OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 258 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I love his posts, even if I don't always understand what's being said- no one else like him!
i like to laugh, cuz, well... here's a saying that was taught to me at a young age, and in hungarian:
'life is like a baby's diaper,
small and full of crap.'

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You needed the threat of disappointing the Sheriff.
I have no game these days. We went to David Burke prime at Foxwoods a couple weeks ago and I got a 36 Oz 75 day dry age tomahawk ribeye. I could barely finish . I’m no challenge for sheriff. But dear lord I tried.

B3AED56E-8276-4329-9950-0852DE468291.jpeg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I’m questioning life right now. I went to Sally’s in New Haven. It lacked flavor. I know they changed ownership, but it was only a little above average. Nowhere near best in the country like when I had it about 7-8 years ago.

Remember folks: don’t sacrifice quality for quantity. You don’t need to franchise.

Reaction Score
I’m questioning life right now. I went to Sally’s in New Haven. It lacked flavor. I know they changed ownership, but it was only a little above average. Nowhere near best in the country like when I had it about 7-8 years ago.

Remember folks: don’t sacrifice quality for quantity. You don’t need to franchise.
Don't question life.

Move on to something better. Things change in life. Modern is still Modern. Not sure how Pepe's stacks up.

Other Yarders are spot on with their pizza recommendations.

Enjoy life. Lots of other great pizza places out there. Don't eat at all all of them in the same day unless you want to start your own contest. :)

Reaction Score

I had Sally's for the first time this spring. Also thought it lacked flavor. I would put it a pretty distant 3rd out of the New Haven staples.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Last week a group of friends and I took a New Haven apizza tour, half the group has never had any apizza before. We hit up Colony Grill, Zuppardi's, Pepe's, Modern, and Sally's all on the same day within a couple hours of each other in that order. Consensus of the group was Modern was the best with Zupp's just barely behind. First time I had Colony and was not blown away, but then again not really my go to style of pizza.

Modern and Zupp's were head and toes ahead of everybody with Modern barely squeezing by Zupp's with the best pizza of the day. Sally's was a near third, which was disappointing because I was touting their greatness as historically they have been my favorite. Pepe's was extremely disappointing and were a large distance away from what Sally's put out and was just slightly better than Colony. Colony is not in the same domain as the aforementioned apizza establishments, but I do not think they are trying to be so no knock on them. All the pizzas were good, which was no surprise.

If I had to Prez score them I would go:
Modern - 8.7
Zupp's - 8.6
Sally's - 8.3
Pepe's - 7.7
Colony - 7.4

Reaction Score
On the way back to Shelton from Uconn win over Fresno State stopped at Modern. Always the best!
funny, because a lot of the barstool prez favorites that I’ve tried (posto in rhinebeck, ny, angelo’s in philly) have a modern vibe to it

Reaction Score

Sorry if it doesn't work. But uses the ok4 calhoun I up reference

Think I saw that in this thread. It's from when Covid started and Dave stayed in his apartment and was doing frozen pizza reviews. Frozen pizza companies started sending him pizzas to review. Making the best out of a bad situation.

Yup, just found it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fireside reopened in Gales Ferry after a kitchen fire in February. I haven't had the current offer yet, but only because they changed their hours to open at 3:00, which would mmake for a later lunch than normal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just got an email from Yelp listing "Mouthwatering pizzas" in CT. The list has all of the usual suspects plus Rawa in New Haven. Never heard of it, anyone with a report?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just got an email from Yelp listing "Mouthwatering pizzas" in CT. The list has all of the usual suspects plus Rawa in New Haven. Never heard of it, anyone with a report?
No, but I just checked their website and will definitely get there soon, for the Mediterranean food if nothing else. Looks great; the pizzas definitely look different.

Reaction Score

i've been -- it's a somewhat fancy middle-eastern spot with a pizza oven. it's pretty good, but i wouldn't go there for the pizza. get some mezze and falafel.

actually westville emessa down the block is probably my favorite middle-eastern food in the entire state and it happens to be located in the old westville apizza storefront. it's a lot more of a casual/take-out spot, but i think it's even better. and you can still get a slice there, too.

Reaction Score
It was discussed a little bit a few dozen pages back, haven't tried it out myself. Westville is a bit of a hike for me most of the time.

This is Mediterranean and the ingredients are on pita bread, but it is very tasty and the ones I ordered on February 19 are mentioned below.

Rawa in the Westville section of New Haven. Got it delivered via doordash.com.

View attachment 64810

Reaction Score
i've been -- it's a somewhat fancy middle-eastern spot with a pizza oven. it's pretty good, but i wouldn't go there for the pizza. get some mezze and falafel.

actually westville emessa down the block is probably my favorite middle-eastern food in the entire state and it happens to be located in the old westville apizza storefront. it's a lot more of a casual/take-out spot, but i think it's even better. and you can still get a slice there, too.
Agree with you on Emesa, @elmcityboy.

Ordered some from doordash today, and everything was great. Below is what I ordered. Rawa is good, but this is one of the best I have ever had.

Order Details

Eggplant Sandwich
$6.95

Tabbouleh Salad
No Dressing
$8.95

Grilled Chicken Combo Wrap
$12.00

Spinach Pie Manaeesh
$2.50

Vegetarian Grape Leaves
$7.95

Lamb Shish Kabob
Syrian Salad
$19.95

Reaction Score
I have heard and read great things about Good Ole Days in Newton. And I know the farmers they get their produce from so I know they care about their ingredients. I actually stopped by last Friday after work to grab a beer and a bite. I got the vibe from their social media that it was kinda a dive so I didn’t think twice about working outside all day and then stopping by but as I approached and saw a valet I pulled a U-turn. Gotta do takeout next time. They have a good looking normal pan style and then a Detroit or Sicilian style.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on Emesa, @elmcityboy.

Ordered some from doordash today, and everything was great. Below is what I ordered. Rawa is good, but this is one of the best I have ever had.

Order Details

Eggplant Sandwich
$6.95

Tabbouleh Salad
No Dressing
$8.95

Grilled Chicken Combo Wrap
$12.00

Spinach Pie Manaeesh
$2.50

Vegetarian Grape Leaves
$7.95

Lamb Shish Kabob
Syrian Salad
$19.95

awesome! i am sure it was all phenomenal. i always get the mixed appetizer platter and the falafel, but i am trying to branch out haha.

Reaction Score
Grape leaves were warm, soft, and moist unlike the cold ones most restaurants serve.

For $2.50 the spinach pie was moist and full of spinach. Not made with filo dough but sort of like a hamantash with filling except the filling was spinach and not prune.

Eggplant was fried and crispy, sort of like crisp bacon, but not with tomato sauce.

Tabbouleh was moist and juicy, and not dry like most other tabbouleh dishes seem to be.

Lamb was not ground, but cooked lamb like you find on a lamb chop.

Really good all around for all the dishes I had.

Tried only a small piece of chicken on the sub. That will be consumed tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom