OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 259 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I have heard and read great things about Good Ole Days in Newton. And I know the farmers they get their produce from so I know they care about their ingredients. I actually stopped by last Friday after work to grab a beer and a bite. I got the vibe from their social media that it was kinda a dive so I didn’t think twice about working outside all day and then stopping by but as I approached and saw a valet I pulled a U-turn. Gotta do takeout next time. They have a good looking normal pan style and then a Detroit or Sicilian style.

Brought it up sometime last year. Pizzas look solid with an interesting menu.

I just tried Good Old Days Pizza in Newtown; fantastic! If you are down this way give it a try. Another great pizza is from The Hub in Naugatuck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i've been -- it's a somewhat fancy middle-eastern spot with a pizza oven. it's pretty good, but i wouldn't go there for the pizza. get some mezze and falafel.

actually westville emessa down the block is probably my favorite middle-eastern food in the entire state and it happens to be located in the old westville apizza storefront. it's a lot more of a casual/take-out spot, but i think it's even better. and you can still get a slice there, too.

Agree with you on Emesa, @elmcityboy.

Ordered some from doordash today, and everything was great. Below is what I ordered. Rawa is good, but this is one of the best I have ever had.

Order Details

Eggplant Sandwich
$6.95

Tabbouleh Salad
No Dressing
$8.95

Grilled Chicken Combo Wrap
$12.00

Spinach Pie Manaeesh
$2.50

Vegetarian Grape Leaves
$7.95

Lamb Shish Kabob
Syrian Salad
$19.95

awesome! i am sure it was all phenomenal. i always get the mixed appetizer platter and the falafel, but i am trying to branch out haha.

Grape leaves were warm, soft, and moist unlike the cold ones most restaurants serve.

For $2.50 the spinach pie was moist and full of spinach. Not made with filo dough but sort of like a hamantash with filling except the filling was spinach and not prune.

Eggplant was fried and crispy, sort of like crisp bacon, but not with tomato sauce.

Tabbouleh was moist and juicy, and not dry like most other tabbouleh dishes seem to be.

Lamb was not ground, but cooked lamb like you find on a lamb chop.

Really good all around for all the dishes I had.

Tried only a small piece of chicken on the sub. That will be consumed tomorrow.
Just tried Emesa for lunch thanks to these reviews. It was excellent, thanks!

I went with my two Middle Eastern staples: falafel and ful mudammas.

The falafel was great, just about perfect for my tastes, with really good hummus, tahini and and a touch of mint I believe.

The ful mudammas was very good, almost identical to the style they used to serve at Bab al Salam in Orange, which has since closed. Also very similar to the one at Aladdin Crown Pizza. I still think Mediterranea's is the best, but I think it's because theirs is Syrian, which is a slightly different style, with the beans heated and cracked, and the addition of some garlic and a touch of tahini. Emesa is also very similar to Bab al Salam in serving it with a hot, crisp, puffed pita, which I love.

Another Bab al Salam similarity is the use of pickled radishes and other pickled veggies, which I also love.

I will definitely be back to try more of the menu.

Reaction Score
Last week a group of friends and I took a New Haven apizza tour, half the group has never had any apizza before. We hit up Colony Grill, Zuppardi's, Pepe's, Modern, and Sally's all on the same day within a couple hours of each other in that order. Consensus of the group was Modern was the best with Zupp's just barely behind. First time I had Colony and was not blown away, but then again not really my go to style of pizza.

Modern and Zupp's were head and toes ahead of everybody with Modern barely squeezing by Zupp's with the best pizza of the day. Sally's was a near third, which was disappointing because I was touting their greatness as historically they have been my favorite. Pepe's was extremely disappointing and were a large distance away from what Sally's put out and was just slightly better than Colony. Colony is not in the same domain as the aforementioned apizza establishments, but I do not think they are trying to be so no knock on them. All the pizzas were good, which was no surprise.

If I had to Prez score them I would go:
Modern - 8.7
Zupp's - 8.6
Sally's - 8.3
Pepe's - 7.7
Colony - 7.4
Zupp’s opened a take out only place in Derby last summer. I tried it and just as good as the original. I would agree with your list, the two best pies I had last summer were from Modern and Zuppardis (the original place). FYI, Zupp’s is the only pizza place left in the state that still makes their own sausage and it’s on the pie in big chunks not razor thin slices like at Pepe’s. Modern’s is also chunky style but I don’t know who the sausage vendor is. Bar should be on your list, it’s gone up in quality last couple of years.

Reaction Score
Zupp’s opened a take out only place in Derby last summer. I tried it and just as good as the original. I would agree with your list, the two best pies I had last summer were from Modern and Zuppardis (the original place). FYI, Zupp’s is the only pizza place left in the state that still makes their own sausage and it’s on the pie in big chunks not razor thin slices like at Pepe’s. Modern’s is also chunky style but I don’t know who the sausage vendor is. Bar should be on your list, it’s gone up in quality last couple of years.
Currently I agree. I had been a huge Sally’s advocate but lately it’s dropped off. I’d go Modern #1 Zuppardis is second but is the most consistent and their clam is otherworldly

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lamberti's.

A little ashamed to say how I know that.

Did a holy trinity tasting day about five years back with a handful of relatives (obviously all Italian Americans). We landed at Modern first, just before it opened and a Lamberti's truck was making a delivery. When inside, one of the pies ordered was a sausage. It csme with large crumbles, not slices of the sausage and we were so impressed (and had sufficient time to kill before heading to Wooster St) that we looked up the address (not far from the water) picked up s cooler and ice and bought two ten pound boxes from where they make the stuff.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lamberti's.

Did a holy trinity tasting day about five years back with a handful of relatives (obviously all Italian Americans). We landed at Modern first, just before it opened and a Lamberti's truck was making a delivery. When inside, one of the pies ordered was a sausage. It csme with large crumbles, not slices of the sausage and we were so impressed (and had sufficient time to kill before heading to Wooster St) that we looked up the address (not far from the water) picked up s cooler and ice and bought two ten pound boxes from where they make the stuff.
How is this possibly a source of shame?

You were in the right place at the right time and made the most of it. .

You followed up with a combination of additional research and necessary supplies to optimize the purchase, and then generously shared reliable info with this community.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Lamberti's.

I've been trying for years to figure out Pepe's pepperoni supplier with no sucesss. It's definitely a proprietary blend/recipe (very fine grind, very spicy) and delicious. And they keep it (and any boxes or packing with telltale identification) under lock and key. Which is exactly the status of their dumpster in Fairfield, which I tried diving one late night and found out the hard way (luckily did not involve red and blue lights).

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Bar should be on your list, it’s gone up in quality last couple of years.
Bar was on the list, but due to their hours we could not make it work. Good to hear they are getting better, I have not had Bar in years and while it was good then I always thought they lagged behind the other big names.

Reaction Score
Bar was on the list, but due to their hours we could not make it work. Good to hear they are getting better, I have not had Bar in years and while it was good then I always thought they lagged behind the other big names.
Bar is good, but certainly not in the same league as the greats.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bar is good, but certainly not in the same league as the greats.
True, but they are the OG with the mashed potato and bacon pie (red for me); and that and their BAR Salad are always worth the visit imo.

It does not travel well though. Always eat in.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
True, but they are the OG with the mashed potato and bacon pie (red for me); and that and their BAR Salad are always worth the visit imo.

It does not travel well though. Always eat in.
Yes on your final sentence, and generally best to enjoy a walk to & from, rather than driving & parking on Crown St.

It was well-formed, tasty and a quite enjoyable time when I last ate there, by friend's request...and we sat at the bar.

Reaction Score
What a strange list. They say they turned to Yelp, but the Yelp scores for the pizzerias they listed were pretty low. I was thinking to myself that there had to be many others with higher Yelp scores that weren't listed - and sure enough, I checked a few and they had higher scores.

For example - Harry's Bishops Corner has a 4.5 on Yelp. Colony Grill in Stamford has a 4.0. DePalma's in East Haven has a 4.0. If you're relying strictly on Yelp (which is silly to do anyways), why would they include places a score under 4.0 on the list?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What a strange list. They say they turned to Yelp, but the Yelp scores for the pizzerias they listed were pretty low. I was thinking to myself that there had to be many others with higher Yelp scores that weren't listed - and sure enough, I checked a few and they had higher scores.

For example - Harry's Bishops Corner has a 4.5 on Yelp. Colony Grill in Stamford has a 4.0. DePalma's in East Haven has a 4.0. If you're relying strictly on Yelp (which is silly to do anyways), why would they include places a score under 4.0 on the list?
not a yelp person, tho, every so often when traveling, we may look at it for locations nearby.
the only review stuff i can respect is for manufactured things like a radio or a chair, and then only if there are like a million reviews offered on the site selling it.
food reviews? i know way too many folks with weird tastes to take those seriously.

Reaction Score

I couldn't even get past the picture of a cooked frozen pizza in the beginning. What credibility does the article have with a picture like that? :)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s been years now…have you people not figured out what the best pizza is yet?
Most of them are the best, we are splitting hairs now, But you are spot on the money that Poughkeepsie"s best pizza is a bowl of cheerios. Or in @BigErnMcCracken case California pizza kitchen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I couldn't even get past the picture of a cooked frozen pizza in the beginning. What credibility does the article have with a picture like that? :)
Speaking of frozen pizza, I don't get the love for the frozen Zuppardi's pizzas. I am as big a Zupp's fan as you will find, but their frozen pizza does not in any way resemble their fresh apizza. As frozen pizzas go I suppose it's fine, but from the hype I got the sense that it was a clear step above the rest, and that has not been my experience. Maybe I am missing some special cooking technique?

Reaction Score
Speaking of frozen pizza, I don't get the love for the frozen Zuppardi's pizzas. I am as big a Zupp's fan as you will find, but their frozen pizza does not in any way resemble their fresh apizza. As frozen pizzas go I suppose it's fine, but from the hype I got the sense that it was a clear step above the rest, and that has not been my experience. Maybe I am missing some special cooking technique?

Good to know, I have a gift card for Goldbelly's that i was going use on that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom