OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 256 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
for a variety of reasons, and having had it before, we phoned, then shortly thereafter picked up a 5 item large pie from big y, a place that we usually think of as a ripoff for most things.
$19. a very fair price in a world trending toward $30 ones.
will it make the front page of the ny times? no, but all things considered, especially value, we approve. they are charging close to $10 for digorno's and such nowadays at that ripoff place.
rumour has it that pepe's is opening up at that Clinton big y 'easy off, easy on' complex. we won't be going there if true -way better choices at more reasonably priced places locally.

'easy off, easy on.'
after starbucks opened there, i went down to try and figger out what the point was, knowing my area intimately. i sat on a bench and watched the traffic for aboot 20 minutes or so, but it was obvious after like ten.
iffn ur heading south on 95, and get a hankering for burnt coffee, say around east lyme or so, mebbe even further away ( i wouldn't know as we're not bucks caffeine addicts), you hit the magic screen in ur ride and ask 'where is a convenient starbucks?' bingo! the magic screen shows that place as a drive thru exactly proximate to exit 63's on and off ramps. like end/start of the ramp proximate. when first learning that bucks was going there, i thought 'wait, whut?' now i realize that locale will soon out revenue the other 'in town' ones around there. even northbound traffic can view it as 'easy off, easy on.'

lots of orange license plates cruising thru that joint. methinks big y, starbucks, and pepe's, if truly coming, are there for that reason, and that reason alone.
pretty crafty, i must say.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just saw this... 15 in the US and ZERO in CT... not sure how 2 Pizzerias in Miami beat our little world... Here Are the 100 Best Pizzerias in the World, According to a New Ranking
I wouldn't be too offended. The list skews heavily toward traditional Neopolitan pies.

Closest I've come to eating one of these was back when Roberto (now owner of Keste) started out here in Pittsburgh. Went to a cooking class as his place. That was almost 20 years ago, and still the best pizza I've ever had here.

Might have to take a trip to Jay's one of the days. I'm amused that there are no Detroit places on the list, but Jay's in Buffalo does both Neopolitan and Detroit and doesn't do Buffalo-style, which is pretty awful.

Reaction Score
As a former resident of Pittsburgh (4 years @ CMU waaaay back in the 80s) I always love seeing any positive reference to quality food!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As a former resident of Pittsburgh (4 years @ CMU waaaay back in the 80s) I always love seeing any positive reference to quality food!
I moved here in 2002. First five years here the food scene was about the worst of any top 50 city in US. Then it exploded. Lots of great places now, but 98% of pizza is still mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be too offended. The list skews heavily toward traditional Neopolitan pies.

Closest I've come to eating one of these was back when Roberto (now owner of Keste) started out here in Pittsburgh. Went to a cooking class as his place. That was almost 20 years ago, and still the best pizza I've ever had here.

Might have to take a trip to Jay's one of the days. I'm amused that there are no Detroit places on the list, but Jay's in Buffalo does both Neopolitan and Detroit and doesn't do Buffalo-style, which is pretty awful.
Jay's does Italian style personal pizzas. Just a little bit larger than the kind you get in Italy. It's basically $13 or $14 a pop for a pizza for one person. You can easily eat the entire pie yourself but it's more like 3/4 for 1 person. The equivalent of 4 or 5 Pepe slices.

Jay's is very good and I'm glad we have it but I'd certainly never drive 3 hours for it.

A local friend makes better pizza in her kitchen.

I'd rather have a slice from Sally's but it's an entirely different kind of thing.

Reaction Score
The large is $55, what do they charge for a large clam pie at the New Haven area places?
Prices are 12" $17.75, 16" $27.25 AND 18" $35.25. At Pepe's. They have gone up in price but still one of my stops when I go back home. No such clam pie in Florida.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we need a ruling here from this most esteemed world leading forum on all things za, as to
what exactly is the world standard on the dimensions for a large pie?

lately, and from legit on-the-ground experience, it seems that the size of a large has become a free-for-all.
truth in advertising, an all that.

ok, mebbe not 'a world standard.' in a world full of folks talking metric jibberish, fries with gravy and cheese on them, people blowing horns at lame foot games where no one ever scores, and such, i don't think too much aboot that.
better is a 'New England Standard.' that's all that really matters since i haven't been to Pine Bluff, Cucamunga, or Weehawken lately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw this... 15 in the US and ZERO in CT... not sure how 2 Pizzerias in Miami beat our little world... Here Are the 100 Best Pizzerias in the World, According to a New Ranking
I've eaten at many of the places on this list, I wouldn't knock any of them. San Mateo (27) is a personal favorite. And we all know these lists are always arbitrary more than not.....

But it's ridiculous to not have anything from New Haven (or CT/RI at all) on any top pizza list. It's either ignorance or bias against the culture of pizza in the northeast US amongst the people involved. If you have 5 places in Portland and none in the two states which have the highest concentrations of Italians in America, then you have failed to make a proper pizza list.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've eaten at many of the places on this list, I wouldn't knock any of them. San Mateo (27) is a personal favorite. And we all know these lists are always arbitrary more than not.....

But it's ridiculous to not have anything from New Haven (or CT/RI at all) on any top pizza list. It's either ignorance or bias against the culture of pizza in the northeast US amongst the people involved. If you have 5 places in Portland and none in the two states which have the highest concentrations of Italians in America, then you have failed to make a proper pizza list.
Color me confused. We looking at the same list?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Prices are 12" $17.75, 16" $27.25 AND 18" $35.25. At Pepe's. They have gone up in price but still one of my stops when I go back home. No such clam pie in Florida.
see? this is what im talkin aboot on size. this one says '18' for the large, but that poser ('Someone had tipped him off to Frank Pepe’s in New Haven, the man credited with inventing the clam pie in the ’50s, so he traveled to Connecticut. “It was like going to a cathedral. I think I might’ve gone six weekends in a row. I became obsessed with Frank Pepe’s clam pie and stylized mine based on his.”,) ripoff clam pie says 'The large, 19-inch pie.'
that clam ripoff bugs me mostly for the lemon wedge thing. and the price. seriously, i have trouble believing that a majority of patrons won't be using only a wedge or two, and prolly none at all, yet that pie requires killing a whole lemon, which will prolly just end up in the trash.
and if u think im kidding aboot where a lot of lemons end up, try working in a restaurant. u'll notice this in like one day.
we waste a lot of lemons for image and style purposes, and not food purposes. typically, they grow in arid places yet need plenty of water.

Reaction Score
I checked on one of the closest places on the list to me which is La Leggenda in Miami. They have a very unique pizza to me which does not sound that appetizing.

Has anyone ever seen a pizza with the following ingredients? Mozzarella cheese, deep fried franks and French fries. They also offer French fries as an option on other pizzas.

This is their closest to a clam pie. Tuna fillets in olive oil, fiordilatte mozzarella, onions.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Seems kinda silly. International rankings may be nice for the locals, but unless we're talking about Italy, I'm not going on a trip around the world to get pizza, and if I'm in some international hotspot, pizza is going to be pretty far down the list of food I'm ordering
I would agree with this 98% of the time. But, if you're in Eastern Europe for a couple-plus months in winter, having a good pizza place in your back pocket is a necessity. There's only so much агнешко печено one can eat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom