OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 71 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Geno is clearly trolling with this menu. Going to have to disagree with rosemary being useless. It works great with pork, lamb, chicken, and potatoes.
Fair enough. Useless is strong. I just don't like it much. Hate it when a bread or roll is flavored with it.

Reaction Score
Geno is clearly trolling with this menu. Going to have to disagree with rosemary being useless. It works great with pork, lamb, chicken, and potatoes.

I don't disagree that it's great with pork, lamb, chicken or potatoes. What I disagree with is you have 5 pizzas on the menu and one of them has rosemary chicken on it. The other has scallops, tomato sauce and ranch dressing. Has this guy ever even eaten a pizza before?

Reaction Score
Man all you guys with your fancy ass places in the cities and suburbs other than NYC pizza no big deal. Now take a rural drive in the state and try some of these mom and pop joints and you can get some really good pizza. Here in little "ol" Lisbon I'll put the Green Onion against any other. Challenge.

Random, but that place makes one of the two most delicious tuna grinders I have ever had... I student taught and interned at LCS down the road and would pop in on a daily basis. So freakin' good.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Im upset by this.

Because the more Im thinking about it the more I am sniffing elitism and condescension coming from the Geno camp.

As I ponder I realize that I have first (and 2nd) hand knowledge that Geno knows good food. He knows how to eat and whats good and what isnt.

So whats the deal Geno? Good food only fitting of someone of your status and income?

But when it comes to serving his fans he is content to shovel a pile of garbage in front of them, put his name on it, and then say "thats 25 dollars, please, you plebeians dont deserve the good stuff".

Where is the pride?

Thank god he doesnt run his team like that.
One would think that his menu would be great at the fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Useless is strong. I just don't like it much. Hate it when a bread or roll is flavored with it.
I don't like it much on bread either and it can be overpowering if too much is used.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that it's great with pork, lamb, chicken or potatoes. What I disagree with is you have 5 pizzas on the menu and one of them has rosemary chicken on it. The other has scallops, tomato sauce and ranch dressing. Has this guy ever even eaten a pizza before?
The pizzas sound disgusting.

Reaction Score
Im upset by this.

Thank god he doesnt run his team like that.
Uh-huh.
He sometimes brings the team by his old place when they go down to Philly to play Temple.
The kids usually get served the old-time classics:

With a full spread of penne ragù, veal scaloppini, roasted potatoes, chicken marsala, broccoli rab — and red wine for the adults — the team was treated to a true Sunday Italian feast. Common to the hometown of Montella, to which the people of the Holy Savior Club and Auriemma’s family share their heritage, the feast was prepared from scratch as it has been for generations.
(link)

Reaction Score
This. Pepe's New Haven is still the benchmark for me. The fact that the Fairfield branch is below par has no effect on the pies in New Haven.
I third this sentiment. I think there are two issues here. First, a lot of you are spoiled. The pizza here in upstate NY SUCKS...BAD. Any of these options are great compared to what I have to deal with up here. Second, there is a lot of personal preference here. I don't know how much any of the big three have "gone downhill" as much as how much people's tastes have changed with age and a wider range of experiences. I am about as Italian as you can get. My tastes are forged by my childhood experiences. Some people might hate what I love and vice-versa although my experience is that my family contains some insanely good cooks so most people love what I consider classic Italian cooking. I have an aunt in Buffalo whose food damn near brings me to tears when I eat it. For me, I rarely get back to New Haven and when I finally did, I went to Pepe's. I still love it... a lot!

Reaction Score
I live in New Haven and can hit any of them, but we always hit BAR. The thinness is what wins most over. Granted the potato pis is insane. I would also recommend a red w/. cheese and hot peppers.
Potato pis just doesn't sound appetizing. :)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here we are on page 54. I'm sure the exact conversation can be found on page 16 and page 38.

Can @August_West bring out the caviar so I can spit it out like my 4 Year Old and have a sleepover (different result, hopefully) with the 1988 edition of Elizabeth Perkins?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Olive Garden Voted Best Italian Restaurant In Annual 'Milwaukee Magazine' Awards

MILWAUKEE, WI—For the second straight year, Olive Garden took top honors in the "Best Italian Restaurant" category in Milwaukee Magazine's annual "Best Of Milwaukee" poll. "For authentic Italian cuisine and friendly service (they call it Hospitaliano), the Blue Mound Road Olive Garden is the one to beat," wrote the magazine, whose readers voted for the chain restaurant over such local stalwarts as Mimma's Cafe and Balistreri's. "Once again, Olive Garden is Milwaukee's finest." High marks were also given to the Mayfair Mall Chi-Chi's, voted "Best Date Spot" for the third year running.
OMG, This is a gag right?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Uh-huh.
He sometimes brings the team by his old place when they go down to Philly to play Temple.
The kids usually get served the old-time classics:

(link)

That's what his restaurant should do!

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in Connecticut since my UConn days. Loved Pepe's during New Haven visits. I also like Willington because... well I was a college student and it was better than Gumby's, Primo's (man those two places were horrible), Dominoes, Little Caesars, and Sgt Pepperoni (those are the ones I remember and I know, I'm dating myself). I do wonder if I'd like it now.

I just want to add, however, that the most overrated pizza around is the typical NY neighborhood pizza place. Same with their stupid bagels. Good... sure, but I can find just as good in Northern NJ (especially the pizza in my old Hoboken days) and I'm sure you can find the same in most CT towns. There is more of it in NY, but god do I get tired of every jerk from Brooklyn (that didn't even grow up there like my whole family did) that says if a place isn't using New York City water, it sucks.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Just had the new haven pizza company's pie. Located in Wolcott. Pepperoni was reminiscent of harrys but not as thick. Wood fired oven. Im giving it an 8. Solid apizza.

Reaction Score
Out of all those I would put Bar towards the bottom. Never understood why people say it's above the big 3.

Part of me thinks it's that they have it after or while drinking there and that influences their decision.

With that said the mashed potatoe pie is top notch
Bar is just that, it's bar pizza, but as bar pizza goes it's really really good. Not up to Modern or Zup standards but still good for bar pizza and the atmosphere is nice.

Reaction Score
This. Pepe's New Haven is still the benchmark for me. The fact that the Fairfield branch is below par has no effect on the pies in New Haven.
Only thing I don't like about Pepe's is their sausage pie. They slice the sausage in thin rounds like it's pepperoni, I feel cheated. The dough and crust is top notch as are the other toppings, but their sausage is lame. Compare that to Zupps, Modern or Roseland where you get big tasty chunks.

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in Connecticut since my UConn days. Loved Pepe's during New Haven visits. I also like Willington because... well I was a college student and it was better than Gumby's, Primo's (man those two places were horrible), Dominoes, Little Caesars, and Sgt Pepperoni (those are the ones I remember and I know, I'm dating myself). I do wonder if I'd like it now.

I just want to add, however, that the most overrated pizza around is the typical NY neighborhood pizza place. Same with their stupid bagels. Good... sure, but I can find just as good in Northern NJ (especially the pizza in my old Hoboken days) and I'm sure you can find the same in most CT towns. There is more of it in NY, but god do I get tired of every jerk from Brooklyn (that didn't even grow up there like my whole family did) that says if a place isn't using New York City water, it sucks.
Connecticut does pizza better than NYC and Jersey does bagels better than NYC.

Reaction Score
Only thing I don't like about Pepe's is their sausage pie. They slice the sausage in thin rounds like it's pepperoni, I feel cheated. The dough and crust is top notch as are the other toppings, but their sausage is lame. Compare that to Zupps, Modern or Roseland where you get big tasty chunks.
Modern has the best sausage pie I've ever tasted.

Reaction Score
Yes.

San Gennaro in Forestville/Bristol & Chunky Tomato in Bristol.
San Gennaro is an amazing place with tremendous pizza, wood fired brick oven, but the rest of their menu is killer. They do huge portions of great quality at very reasonable prices. Chicken parm, stuffed ricotta eggplant. Really nice staff and owner. Hidden gem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom