke hearts (red pie) is another favorite of ours.

Reaction Score
Maybe Im misreading or reading too much into it but:

1. Did you end up going to Modern and it was bad this one time? OR

2. Did you stay at Pepe's, despite your recommendation to go to Modern instead, and this one time at Pepe's the meal was bad?

Just want to know if Modern was bad this time or if Pepe's was bad?

Modern has the best sausage pie I've ever had.

Reaction Score
Modern has the best sausage pie I've ever had.
I ranked Modern#1 but I'm sorry the best sausage pie is Zuppardis which I rank a close second overall. Zuppardis is the only place left that after 70+ years in business still makes their own fennel-anise sausage and it is the best IMO. I always get their sausage and mushroom pie whenever I go there.

August_West

Reaction Score
I ranked Modern#1 but I'm sorry the best sausage pie is Zuppardis which I rank a close second overall. Zuppardis is the only place left that after 70+ years in business still makes their own fennel-anise sausage and it is the best IMO. I always get their sausage and mushroom pie whenever I go there.

what is that, like 45 bucks for a large? :)

I like Zuppardis sausage A LOT. Havent had it in years though.

Reaction Score
confused. You ate at Pepes or Modern?

Ate at pepes last night. Saying it was awful was probably a little harsh but I expect a lot better from them. It was awful by their standards but still better than 90% if the places around

Reaction Score
what is that, like 45 bucks for a large? :)

I like Zuppardis sausage A LOT. Havent had it in years though.
Large pie at Zuppardis is mid to upper $20's with two or three toppings, maybe $30 if you want three toppings. If you want really expensive go to Sally's.

Reaction Score
2 things this board knows is pizza and women's basketball!

I was surprisingly disappointed at the pizza selection on Geno's Storrs restaurant.

Brick Oven Pizza
Gluten free bread available for additional charge
  • MARGHERITA$13.5crushed tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, pesto
  • SEA SCALLOP$17crushed tomato sauce, bacon, ranch & mozzarella
  • SALUMI$14.5salumi, crushed tomato, fresh mozzarella
  • GARLIC & ROSEMARY ROASTED 15.5ricotta, fresh spinach, fresh mozzarella
  • GRILLED ROASTED VEGGIE$14.5crushed tomato sauce, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, red pepper & mozzarella
If you have a brick oven at your disposal and you offer 5 pizzas, one with sea scallops? Egads.

The Southington restaurant has "flatbread" pizzas...which, as we know, aren't pizza.
The Mohegan food court offers a few pizzas, but one is named the Kara Wolters and, let's be honest....no one wants to eat anything named Kara Wolters.

Discuss.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I find it more troubling that he apparently offers only his own label of wine, and nothing from the Taurasi D.O.C.G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I was surprisingly disappointed at the pizza selection on Geno's Storrs restaurant.

Brick Oven Pizza
  • GRILLED ROASTED VEGGIE$14.5crushed tomato sauce, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, red pepper & mozzarella
If you have a brick oven at your disposal and you offer 5 pizzas, one with sea scallops? Egads.

The Southington restaurant has "flatbread" pizzas...which, as we know, aren't pizza.
The Mohegan food court offers a few pizzas, but one is named the Kara Wolters and, let's be honest....no one wants to eat anything named Kara Wolters.

Discuss.

So they won't make one to order with whatever you want? Usually the pizzas they list are just the house specials. To make them unique, one of them is always uniquely awful.

August_West

Reaction Score

Brick Oven Pizza

Discuss.

Scallops on a pie can actually be good but it is the rest of that mishegoss that is making me sick to my stomach.

First of all Scallops should always be on a white pie, but he puts tomato sauce on it? Im always down with Bacon when talking scallops, thats a match made in heaven so he gets a pass there. But here is the most troubling: Ranch dressing!???!!??! That is troubling enough on its own but in combination with Tomato sauce on a Scallop pizza makes me wretch just typing it. Ranch dressing is pretty much on the ketchup condiment level.

These Pizza's are truly a joke and I call for Geno to divest himself of his restaurant interests unless he stops drawing a state pay check. You cant insult the state and take our tax dollars at the same time, Geno. One or the other. Not both. Make a decision.

Final thought:

This guy has clearly forgotten his Italian heritage. Very sad.

August_West

Reaction Score
If they make one to order, me, Mau and Augie are driving down and getting a Spooker.

You think this Fake Italian even has a crushed red pepper flake in the place? Im doubtful after seeing that Pizza menu.

Reaction Score
This guy has clearly forgotten his Italian heritage. Very sad.

What would ever make you think he's forgotten his Italian heritage?

Wok-On by Geno's

Header-Wok_On-641x361.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
The abominable and, frankly, unforgivable combination of ingredients on that scallop pie has ruined my appetite for the day, at least.

I mean I actually had to go and look it up and confirm it for myself.

I thought deep may have been pasting a fake news menu created at the Onion or something. Sadly he was posting the real menu. Im having a real hard time wrapping my head around it.

And as bad as the menu is, I want to meet the who would actually order that abomination.

August_West

Reaction Score
Pesto and crushed red tomato sauce on a Margherita pie?!?

Dear God it gets worse with every look.

Hes a swindler.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I thought deep may have been pasting a fake news menu created at the Onion or something. Sadly he was posting the real menu. Im having a real hard time wrapping my head around it.

And as bad as the menu is, I want to meet the who would actually order that abomination.

#3 is the only one I'd consider ordering.

Reaction Score
Can we talk about the Kara Wolters Flatbread at the Food Court?

Kara Wolters
$12.99
Sauce & Mozzarella
Add Toppings to Your Flatbread for Only $1 Each:
Peppers • Onions • Mushrooms • Olives • Jalapeños • Tomatoes

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Olive Garden Voted Best Italian Restaurant In Annual 'Milwaukee Magazine' Awards

MILWAUKEE, WI—For the second straight year, Olive Garden took top honors in the "Best Italian Restaurant" category in Milwaukee Magazine's annual "Best Of Milwaukee" poll. "For authentic Italian cuisine and friendly service (they call it Hospitaliano), the Blue Mound Road Olive Garden is the one to beat," wrote the magazine, whose readers voted for the chain restaurant over such local stalwarts as Mimma's Cafe and Balistreri's. "Once again, Olive Garden is Milwaukee's finest." High marks were also given to the Mayfair Mall Chi-Chi's, voted "Best Date Spot" for the third year running.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Literally not one of the pies is right.

Salumi is not an ingredient. It's a category of ingredients, i.e., Italian cold cuts. Don't you want to know which salumi is/are coming on your pie? Big difference between, say, bresaola, prosciutto and salami--all of which are salumi.

Rosemary is among the most overrated and useless herbs, especially for a pizza.

Grilled veggies? Yes. Roasted veggies? No. Gross texture. Grilled and roasted? Waste.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom