OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 68 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Homewood, Illinois: Aurelio's - among the best anywhere at any price
Chicago: Lou Malnati's - the best deep dish pizza; a legend
Mahomet, Illinois: Filipo's - a mid Illinois favorite
Bloomington, Illinois: Avanti's - really good pizza that is a requirement for a degree at Illinois State University.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Long time ago there was this place on Rte 1 in Darien or Norwalk called Chicago Loop. Nice atmosphere and a pretty decent deep dish pizza.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tried Pappa Johns Pizza once. It was so bad I could not eat the entire pizza. I threw out half of it. I realize people have different tastes. Some folks swear by it. How nice for them. I like Pizza Hut, and Little Caesars pizzas. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Long time ago there was this place on Rte 1 in Darien or Norwalk called Chicago Loop. Nice atmosphere and a pretty decent deep dish pizza.
Must have been a long time ago. God no longer allows deep dish pizza in CT

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Was home n CT last weekend for Dad's memorial service. We had six apizzas from Frank Pepe's in New Haven on Friday night with three generations of family. The muz and company was wonderful.

Heading back to CT today to breakdown his house. Tough days.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Being in the Newtown area, My Place pizza is the best.

Unfortunately, our move to Florida has left us without a good pizza/ Italian place. :(

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Was home n CT last weekend for Dad's memorial service. We had six apizzas from Frank Pepe's in New Haven on Friday night with three generations of family. The muz and company was wonderful.

Heading back to CT today to breakdown his house. Tough days.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Reaction Score
Wife and I tried Savoy Pizzeria in West Hartford tonight. Very impressed with the wood stove pizza, nice decor inside, and some great beers on tap.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Was home n CT last weekend for Dad's memorial service...Heading back to CT today to breakdown his house. Tough days.

Done that. Thinking of you as you do the tedious work ahead. Be strong; keep your faith.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would ratber wake with Peyton on Sunday morning than eat a Papa Johns "pizza".

Reaction Score
Hit Modern on Friday on the way to the UConn game with my son. Had bacon and pepper (his choice). Was very good. I still have Modern as #2 behind Pepe's original and then BAR. In retrospect, should have just called it a day at that point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It astounds me that two new pizza places, both with silly names, just opened up on the same block in New Haven. "Ah-beetz" is apparently using a Subway-style assembly line process for personal pizzas cooked in coal-fired ovens; and "Olives and Oil" has wood-fired pizzas.

Anyone try either one yet? I give them each 18 months before they're out of business.

Reaction Score
Hit Modern on Friday on the way to the UConn game with my son. Had bacon and pepper (his choice). Was very good. I still have Modern as #2 behind Pepe's original and then BAR. In retrospect, should have just called it a day at that point.
I would rank mine....

1) Modern
2) Zuppardis
3) Bar
4) Roseland
5) Pepe's .... Number 1 like 15 years ago, has gone down a few notches since IMHO.

Reaction Score
I had a white shrimp pizza at Mondo in Middletown a few weeks ago that was incredible. Probably not a contender for best in CT, but still awfully good.

Reaction Score
pepes.jpg

Went to pepes new haven last night with wife family for her niece's bday. We waited hour and I recommended we just go to modern instead. Worst pizza I've ever had from them. It was thicker than normal doughy and a complete disappointment.

I've probably eaten there over 50 times in my life and last night was awful. Modern has been my go to for the past few years and I don't think that will be changing

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
View attachment 18009

Went to pepes new haven last night with wife family for her niece's bday. We waited hour and I recommended we just go to modern instead. Worst pizza I've ever had from them. It was thicker than normal doughy and a complete disappointment.

I've probably eaten there over 50 times in my life and last night was awful. Modern has been my go to for the past few years and I don't think that will be changing

confused. You ate at Pepes or Modern?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wondered the same but after reading a few times for context I'm pretty sure they ate at Pepe's.

FWIW I had a similar experience last time I ate at Pepe's. It wouldn't say it was awful, but not excellent, either. And for the hassle, it better damn well be excellent.

Reaction Score
Pepe's, was a bit hard to understand though. Never had a subpar pizza at Pepe's, Modern's or Sally's. Actually never had a pizza from any of them that wasn't outstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom